The real history that you were never taught in school Part 3 Betsy Ross

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The real history that you were never taught in school Part 3 Betsy Ross

Its a rain day so no work today.I figured that I would get a short part three out.

Betsy Ross did exist but,she did absolutely nothing.She played no role whatsoever in the creation of the United States flag or any other flag for that matter.Betsy Ross came to prominence around 1876 the centennial,when some of her descendants,seeking to create a tourist attraction in Philadphia largely invented the myth of the first flag.So what it boils down to was that it was an attempt at a money making con job.Accordingly if George Washington is the father of our country,then Betsy Ross was the blessed virgin Mary.I'm sure some people here did plays in elementary schools about her.Such as,Washington calls on the humble seamstress Betsy Ross in her tiny home and asks her if she will make the nations first flag to his design.And Betsy promptly brings forth from her lap the nation itself, and the promise of freedom and natural rights for all mankind.Another farce,one of many,in the short history of the United states.

For part four I was thinking Thanksgiving but,i might wait until the holiday as a dedication.Ive been thinking of a president,Woodrow Wilson.Text books actually participate in creating the social archetype.Wilson is portrayed as good,an idealist,for self determination,not colonial intervention,foiled by an isolationist senate.Or was he a racist to the extreme.You shall find out.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a con job? questionable but could be what a family member did do, but again it can't be proven or disproven about the flag.
(for me personally, I do question her involvement and the historical facts but can't prove anything :) )

here is some real history on this:

The Betsy Ross StoryAlthough the first American flag is deemed "the Betsy Ross Flag," her actual involvement in its development is highly debated. Most historians and vexillologists agree that Betsy Ross probably didn't design or sew the first American flag, but for more than a century Americans have accepted the story as history.

Betsy Ross' story didn't surface until 34 years after her death, when her only surviving grandson, William J. Canby, presented a paper he wrote to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. The paper included stories he had heard from his grandmother (Betsy Ross) and other family members throughout the years. Canby was 11 years old when his grandmother died, but the stories were kept in his family as an oral tradition.
Below is a condensed version of the Betsy Ross story, according to Canby's paper:

In June of 1776, George Washington, who was a frequent visitor of Betsy Ross' shop in Philadelphia, came to Betsy with a congressional committee comprised of himself, Robert Morris, and Col. George Ross (a relative of Betsy's late husband). The committee appointed Betsy the task of sewing a flag based on a rough drawing by Col. Ross. She offered various suggestions for improvement, including making the flag more symmetrical and using five pointed stars instead of six pointed. They accepted her suggestions, and she made the first American flag. After flying the flag at the peak of one of their vessels, the committee brought the flag to the State House, and Congress unanimously approved it.

The Betsy Ross story was made public after the close of the Civil War. In its state of emotional, economical and social recovery, America embraced the patriotic tale. The story was popularized again as nationalism spread in response to increasing emigration from Europe. Between 1885 and 1892, the American flag was celebrated with the births of Flag Day and the Pledge of Allegiance. The Betsy Ross story was published in books, magazines and newspapers. Today countless children's books depict the tale.

The main reason historians and flag experts do not believe that Betsy Ross designed or sewed the first American flag is a lack of historical evidence and documentation to support her story.

No records show that Continental Congress had a committee to design the national flag in the spring of 1776
George Washington was not a member of Continental Congress, but rather the commander and chief of the Continental Army, so it would be unlikely that Washington would have headed the committee
Although Betsy Ross kept detailed records, no invoice or document was found linking to this transaction
There is no evidence to show that Betsy Ross and George Washington knew each other, or that George Washington was ever in her shop
In letters and diaries that have surfaced, neither George Washington, Col. Ross, Robert Morris nor any other member of Congress mentioned anything about a national flag in 1776
The Flag Resolution of 1777 was the first documented meeting, discussion or debate by Congress about a national flag
-----------------------------
it is a tale. one that can not be proven or disproven actually.
there is not enough true historical written data on this event or the actual making of the first flag.
I was not taught in school she made it. I was told that it was a 'tale' embraced by the nation for patriotic reasons and some accept or not accept this historical account. I was basically taught that she was part of the tale in making the first flag. Not that she DID DO it for sure. -----what lame school did you attend? Of course schools put on plays with Betsy Ross etc. they are patriotic and fun and feel good for our country and has survived the test of time.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was basically taught that she was part of the tale in making the first flag. Not that she DID DO it for sure. -----what lame school did you attend? Of course schools put on plays with Betsy Ross etc. they are patriotic and fun and feel good for our country and has survived the test of time.

Youre assuming that i wasnt taught the same thing,tisk tisk,i was taught the same thing.:laughing9:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
here is some real history on this:

The Betsy Ross StoryAlthough the first American flag is deemed "the Betsy Ross Flag," her actual involvement in its development is highly debated. Most historians and vexillologists agree that Betsy Ross probably didn't design or sew the first American flag, but for more than a century Americans have accepted the story as history.

Yes, people are so gullible, they'll believe anything. Just **** ** *** **** ******* ** ********* !!! (Comment edited before posting by ME)

The main reason historians and flag experts do not believe that Betsy Ross designed or sewed the first American flag is a lack of historical evidence and documentation to support her story.

Very true, yet it is believed. However, when Native Americans pass their oral history without documentation (we didn't have a written language until the Cherokee invented one and they didn't share) it is ALWAYS considered unreliable.

Although Betsy Ross kept detailed records, no invoice or document was found linking to this transaction
There is no evidence to show that Betsy Ross and George Washington knew each other, or that George Washington was ever in her shop
In letters and diaries that have surfaced, neither George Washington, Col. Ross, Robert Morris nor any other member of Congress mentioned anything about a national flag in 1776
The Flag Resolution of 1777 was the first documented meeting, discussion or debate by Congress about a national flag

So the documentation that would normally accompany such an event is conspicuously absent.

it is a tale. one that can not be proven or disproven actually.
there is not enough true historical written data on this event or the actual making of the first flag.
I was not taught in school she made it. I was told that it was a 'tale' embraced by the nation for patriotic reasons and some accept or not accept this historical account. I was basically taught that she was part of the tale in making the first flag. Not that she DID DO it for sure. -----what lame school did you attend? Of course schools put on plays with Betsy Ross etc. they are patriotic and fun and feel good for our country and has survived the test of time.

Just like lots of things we have learned in school --- when we were unable to go looking for the truth --- it's just a "feel good story" and nothing more.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youre assuming that i wasnt taught the same thing,tisk tisk,i was taught the same thing.:laughing9:

if you were taught the same thing, that the Betsy was more of a story behind our flag, what is the point of your post?

You said in the original post: The real history that you were never taught in school Part 3 Betsy Ross

Then you said you were taught the real events about the nations flag. As I was.---yet you start your post with: The real history that you were never taught in school Part 3 Betsy Ross

you are mixed up big time. You don't know why you are posting anything. very strange actually. I guess you assume only my school and your school taught the lesson correctly. Everyone else out there doesn't have a clue and believes that Betsy is the true maker of the first flag right?

heavens no sense in all this

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post that animated GIF again I will lock the thread

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed it but if TH came in and said that then I am out. If TH said NO to whatever, then I assume you are going to take this in a bad direction. I don't want that. I made my points. See ya!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, do not mock any moderator here and that also includes me.... The aimated gif you posted was rude..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not surprised.......Gif violated our rules as does mocking moderators...Obey our rules please........

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems you only somewhat skimmed the TRUE story behind Betsey Ross :laughing7:

Actually, she wasn't a seamstress as most were lead to believe and it appears you missed this lesson in school too :laughing7: She was actually a prominent Madame of the time and ran a successful brothel on Market and 3rd St, which was just a hop and skip away from Independence Hall. Why else would she be so popular at that time :icon_scratch:

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that betsy ross was an alias for ben franklin,when he was in drag.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread