May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Do Y'all Remember.....

greydigger said:
Now jobs go offshore because it's cheaper.
With slave labor.

Not to get off topic, just an interesting article about who makes your iPhones and iPads.

Foxconn, a company that builds iPhones and iPads — among other techy items, employs more than 400,000 people in a factory where they sit silently for a standard shift of 12 hours. Rooms are filled with 20,000 to 30,000 workers and talking is prohibited, Foxconn employees said in an interview with Mike Daisey, a monologist and author. Cameras watch every move of the assembly line. Employees work, eat and live in the factory, staying in 12-by-12 cement rooms that house 15 beds

http://oudaily.com/news/2012/mar/13/pointcounterpoint-apples-partnership-foxconn-uneth/

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember...
School:(con't)

I remember Teachers and Principals who recognized my hidden potentials and encouraged me.
I remember classmates ostracizing me and the "Bullying" that I endured.
Most of all, I remember my Mom's acceptance of my abilities and nurturing them.

It is all a part of what leads me to be who I am today.

My Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Remember...
Siblings:

I have one Sister, 18 months older than me. The rivalries that occurred were typical. :dontknow:

I commandeered her "Easy Bake Oven," a Christmas present that she got when I was about 8 years old. She took control of my Tonka Truck. Fair enough.

I learned how to pick the lock on her diary and read juicy details of her current boyfriend and utilized these revelations to my advantge by negotiating transfer of selected items of her record albums to my collection.
Some might consider this to be "blackmail."
I saw it as "leveraged negotiations"....this was when I was about 12 years old.

Once this alleged activity was disclosed to my parents, a lock was installed on my Sister's bedroom door. . .
Took me about 15 minutes to figure out how breach this obstacle. Today, I'm a Locksmith.
I learned. Yes, I learned to not disclose the basis or source of my knowledge. :headbang:

Kinda wish I had a brother or two...nothing like a coupla good ole fistfights to bring brothers close.... :laughing7:

Best,
Scott

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Au24k,
Sibling rivalry :laughing7: My sister was 9 years younger than me and I had to be her protector .
My first wife and I had 3 girls and a boy , stairstepped a little over a year apart . They looked after
each other in public and were farm kids at home . Little brother got wooled a lot at home . I cautioned them that he would soon be the same size they were , so they better be nice to him .....
They laughed .
Oldest daughter got all dolled up for her her first date with a guy that we had never met that was coming to our house for the first time . That's when the boy struck .
He tackled and hog tied her , then stuffed her behind the couch before the guy showed up . Her screams for help brought my response of ,"I told ya so :laughing9: "
Guy showed up and introduced himself and his intention to take my daughter out . I splained to him that he was welcome here and could take her on the date as soon as he got her from behind the couch and untied her :laughing7: Coulda knocked his eyeballs off with a stick .
Good outcome . They been married for many years now and have 2 wonderful kids of their own :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember:
Adolescent "Love."

I remember asking out a girl to go roller skating when I was about 12.
Being rejected but still went roller skating alone....

Hormones, a new and unknown player in the game has just made your opinions of the opposite sex re-consider how you view others. Their desires and goals...your desires and goals.

Trying to determine the fine line of the difference between Love and Lust.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Best,
Scott​

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My God, what fury (ignorance) have I unleashed by this previous post?

It clearly shows that I can remember when computers were as big as the whole room!

Please excuse this "Techno-Age 'Old Timer'" and I promise that I'll try to keep up....{dang...how would I fix that last post?}

Oh,
Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK,
For the topic of adolescent "Love," I will attempt this poignent video of my adolescence....

I hope this works...

I remember my first love. How 'bout you?

Best,
Scott​

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I give up! Hands in the air, total defeat, I give up.

All of this linking, copy and paste, and all of this other computer techno crap makes me pine more for the mountains and a simpler life....
A'hem...

But y'all can follow along with my feelings, right?

My Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

truckinbutch said:
Au24k,
Sibling rivalry :laughing7: My sister was 9 years younger than me and I had to be her protector .
My first wife and I had 3 girls and a boy , stairstepped a little over a year apart . They looked after
each other in public and were farm kids at home . Little brother got wooled a lot at home . I cautioned them that he would soon be the same size they were , so they better be nice to him .....
They laughed .
Oldest daughter got all dolled up for her her first date with a guy that we had never met that was coming to our house for the first time . That's when the boy struck .
He tackled and hog tied her , then stuffed her behind the couch before the guy showed up . Her screams for help brought my response of ,"I told ya so :laughing9: "
Guy showed up and introduced himself and his intention to take my daughter out . I splained to him that he was welcome here and could take her on the date as soon as he got her from behind the couch and untied her :laughing7: Coulda knocked his eyeballs off with a stick .
Good outcome . They been married for many years now and have 2 wonderful kids of their own :icon_thumright:

:laughing7: :hello2: :headbang:

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Remember...

Songs and Music:

I remember sneaking under the covers at night in bed when I should have been asleep, instead listening to the Saint Louis Cardinal baseball games on an early AM/FM transistor radio. (1960's)
I remember Pat Boone.
I remember the Four Seasons.
I remember music BEFORE Disco!!

Post your songs and what they mean to you! :headbang:

Best,
Scott

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember sitting in the Assistant Principles office being lectured about "Defiance of Authority" and noticing a marijuana plant in his planter.
I remember drive-in movies and learning anatomy.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I remember sitting in the Assistant Principles office being lectured about "Defiance of Authority" and noticing a marijuana plant in his planter.
I remember drive-in movies and learning anatomy.
:award_star_gold_2: I spent half of each school day in study hall instead of the VoAg classes I was scheduled for in order to graduate . Deal struck between the principal and I so he didn't have to fire the newbie VoAg teacher . Every time this guy started telling us bs he'd gotten from a book I would call it that because I was farming for a living . .... He'd get all pissy and throw me out of class . I was Pres of FFA . When I headed for the office the whole class would walk out and go with me .
Advanced studies in biology and anatomy at the local drive-in movies stood me well in life .

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Goin down to the Crick with a sack of Frito's and a Gatorade sittin around throwin rocks at the Gators,man,that was a long time ago! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Wow!
Now! What a time for remembering!

Think back....Summer is comin' up, skool's almost over for a 'nother year and you're 12 again! :headbang:

Whatcha gonna do this summer? What are your plans for this year?

Me? Well, campin' and enjoying life! {beats the alternative, right?}

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
12 yrs. old I was walking a ditch above Ashland Or trying to sneak up on frogs. (Never did it).
Next year I pulled over while driving a truck and a trailer in the middle of the night on a one way street in the state capital because I never saw a one way street before and cars on wrong side scared me.
Grey

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember oiling up my baseball glove and tightly wrapping a softball inside and binding it with an old belt.
By this time of year, I'd be ready to play some ball with the neighborhood kids which usually ended up in arguments/fights. I miss playing baseball. I miss the fights, too! :laughing7:

Life is about making memories.
I know that you got more....let's hear 'em! :headbang:

Best Wishes,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 yrs. old I was walking a ditch above Ashland Or trying to sneak up on frogs. (Never did it).
Grey

Best way to sneak up on frogs is at night and shine a flashlight in their eyes.
When I'd go fishin' with my Dad, I was the "Bait Boy." "Get me some frogs, Boy! You know them muddies and blue cats love frogs"
(Unfortunately, gar and snapping turtles love frogs also)

Works every time. :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

PS. Later, after independently studying herpetology, I learned that the frogs of my search were "rana pipiens" or also known as "leopard" frogs.

frog.jpg

Northern Leopard Frog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is also the specie of frog used for Biology disection projects....​

Last edited:
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember toys that I played with that are now "antiques" and highly sought after by collectors.
I wish that I would have saved my toys, in their original boxes and would have not played so "hard" with those toys.
As an example....Hot wheels cars, the ORIGINAL G.I. Joes with the accesories and all of the coins that I collected and found with my first metal detector.

My first metal detector was one that I saved my paper route money for. It was a model from Radio Shack that I had to put together from a kit.
I knew about electronics; resistors, diodes, electrolytic capacitors and such....
This was in the early 70's and this machine was the bomb!
With this simple detector, I found my oldest coin to date: a 1788 Massachusetts Half Cent!

I also remember telling my sister that I was going to find a big treasure and that
I would make sure that she had a castle that I bought for her......

I remember.....many childhood dreams.

My Best Wishes,
Scott

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
12 yrs old fishing alot. Mowing yards,shoveling driveways. Get to hunt small game on a licence now! All the older kids were gone,war or college.us younger ones tried to fill the gaps. Still in scouts then and time for jr.highschool. while many people said a restaurant where you eat off throw away dishes and don,t have a waitstaff won,t work the nearby city had a McDonalds! Sold sweet corn in season for 35 cents a dozen. Summer,people had ox roasts and fish frys,later corn roasts. Ride a bike a long ways to swim on hot days and return just as hot! Getting to old to run through sprinkler in underwear. Girls are interesting but no idea what their really scheming yet. Got to see the ocean in Florida,left for there in a lite snow on Easter. Don,t remember to much of last 30 plus but life was good at 12! Almost forgot,bought my first 8track tape!Simon and Garfunkle s.p.? Bridge over troubled water.

Last edited:

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Fun thread. Many shared memories so I won't repeat. But. A funny memory just hit me. It was about '67 and all the skirts were Short. My older sister and I thought my Mom should definitely get with the "times"...she was a school teacher and my sister and I thought it was so old fashioned that all her dresses were "below the knees"...So...My sister and I took all her dresses and Re-Hemmed them! They were now 4 inches higher! (My sister was the "sewer", I was the "tacker") Oh boy, did we get into trouble!...Thank goodness we didn't cut the dresses so my Mom could put them back to "normal"...Oh well, we tried....:)

MinerGirl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions