Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:

First thing I would have done is brought My boot up
to see if it would Bite or sniff. That would be automatic.
Cops wear boots right ? not soft toe slippers.

I used to sell door to door.
at one place I got out & a rather large Dog
come over to me like Mad dogs do, & I
turned to walk back to my car & it bit me
on the Butt. felt like a grab, Didn't hurt.
by then the owner came out & started walking over.

another time, I walked onto a porch & this little mutt
maybe 6" tall got my ankle. that hurt. was like needles sinking in.
I wanted to see the dog flying throug the air with
my shoe print on it.

But either
way I Never felt fear
for my life
from a dog.

as for the cop shooting it.

If he's afraid of Dogs, He had the right.

I Would think he would understand if
a Police owned K9 got
shot for the same reason Right ?

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
I Would think he would understand if
a Police owned K9 got
shot for the same reason Right ?

Nope...shooter goes to prison (considered a cop-killer), usually...otherwise they wouldn't sick the dogs on them...usually.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Dave44 said:
AU24K said:
Perhaps my response is above the comprehension of the pedestrian observers...
Shall I tone down the intellect contained herein? :icon_scratch:

Best,
Scott

Wondering if you speak to your family in this manner? Seems as if you are trying to prove something? Just get to your point please.

Interesting that you attempt to vilify me....

My point is that perhaps I should use more monosyllable words. Maybe even occasionally misspell a couple of words.
Thank you for your observations...

Best,
Scott

Yes, and I always find it interesting when someone tries too hard to show intellect. Seems,, I don't know, Weak?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
texastee2007 said:
The Beep Goes On said:

Beep, have you ever been bit by a dog? I've seen my 23" pup take a bite out of a deers behind the size of a softball. As much as I love him if he ran a police officer off my property I would feel the shooting justified. I had him down at the Fire Station and he has never seen anyone on a bike besides me...he took off after them thinking he was protecting me...had he continued when I yelled at him I would have had to shoot him myself. He didn't know any better but if he had bit someone I have a gun in my truck and was headed for it as I was yelling. I can not allow him to ever bite someone...He never has came close....but there is always that first time. Like I said he thought I was in danger by this odd person making funny sounds on a thing he wasn't use to...and it would be easy for me to make excuses for him....but I can't do that as a responsible owner of a dog. Really he should have been on a leash...this is something no one ever does in this town.
Watch the film really close...the dog was already to him before he would have gotten the door open and got himself in the car....He might have been able to retreat to the top of the car. I bet the town has a leash law that states that animal should have been in a fenced in area. An Airedale is a pretty good watch dog.
Tee , I feel the same as you . My dog is one of my best friends and a daily companion . Rules of behavior are enforced upon her every day . Should she violate those rules by attacking a person without my consent ; I would take the responsibility to put her down as my own obligation .

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they felt it was justified, why did they try to cover-up the incident? I grew up on a ranch. My sister was killed by a horse and we know through much experience how dangerous animals can be. The man had some options....but none of us were there and I agree that none of us can second-guess the man's decision.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
texastee2007 said:
The Beep Goes On said:
If they felt it was justified, why did they try to cover-up the incident? I grew up on a ranch. My sister was killed by a horse and we know through much experience how dangerous animals can be. The man had some options....but none of us were there and I agree that none of us can second-guess the man's decision.

Oh I am so sorry for your loss, horses can be so very unpredictable. We have a child at the cemetery who was also lost because of a horse accident.

Thank you Tee...something else we have in common :angel7: :angel7:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite understandable. My mother actually lost two to horses; one when she was young and was thrown over a cliff (pregnant) and then when my sister was thrown. Our horses only got summer riding so it was always interesting to take them out to mend fence, a daily occurrence. Sundance tried to kill me everyday, no joke. Whether it was a low branch or a quick turn or whatever trick he could think of, I was just fortunate enough to anticipate and outwit. He did a right angle on me at full gallop while bareback through a hole in a buck n' rail fence. I was off, instantly, flying into the end of the fence, my hand came down directly on top of the buck and I was pushed back into the saddle. I have never seen such a confused horse. Just not my time, otherwise I would have been burger.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it looked like the cop had every right to protect himself. I would have done the same thing. The cop had to make a spur-of-the-moment decision. He should not be expected to stand there and see if the dog licks him or bites him before he makes a decision. I would treat people the same way.....even more so. If you come at me in what I percieve as a threatening manner, you will be greeted in an unfriendly way before you get to me. :icon_thumleft:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think the point is, Power is corrupting and some people should not be allowed to handle it. Frank

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a problem Scott :coffee2: My threads are set loose into the wild upon generation; their fate in the hands of ... well, that would be Jeff, I guess :wink: :laughing7:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
SWR wrote
And no... there is no law in the Constitution that protects the rights of a civilian in certain situations that makes it acceptable to kill a cop.

Good grief
<and>

Save your energy, Mike.

There is no "law in the constitution" that protects the rights of a civilian in certain situations that makes it acceptable to kill a cop. hello hello

Perhaps you would benefit by researching this matter more deeply? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense_(United_States)
Specifically US Supreme Court case John Bad Elk v. U.S. 177 U.S. 529, where a man was acquitted of killing a police officer who was attempting to illegally arrest the man. This case set legal precedent, so YES there are certain conditions where it would be the legal thing to use deadly force against an officer of the law.

I have had the ill luck to be stopped repeatedly by law enforcement in almost every state of the USA and most of the Canadian provinces and territories, even the Northwest Mounted Police once; US Border Patrol so many times I can't count, and only once received a ticket (not wearing a seat belt) - most of the stops were illegal stops, and I have had everything in the pickup pulled out, torn open and apart, scattered on the ground etc in a search for I would guess either illegal drugs or money etc without any sort of contraband ever found. (There was none to find.) I have heard all kinds of excuses given by the officers for their reason why they stopped me, from speeding to a light bulb out or the seat belt. Funny how those tail light bulbs just start working when it is questioned. When I am asked if they can search my vehicle I always say go ahead, but I watch very closely, and not once has an officer ever bothered to put back any of the things he pulled out of my vehicle. I still believe that the majority of law enforcement officers are the "good guys" but there has been a growing number of the other type for some time now.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
SWR if you re-read my post, where did I say that it was a law from the constitution? You have misunderstood, apparently. Our constitution is interpreted by the US Supreme Court to determine what the meanings are for individual cases, and the right to self defense is ruled by the court to be a part of our basic rights, and this extends to killing a police officer in certain circumstances.

It would be pretty ridiculous if you had no right to EVER use deadly force against a police officer under ANY circumstances; law enforcement officers are human beings, complete with human flaws so there are bad apples, from those on the 'take' to even murderers and rapists. A uniform and badge does not automatically mean that person wearing it has penultimate power over all.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
SWR wrote
If you cannot cite such a law... your post is moot.

I just gave you the Supreme Court case ruling amigo, in case you were not aware of it the Supreme Court rulings are interpretations of the constitutional law, so amounts to LAW. Maybe you have heard of some other rulings, which amount to LAW such as Roe vs Wade or Miranda vs Arizona; these rulings take effect as laws. So you are mistaken not only that the law does allow you to defend yourself against a law enforcement officer in certain circumstances, and that there IS such a law. Nothing moot about it.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread