One Solution to school shootings

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
WHY would anyone need an assault weapon anyway..If the mother of the shooter had not had one he would have used something lesser and lives would have been saved. As far as the mental health piece he had a personality disorder..very common among alcoholic and addicts ..people are not locked up for this. I work in mental health field and frankly those that are out on the street and most have county services...are for the most part not a threat due to outpatient help and medication.
:icon_scratch: Can you even tell me what your definition is of an 'assault weapon'?

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To put things in perspective, I read where more people die from falling out of their chair, than do in mass shootings per year in the U.S. Mass shootings were defined as 2 or more at a time.

As I understand it, this shooter used two hand guns to do the killing, and later an assault weapon was found where he gained entry. I know how our government works, and it just seemed a little too convenient to the anti-assault weapon agenda. Legislation will be ready in January to ban assault weapons....this had to be in the works, Congress does not work that fast.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
We still have the crux of definition of an 'assault weapon'. If the appearance of something scares you ; then , GOD HELP ME! , ya better not look at some of the people shopping at Wallmart .

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bet that population has ways of dealing with firearm violence .

Yeah basically youre dragged into court,automatically found guilty in 5 minutes or less,dragged down into the basement,made to kneel down then youre shot in the back of the head.Your posts sound as though you would like that.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," per Wayne LaPierre
Don....

Unfortunately with these mass shootings the "good guy" always seems to be in a different state during the event! (A week racking their brains and this is the best the NRA can come up with? Pathetic!)

I recall saying a similar thing the last time one of these mass shootings occured but, of all you concealed carry permit holders out there, how many of you conceal an AR-15? (That's an "assault weapon" TruckinButch, just for your information. ;) )

I wonder what the result would have been had that Chinese knifeman had an assault rifle and 2 handguns instead?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]More on sales

Gun sales up at store in Orwigsburg[/h]ORWIGSBURG - A local gun shop owner said his sales have increased since last week's school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
"If I said it was minimal, I'd be lying" said Josh Shamonsky, owner of Shakey's Gun Shop, 202 E. Market St.
"In all honesty, I probably did more in the past six days (than) what I did in the past three months," he said of his gun sales while standing behind a counter in the shop Friday afternoon.
He said he thought some of that was due to the talk of a possible ban on assault-style weapons.

Of the shooting in Newtown, Shamonsky said it was a tragedy.
"Somebody who does something like that is a monster. They're not a human being," he said.
He doesn't think new laws are the answer.
"If they do more laws, it's only going to be more laws for the criminals to break," he said.
All gun purchases at the store require a background check but the law is slightly different for private sales.
"If you want to sell a rifle or a shotgun you may do that without going through the background check," said Gerald Gerhard, a volunteer at the store.
When selling privately in Pennsylvania, all handguns still need to be transferred through a dealer, who must complete a background check on the new owner. But state law does not require a check for private sales of long guns, like shotguns and rifles, according to a July 29 article in the Scranton Times-Tribune.
"Most people that sell privately know the people or know somebody that knows them and can vouch for them, and that's how it goes,"

Gun sales up at store in Orwigsburg - News - Republican Herald

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, in line with the OP, I would think that if we are going to arm teachers and give them training, we should also arm the cafeteria staff, the janitors, the bus drivers and the crossing guards. Then we can raise taxes to pay for the training, the firearms and the insurance that will be needed in case someone accidentally shoots someone while teaching, cooking, sweeping,driving and holding up stop signs at intersections.

Can I have the first volunteer???????

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, in line with the OP, I would think that if we are going to arm teachers and give them training, we should also arm the cafeteria staff, the janitors, the bus drivers and the crossing guards. Then we can raise taxes to pay for the training, the firearms and the insurance that will be needed in case someone accidentally shoots someone while teaching, cooking, sweeping,driving and holding up stop signs at intersections.

Can I have the first volunteer???????

I still think they should arm everyone before they enter air planes also.
that way if someone gets suspicious of another passenger,
they can smoke em before the plane takes off :thumbsup:

(I said with plenty of sarcasm intended)

Last edited:

redtailvision

Nov 3, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
a lot of interesting views. Here is mine. No one "needs" an assault weapon. But don't they have the right to own them for their collection? I think so. I have two brothers who collect guns and they both have some because they enjoy having them and shooting them at the range. I prefer bows. And I can tell you in the hands of a criminal a compound crossbow could be very deadly. Should they be banned also? Banning any weapon will only ban them from those who follow the law. 7 of my family members have cc and carry wherever they are allowed. These shootings seem to happen at "soft" targets such as malls, theaters and schools because the perp's know guns are not allowed. If those with cc were allowed to carry in those locations I don't think the shooters would have gotten very far and it just might deter them from those places knowing as soon as they pull the trigger, they will have a bullet coming at them.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we banned everything we didn't need, we wouldn't have much left.

I've often wondered why new vehicles that can double the maximum legal speed limit are legal. They could easily be governed to legal speed, but they aren't, how many innocent people are killed by speeders?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we banned everything we didn't need, we wouldn't have much left.

I've often wondered why new vehicles that can double the maximum legal speed limit are legal. They could easily be legal speed, but they aren't, how many innocent people are killed by speeders?

there is a reason for this.

a car governed to legal speed of 55 MPH on a California highway, or
desert road to even 75MPH

I Believe would never make it to the top of a Mountain in Colorodo.
& if it would you would have to start a day early :laughing7:

so cars would need to be governed by location they were going to be used,
& everyone who travels would either need several cars stationed nationwide or
get exempted from following the law.

of course a vehicle that goes 140 MPH doesn't quite sound necessary though

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone yet mentioned or even considered banning violent training videos? You know the kind; kids grow up being trained on violent video games. They see killing (taking a human life) as a sport, entertainment that has no consequences, only the reward of gaining a "high score". I'm far from an expert on the educational process of young children but I did read an article that claimed that by age five, the child has established a permanent attitude for his/her future learning process. Do little five year olds get exposure to violent oriented video games? I think ... yes. We live in a society that encourages violence.

I'm waiting to see what the recently appointed "gun control" committee (headed by VP Biden) will come up with that will solve anything.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone yet mentioned or even considered banning violent training videos? You know the kind; kids grow up being trained on violent video games. They see killing (taking a human life) as a sport, entertainment that has no consequences, only the reward of gaining a "high score". I'm far from an expert on the educational process of young children but I did read an article that claimed that by age five, the child has established a permanent attitude for his/her future learning process. Do little five year olds get exposure to violent oriented video games? I think ... yes. We live in a society that encourages violence.

I'm waiting to see what the recently appointed "gun control" committee (headed by VP Biden) will come up with that will solve anything.

Not me. I would have a hard time supporting a nationwide Ban on anything. even things I hate, except maybe I could support a ban on bans. but
even local bans bother me. I guess because I grew up being taught in school this was a free country & police states are wrong?

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me. I would have a hard time supporting a nationwide Ban on anything.
even local bans bother me. I guess because I grew up being taught in school this was a free country ?

Me too, except assault weapons....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
but will you insure them for free too?

Sorry i would just train them,insurance is the trainees responsibility,or would you want me to pay for their firearms too.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats your definition of an assault weapon.A butter knife can be an assault weapon

I think rather than getting into that kind of discussion I would just like to say that I am a very self sufficient woman who lives off the grid and that our views on people's rights are probably very close....I respect your views without a need to change them and I hope it will be mutual :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions