Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I own a house on a small lake and would like to have about 7 large pines removed. The trees are very tall and straight. I'm guessing most are about 15 inches in diameter with some maybe 20 inches.

Question: Is it possible to have these removed free for the lumber?

They would have to be topped because we can't just fall trees there.

Anyone ever have experience along these lines?

Who should I contact?

Thanks

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
No sawmill will knowingly accept yard trees because of metal . An insured professional tree trimmer is your best bet .

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find someone in the tree service business who legit and most importantly insured. They can give you an estimate of lumber/firewood value right on the spot or at least after contacting the closest sawmill. Lumber prices are pretty low right now, at least for standing trees. The farther you are from a mill the more it costs to haul them and the less you'll get. The really isn't much lumber there. Maybe a firewood dealer might remove them. Do make sure they deal with everything especially the slash as there will be a mess. If you have a spot for the chips you could save the cost of hauling it off.

I don't see you making much if anything off them but perhaps you can break even. Get it in writing before the fire up the first saw. Good Luck.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would ckeck with your local D.N.R. to see if you can even cut the trees believe it or not a guy here in Wisconsin got sued by his neighbors because he cut down his own trees. Taking the stumps out or ground will set you back more then a few$$$ also because they are pine the ground will have to be taken care of a lot of acid maybe plant Rodadem's My best guess is between 5k to 6 k with stump removed your cost.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
First I would ckeck with your local D.N.R. to see if you can even cut the trees believe it or not a guy here in Wisconsin got sued by his neighbors because he cut down his own trees. Taking the stumps out or ground will set you back more then a few$$$ also because they are pine the ground will have to be taken care of a lot of acid maybe plant Rodadem's My best guess is between 5k to 6 k with stump removed your cost.

Thanks and I believe you're right.
Also, I know there are a lot of weird laws. In any area though it depends on who you know. My dad filled in a large swamp and didn't even get a warning note. He was close friends with the top DNR CO in our area and also the top guy in the USACE. The CO went fishing with dad and he'd rebuke my dad for throwing back undersized trout.

I'm very familiar with law enforcement and couldn't post here 1/10 of what goes on in the higher levels of the major branches.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very familiar with law enforcement and couldn't post here 1/10 of what goes on in the higher levels of the major branches.

:laughing9:
you don't even have to post the 1/10th because people know more than 3/4 of what goes on already. it is the 1/4 of 'them' playing with the people that worries me :)

S

stefen

In dealing with any government official, think of yourself being a bird.

When on an upper branch and you look down and see all kinds of birds that have been crapped on.

When on a lower branch you look up and all you see are a$$holes...

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
If you're not in a hurry (never good to be in a hurry), there's probably a good chance you can trade the trees for their removal. You didn't say what species of pine, but I'd start at the nearest sawmill. In some areas, even red pine has become more desireable. There is also a site--www.forestryforum.com where you could network with folks in your area. Around here, the Amish will drop them and take the trees in trade. If I could, I would sure take my time. Around here, we just grind the stumps @ about $40 per stump. Good luck

I'd love to read the wisconsin story about the neighbor's lawsuit if someone can find it.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want the trees to die, I'd suggest driving copper nails around the base. It might take awhile, but the results are guaranteed.

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many tree service companies has stump grinders and will grind down all the stumps. Usually about a $100-$150 per stump to do it, some may do it cheaper, but then you will be left with stump grindings all over the place! They can usually grind down a good size stump in about 20-30 minutes. You can easily clean the chippings up with rakes and shovels.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll repeat the general sentiment - make sure the company is licenced and bonded. Also, why not keep the wood on the lot, dry it and use the lumber for yourself or cut it up into stove sized pieces and use it for firewood? You might even ask around with neighbors and see if you can sell it locally, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions