davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry i would just train them,insurance is the trainees responsibility,or would you want me to pay for their firearms too.

let me make sure I understand your position. You want to force people to carry firearms during the course of their profession although they are not law enforcement, you want to force them to obtain training and maintain proficiency in the use of those firearms and you want to force them to obtain liability insurance in order to obtain employment according to your terms.

Why does that seem so counter to your Ben quote?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you need Insurance ? just list lawyers as Moving target practice :laughing7:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, in line with the OP, I would think that if we are going to arm teachers and give them training, we should also arm the cafeteria staff, the janitors, the bus drivers and the crossing guards. Then we can raise taxes to pay for the training, the firearms and the insurance that will be needed in case someone accidentally shoots someone while teaching, cooking, sweeping,driving and holding up stop signs at intersections.

Can I have the first volunteer???????

Dave do you feel safe walking into a police station? I think it would be simple to just have your news outlet saying schools are armed (could be one or several). Or just park a police car (Even empty outside a school building.

XDSA40

Oct 27, 2012
IN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stryker-one, I do support the idea of armed guards in pre-school thru grade 12, with some caveats: The guards should be plain clothed, the weapon should be concealed preferably with a semi-auto pistol, obviously the guard must be thoroughly trained, and participation must be voluntary and approved by the school board/local government.

The source of the guards could, and likely would, come from a variety of resources: active and retired LEO's, retired military, national guardsmen, first responders,etc. The cost of this protection would not be nearly as expensive as has been estimated by the media. In my small communtiy (~15,000) with 10 or 12 schools, I would expect not less 100 qualified individuals willing to volunteer 1 day per week of their time as an armed school guard. No doubt, there would also be many teachers who are or could be qualified and willing to participate. There are many more citizens available that would be willing and could be trained with little effort and cost.

Many successful scenarios are possible for the school guard idea that could be initially implemented quickly and affordably. Hopefully, our leaders will give careful, unbiased, and thoughtful consideration before arriving at a decision.

My alias obviosly indicates my advocacy of the 2nd. Just my 2 zincolns.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
et me make sure I understand your position. You want to force people to carry firearms during the course of their profession although they are not law enforcement, you want to force them to obtain training and maintain proficiency in the use of those firearms and you want to force them to obtain liability insurance in order to obtain employment according to your terms.

Why does that seem so counter to your Ben quote?

Show me my post where im saying that im forcing anybody to do anything.:laughing9:Such a post doesnt exist.The only post that has anybody forcing anybody comes from you.You must be closet antigun davest,bring it out in the open you'll feel better.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Not me. I would have a hard time supporting a nationwide Ban on anything. even things I hate, except maybe I could support a ban on bans. but
even local bans bother me. I guess because I grew up being taught in school this was a free country & police states are wrong?

Yeah i like this thinking.No ban on nothing.You screw up it's your problem then,no one else's.Have you guys talked about what the NRA has proposed yet.I have not read all you guys post,just skimming around.But they proposed for a armed cop or guard at every school.This sounds logical instead of banning guns.Even though i can't have a gun i think people should be able to buy the type of gun they want.Even a machine gun.If you are not going out using it wrong,i feel like you guys should be able to own one right.My brother in law buys those military type guns because he stayed in the military for eight years and just loves these guns,big deal,who cares i don't.I just want my pot legalized and i will be happy.All type guns and all types of pot is perfectly legal.That sounds good to me.You guys fight for guns and i will fight for the pot,cool. :-D

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, the OP begins with the premise that since his/her kids are in school whatever time a day, it is the responsibility of the teacher to be armed in order to protect said kids. There was no room left for opting out, does that meet the definition of being "forced" to do something?

why the attack mode so soon? You don't even know me.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Red, the OP begins with the premise that since his/her kids are in school whatever time a day, it is the responsibility of the teacher to be armed in order to protect said kids. There was no room left for opting out, does that meet the definition of being "forced" to do something?

why the attack mode so soon? You don't even know me.
Reread the thread . All proposals have carried the caveats of 'voluntary' and 'qualified'. I didn't read anything into this about forcing anyone into a role they didn't wish to play .
>I would gladly devote a couple days of my week for free to help protect schools in my area . And I am already trained and qualified . I could probably find a minimum of 500 similar people in my county who would be willing to donate time .

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Davest,you have attacked me in the past,I dont forget even if you have.By the way your posts seem antigun so i was stating facts not attacking you.Plus you were basically putting words in my mouth.Yes i do believe it is the responsibility for schools to protect the children that attend them.Have you ever babysat somebody elses child?Who is responsible for that child?So why should schools be any different.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Armed guards/teachers would be a HUGE help in stopping gun violence. As it stands right now school=lots of unarmed, unprotected sitting ducks. Gunman= lots of casualties. That simple, not a hard concept at all. Kind of like a courthouse. many people are armed including the court reporter. I wonder why? Hmm:dontknow::icon_scratch:??? Oh wait, it is because it means start flipping out in here, you will die. Proof is in the pudding!:thumbsup:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not anti gun,just anti stupid. For some strange reason I thought maybe the U.S. of A. could step a bit ahead instead of regressing. If we've come to the point where the majority of the citizens of this country think it's a good thing to have open carry, shoot first ask questions later, carry large weapons and vast amount of ammunition out of fear, we've lost it. We're no better than Somalia or Bosnia in the 90s.

It's your big chance to get in front of a microphone & television cameras instead of a computer and get the word out that you are willing to volunteer your time to guard a school. It's your chance, go for it and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

btw, if you think I somehow attacked you on this site, I apologize but I think you're wrong.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really want to put guns in non proffesionals hands ?

Remember these, these are supposed to be pros

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns have been here since the country was founded. It's only the last dozen years or so that these mass shooting events have taken place. There are many contributing factors to this "phenomenon". A Society that has taken away corporal punishment, the overzealous media, the parents, violent video games, combined with mental illness are all parts of the problem. Gun laws play no part in any of it (except maybe the gun-free zone laws). There is no one solution to this "problem". No easy fix. This is the end result of a society that is losing it's direction and backbone.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns have been here since the country was founded. It's only the last dozen years or so that these mass shooting events have taken place. There are many contributing factors to this "phenomenon". A Society that has taken away corporal punishment, the overzealous media, the parents, violent video games, combined with mental illness are all parts of the problem. Gun laws play no part in any of it (except maybe the gun-free zone laws). There is no one solution to this "problem". No easy fix. This is the end result of a society that is losing it's direction and backbone.

Well said!!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't really say the last dozen years, remember the Texas Bell Tower shootings in 1966...Charles Whitman killed 14 people from the Univ of Texas school bell tower using Remington 6mm rifle and scope, he also had a half dozen other weapons with him........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disagree on the corporal punishment bit,

most of these guys take themselves out Dispensing corporal punishment on themselves.

It's the easy way out.

say what you want they are Not afraid to die.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't really say the last dozen years, remember the Texas Bell Tower shootings in 1966...Charles Whitman killed 14 people from the Univ of Texas school bell tower using Remington 6mm rifle and scope, he also had a half dozen other weapons with him.

TH i dont think Whitman should be included in this.Whitman had a brain tumor ,that alone could mess up rational thinking.

An autopsy conducted upon the body of Charles Whitman—approved by his father—was performed at the Cook Funeral Home on August 2. The autopsy discovered a glioblastoma (a highly aggressive and invariably fatal brain tumor) in the hypothalamus (the white matter located above the brain stem).[69] This tumor would have proven fatal by the end of the year in which Whitman died.

Although Whitman had been prescribed drugs, and had Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) in his possession at his death, the autopsy was unable to establish if he had consumed any drugs prior to the shooting. Whitman's bodily fluids had been removed and his body embalmed prior to the autopsy; therefore, no urine was available to test for traces of amphetamine having been consumed

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie had sought the help of a psy doctor the months prior to the killings and had talked about having a fantasy of killing people from the tower during his one of his appointments, When Charlie's body was autopsied doctors did discovered a small tumor in his brain, some of his friends and family have said it caused his actions, but experts concur that that was doubtful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions