Extreme?

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've put 29,000 miles on a pickup since I purchased it on February 16th. All those miles in this country, from the west coast to the east coast in three large trips so far this year, and many shorter trips (less than 1000). The only LE incident that occurred was for speeding in Louisiana. The LEO was absolutely correct, and was a good natured friendly sort to boot. It was an expensive mistake. I had sworn I'd stay out of Louisiana, but on a recent trip from Arizona to Georgia, it didn't make a lot of sense to bypass Louisiana, so I used I-20 this time. No problems.

This is a large gorgeous and great country! If there are pockets of 'bad' LEOs I have been fortunate to avoid them. But, I lead a blessed life.

So, from my experience so far this year, and all of last year (traveling about 50% of the time) I find few or no issues with false stoppage or overt bad behavior on our LEO's so far. Of course, perhaps my vehicle is not attractive to them. I've had cops pull up to my blind spot and ride with me for a couple miles, but they eventually pulled up, looked inside (I smiled and nodded - while speeding about four over) and they slowed down, crossed the median and went the other way. I won't say it doesn't happen, but it seems to me it is not a universal practice by any means.

I can honestly say that every time I have been stopped since I was about eighteen I have been wrong, and freely admit it. That is an excellent reflection on our general LEO population in my opinion. I feel sure that most of you if you analyze your stoppages and your tickets will tend to agree that when ticketed you were wrong. (perhaps it's just my experience, but it is roughly 60 years of driving, lots of tickets and more warnings than tickets).. If I had all the money I've paid out in fines, I could probably buy a new truck!

This note is just to say that the bad LEO is not the rule. It may be an exception. I am not in law enforcement.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most would agree that the majority of police are 'ok'. We've witnessed a lot of bad behavior in my neck of the woods...local Sheriff's like to ride roughshod over this area being belligerent and a bunch of jerks. It seems that the state-wide police, like the HP, are less prone to bad behavior compared to local cops.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have talked to former policemen and former state troopers and they admitted that they had run across quite a few cops unworthy of the badge, at least in their opinion. The fact that more and more incidents are being reported is a worrisome trend. No one is asking anyone to do anyone any harm; knowing the distinction between lawful and unlawful acts on behalf of the police is something that should be important to anyone who cares about the US.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
SWR said:
And no... there is no law in the Constitution that protects the rights of a civilian in certain situations that makes it acceptable to kill a cop.

Good grief

I'm still looking for what I once read... but no., it most likely doesn't spell it out exactly like that, but I'm sure there are certain areas that make it acceptable to protect yourself from them (or any person for that matter). That's why judges interpret existing laws and make such rulings, such in the case of http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.htm

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SWR said:
The Beep Goes On said:
I have talked to former policemen and former state troopers and they admitted that they had run across quite a few cops unworthy of the badge, at least in their opinion. The fact that more and more incidents are being reported is a worrisome trend. No one is asking anyone to do anyone any harm; knowing the distinction between lawful and unlawful acts on behalf of the police is something that should be important to anyone who cares about the US.

Actually, there is more and more cases of LEO's being killed/gunned down. Your data is not only skewed, but your logic is borderline pro-kill-the-cop :icon_scratch:

It goes both ways I guess. My logic is fine, thank you.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Just as food handlers are expected to uphold a higher standard, law-enforcement are also expected to adhere to a higher standard. If a cop acts illegally, it should indeed come under increased scrutiny. If a person were to videotape a cop, it should have nothing to do with previous incidents or incarcerations. Such as this case http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/08/...ideotaped-police-beating/#.TkRIX5vtFRA.reddit

Trying to discredit any actual wrongdoing in a video by pointing out the character of a person does not nullify the actual video itself.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Police should not be considered as anything but people doing a difficult job. No one forced them to take that type of job. Most have my gratitude and respect for doing so.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with simply being aware that the police may, at times, overreach their authoritative bounds.

The last thing you want to hear from a cop: "I am the law!"

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I once heard someone say that cops need to be drafted, because everyone that wants to be a cop, shouldn't be one.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO Matt: you posted--> The problem is that you have no way of knowing which ones you CAN trust, and which ones you CAN'T:

Curiously enough, that is the exact reason many police act the way they do, actually defensively. could you trust a civialian to always -"come along Old Chap"??.

Don Jose de La Mancha

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
wow that's messed up! He didn't even try to do anything i mean even if i felt i was in danger c'mon its a dog i would have either tried talking to it and seeing if maybe he just wants to play and if i still felt threatened i would get my happy a$$ back in the car!

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
HIO Matt: you posted--> The problem is that you have no way of knowing which ones you CAN trust, and which ones you CAN'T:

Curiously enough, that is the exact reason many police act the way they do, actually defensively. could you trust a civialian to always -"come along Old Chap"??.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Do you think that a cop that acts beyond the scope of his job desciption, based on any civilians actions is justified? Do you feel that a cops actions based on personal feelings should be justified when dealing with an unruly civilian?

Or, given the level of trust and power that he/she has been given, should they use the utmost of unbiased judgment when dealing with a problem?

I will add that it's a common policy with police (an unsung rule of thumb), that during any investigation, if there is a dog in the presence during an investigation, they will tell the officer to go ahead and neutralize any dog that may cause a problem during the investigation. This is for the officers safety, as dogs have unpredicted behaviors. Even puppies.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A jury in Chicago thought this was excessive. An officer's survival may depend on doing things the same way, every time, with excessive force, but then they are no longer human. It makes one wonder...the general rule of civilization is to 'do nothing considered hateful to others', yet they, the protectors of civilization, are exempt from this rule. Certainly, no officer would like to have their dog shot in front of them, would they?

Do you have to join the dark side to fight it? The goal is to defeat, not become, what you despise. Shoot, as far as I know, facing that stress everyday may do the same thing to me :dontknow:

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2266575&spid=

Jury awards family $300K after police kill man’s dog during search
August 20, 2011 10:15 a.m.
Thomas Russell III describes watching a police officer shoot his canine “best friend” two years ago as “the scariest thing I ever saw.”

On Thursday, a U.S. District Court jury decided Russell, 20, and his family deserved to be compensated for the Feb. 27, 2009, police search of the family’s South Side home during which “Lady,” the family’s black Labrador, was shot dead. The jury awarded the family about $300,000.

“That was my best friend,” said Russell, who was 18 at the time. “We did everything together. When I worked out, she’d be right there watching me. She’d sleep when I’d sleep.”

The Russell family originally sued the city of Chicago in January 2010, accusing police of excessive force, false arrest and inflicting intentional emotional harm — among other claims — during the 2009 search of the family’s apartment in the 9200 block of South Justine. Though police searched for drugs, they found none in the apartment, the family’s lawyers say. Russell and his younger brother, Darren, were handcuffed during the incident, attorneys for the family said, and both boys had shotguns placed against their heads. At some point, Lady appeared and an officer shot her, the family’s lawyers said. Lady was a sweet dog, and police had no reason to fear her, Russell said.

Jenny Hoyle, a city’s Law Department spokeswoman, said they are “extremely disappointed” with the verdict. “The officers involved in this case were executing a valid search warrant when this incident occurred and were simply protecting themselves,” Hoyle said. “We are extremely disappointed and reviewing all of our options. In particular, we think the damages awarded to the plaintiffs were excessive.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
AU24K said:
"Evil" and "legal' is two sides of the same coin, what is your take of the flip of such coin?

I disagree... Evil has nothing to do with 'legal'. and illegal, has nothing to do with Evil. Take for example the people that got arrested for giving free food out in a public park. It's illegal but not evil. Or a cop that shoots a shitshu that's in a cage of the home they just raided. It's legal, but entirely evil. Or, a force that takes children away from the mother because she 'smokes pot'. It's not illegal, but very evil.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
AU24K said:
Perhaps my response is above the comprehension of the pedestrian observers...
Shall I tone down the intellect contained herein? :icon_scratch:

Best,
Scott

No, just speak as if you were talking to someone that is on their 4th or 10th bourbon. ;)

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might have been thinking that there's 'a fine line' between a cop and a criminal. I don't mean this in a bad way. A good cop knows the streets and the folks he's likely to deal with. But, familiarity breeds contempt and a small percentage may not be equipped to handle it and cross the line. We all walk the line in some way or another every day.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:

Best,
Scott

Wondering if you speak to your family in this manner? Seems as if you are trying to prove something? Just get to your point please.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:

Funny thing, being on the other side of this recently. I was attacked by a full grown German Shepard. Escaped the owner as he entered his house and came up from behind me. Bite my left hand and when I got it out of his mouth he lunged on to my right arm, leaving 3 puncture wounds (and the imprint of his other teeth). I lifted him off the ground and twisted his jaw with my right arm. Then he circled around and lunged at my face. I grabbed the dog by the choke chain/neck, slammed him to the ground and stopped the attack.

The following day when I was doing the police report I was asked why I was on the property, if I had permission to be there and if I had done anything at all that might have provoked the dog. The cops should have to live by the same rules as the rest of us. The cop was out of line, he was not asked to come on to that property.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Dave44 said:
AU24K said:

Best,
Scott

Wondering if you speak to your family in this manner? Seems as if you are trying to prove something? Just get to your point please.

I think that was in response to my stupidity. He's right... I misread his post (I was winding down for the night so I wasn't on target at the time... so to speak). It's my fault. All the same... I was thinking earlier about responding with... "I don't come here for intellectuals... I come for people that love to dig in the dirt" (A humorous defusing, if you will). But again, my stupidity was probably the cause of that. I do see things a little blurry from time to time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread