113.2 KB · Views: 684
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: "MUSHROOMS?"

Putting your destiny in somebody elses hands. :laughing7: ? Eat the wrong mushroom youll be dead quicker than a fart in a hurricane. :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All mushrooms are eatable, it's just that some will kill you. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Is that called tempting fate? Frank
Allright here's the big question. You got caught in this big storm, every thing is covered with snow but this patch of mushrooms. You have two choices, eat the mushrooms or starve to death! Now if you eat the mushrooms, you have a chance of two outcomes, survive and get out or die of poisoning quickly. So you see, It's good to know your mushrooms!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

All i was basically saying was dont trust your life to somebody on the internet.Nothing at all wrong with knowing your mushrooms. I think theres three outcomes to your scenerio...3..the mushroom you eat incapacitates you so youre lying on the ground in agony,helpless,fair game for any hungry carnivore that comes along. :laughing9:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Franklin the antidote mushroom usually grows near the poison one. Trouble is if you eat the antidote one before you eat the poison one it won't work :laughing9: I suggest you a left winger with you for the test :dontknow:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Onfire, that sounds like the bear theory. Always hike with someone that is slower than you are.
Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If there are mushrooms, there are other edible plants nearby.. It's far easier learning edible plants than mushrooms...While you dine on mushrooms, I'll go for the rock tripe :thumbsup:

P.S. rick tripe is supposed to taste like scrambled eggs, but they don't :laughing9:

Bon appetite

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pickem and send the to Joe Roagan on Fear Factor, and he'll get somebody to tryem out for ya. :hello2:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

some make you see funny things. OOPPS i didnt say that :-X

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too risky, eat the plants around the mushrooms, you'll have better luck, use the Universal Edibility Test.

Everyone should know the Universal Edibility Test as a matter of survival. :wink:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeep said:
Too risky, eat the plants around the mushrooms, you'll have better luck, use the Universal Edibility Test.

Everyone should know the Universal Edibility Test as a matter of survival. :wink:
i remember being told tree mushrooms were edible. You had to boil them with a silver coin to find out if there wuz rust under the tree or it wuz the wrong kind. If the coin turned black dont eat it. Its better not to eat umm unless you know wat the heck your doing :read2:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I remember one test, do or die situations though. This isnt just for mushrooms, but any plant. Take a very small amount of the plant or mushroom and place it in your mouth. Any kind of burning sensation, do not eat.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

That sure will keep you from being poisoned, but you will starve to death. It eliminated jest about all vegetables and berries with the visual description plus most grains. Frank

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
That sure will keep you from being poisoned, but you will starve to death. It eliminated jest about all vegetables and berries with the visual description plus most grains. Frank

No doubt, it may of been a bad example to give without the rest of the story.

For those that are interested that is just to keep you from killing yourselves. The actual training and survival
manual lists good plants and the identification of them. This is for the times in extreme situations when
you are in a unfamiliar place surrounded by unfamiliar flora.

Sort of like Lost in Space or Twilight Zone and even Military service.

Now that the NDAA has passed it may come in handy real soon.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mushrooms I don't play with at all.

I have a mush hunting book with pics.....AND EVEN with that I am wary of eating one I find growing LOL

My MIL showed me some that are known to be fine and I picked some with her a while ago...but haven't done it on my own.

I don't trust myself and it isn't worth it to me.

I grew some shitake mush on logs. very simple to do. mush growing is a great hobby. one Xmas I bought a mush. box for hubby. we grew delish mush from that gift box, it was fun.

WOW I love mushrooms. eat them alot

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

To identify mushrooms from photos you need:

1) photo of cap from top
2) photo of underside of cap, close-up
3) photo of entire stem

These photos are similar to several fungi I know.

All mushrooms are edible once. Some mushrooms are edible more than once.

That said, many/most mushrooms are edible and will not kill you. But wouldn't you rather KNOW? I would, and do.

I too have grown mushrooms, and hunt for many others. I'm guessing these are probably not going to get well identified here. But if the photos were posted at mushroomobserver.com, you might get better opinions on what they are.

General rule of thumb: go mushrooms hunting with several experts. If you find someone that will tells you they can identify all mushrooms, get better mushroom expert. NOBODY KNOWS ALL FUNGI! Most experts will tell you that. Most experts I know make identifications only with specimens in hand and after looking through a microscope.

That said, photos 1-4 look possibly like Paxillus involutus (Poisonous!) but might be Suillus (need photo of gills or pores for a better guess).
Photo 5: may be Lenzites
Photos 6: Lepista nuda, especially is you have had a hard freeze recently. Should have a violet-colored flesh.
Photo 7: might be Rozites caperata; but could also be several rather poisonous Cortinarius fungi
Photo 8: if over 4" across the cap and growing from wood, could be Lentinus or Lentinula; if growing from ground, could be Gomphus.

If mushrooms still out, take a photo of cap, stem (including anything deeply embedded in the ground), and under the cap, and send to me in a PM. I'll try to ID it. But don't guarantee anything I don't find myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread