JUDDZILLA

Dec 11, 2011
Allentown, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: "MUSHROOMS?"

Tuberale said:
JUDDZILLA said:
120YEARS!!! You do realize that a minute seems like an hour and an hour seems like a day on "Shrooms". Just a thought that maybe "Trippin" every 28 days for a lifetime may distort any "actual" conception of time. Might be fun for a while. I do miss Gerry (Garcia),rest in PEACE!!
The Mazatlec Indians are not the only long-lived group in the world. Another group lives between Turkey and Georgia, I believe. They also reguarly eat a mushroom considered poisonous here. And are supposed to live to 130 years. Or older.

Maybe they don't have McDonald's',Little Debbie snack cakes, Marlboros and cheap malt liquor. U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!
All jokes aside, that is interesting and sounds like something modern medicine may need to research if haven't done much yet. One problem with that may be is the pharmaceutical companys cant make much growing mushrooms compared to the amount of profit on modern medications they may produce. As well as other medications that would no longer be necessary. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. These are just thoughts on an interesting topic.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: "MUSHROOMS?"

The Australian press is so involved with its readers that it didn't even identify the fungi involved. A better article would have had photos of the mushrooms placed side by side.

Amanita phalloides is mycorrhizal, meaning it requires a host plant to survive. In Australia one should be cautious about collecting mushrooms near oak trees for exactly this reason. There are many other Amanita mushrooms also growing in Australia.

The Chinese mushroom the chef thought he had found was Volvariella volvacea, also known as the "Paddy Straw Mushroom" because it is grown on spent rice straw. Easy to grow, an abundant producer that yields up to 2 pounds fresh-weight mushrooms per 1 pound dry-weight straw. Quite a tasty IMO. I eat it a lot. Has a slimy cap when cooked. Easy to find in grocery stores in the US.

Death Cap mushroom is Amanita phalloides. The photo accompanying the story doesn't really do it justice. This Amanita has a distince greenish tint to the cap: one of the key identifying features. DEADLY POISONOUS. Grows on the ground, never on straw. Never slimy, even after being cooked.

The few people who have eaten A. phalloides and survived have stated the mushroom tastes great: firm, meaty texture; fine flavor, holds together well in cooking. BUT ... Amanitas have very strong pain killers as well. These pain killers mask the fact that your liver, pancreas, and kidneys are being dissolved from the inside. The pain killer effect lasts for up to 48 hours after ingestion; is as powerful as morphine but not addictive; and masks the damage being done to your body. The period from 48 to 72 hours after ingestion is crucial in treatment. Sometimes tincture of milk thistle is used in Europe and the United States to detoxify the body. But after 48 hours without treatment usually liver transplant is considered. Even just handling this mushroom, then accidentally eating food from un-washed hands is enough exposure for permanent organ damage and serious medical complications.

Here is a photo of Amanita phalloides: http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Amanita_phalloides.html

Here is a photo of Volvariella volvacea: http://morelmushroomhunting.com/volvariella_volvacea.htm

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Mushrooms,I sure would like to have a mess of Fried

Dry Land Fish and Ramps right about now!! I miss

them Smoky Mtns.

God Bless

Chris

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
When Tuberale brought up the Amanita family I was reminded of one in particular. I'm sure most will have seen illustrations of the Amanita muscaria. It's often in books like Alice in Wonderland and others. Although it comes in many colors it's usually pictured as the red mushroom with oatmeal looking flakes on top.
This was Europe's magic mushroom. Mind altering history. The family has the most deadly species with names like Death Cap, Destroying Angel along with one that is a delicacy.
I just find it curious that mushroom is pictured so often. Especially in books dealing with the mysterious..

Many books on collecting will say the only positive way to know a mushroom is with a spoor print. Too often a mushroom in the button stage can be confused. There are some though that are hard to mistake. I used to eat Inkies, Puffballs, and my favorite, Sparassis radicata. They are the size of a cabbage.
The last time I found one I had it in the kitchen and when I cut into it, dozens of centipedes ran out all over the kitchen. I guess they were going to spend the winter inside the mushroom. Kinda freaky.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread