jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't make me laugh! Brings back memories of when I was a kid.

The "Bourbon Street Preacher" (as he's now known) was holding a revival at a church in Sumrall, Mississippi. Told the people that the reason they were having a drouth was because they were bad folks and weren't paying their preachers enough.

He was run out of town on a rail, much like the scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" and my dad said they tarred and feathered him when they reached the outskirts of town. I just remember there was a bunch of screaming coming from the guy on the rail and most of the grownups were laughing at him.

Remind me to stay away from your hometown. Yikes!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben that is what they use to do 50 years ago back. You also got hung for stealing a horse or mule then as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel what does that have to with what we are talking about? 50 years ago and further back laws were different.

Personally I would like for them to bring back public executions and chain gangs,get rid of tvTV and radio in prisons.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel what does that have to with what we are talking about? 50 years ago and further back laws were different.

Personally I would like for them to bring back public executions and chain gangs,get rid of tvTV and radio in prisons.

Let your State Dept. of Corrections know that...
YEP! Laws WERE different back then... LIFE was different back then...

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been misinterpreted by someone here as giving the States the right to make laws that are in opposition to the Bill of Rights and Constitution.

It does not.

Read carefully.

If a right is guaranteed to the people by the Constitution or Bill of Rights, a State cannot take away that right.

The Second Amendment cannot be nullified by by a lesser body of law.

I wonder if they will treat the treason like the Brits would? Maybe have their entrails dragged through the streets and burned?

When a State passes a law that seems contradictory to the Constitution doesn't mean it is. That's because the Constitution is open for interpretation. Some laws aren't as open to this process as others.
You mentioned the 2nd. States and the Fed have many laws limiting the 2nd. Like possessing a nuke, a SAM, or a land mine.The 2nd amendment is still very open for interpretation. I think it was too loosely worded as it confuses civilians and a militia as one in the same. The last thing when I think of a civilian is "Well Regulated". Again open to the Courts interpretation.
If the Court decides, like most other countries, that citizen protection is more important than an individuals perceived rights, the guns will be gone.
BTW, I have always been a gun owner and only trying to look at what might be down the road. I wouldn't want to prospect where I live(New Mexico) w/o my pistol. Those that want to own weapons like assault rifles and other military arms might think about keeping their rhetoric down a little because when it becomes talk of revolution and sedition your seriously outnumbered.
The Constitution, like the Bible and women's minds will always be reinterpreted.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When a State passes a law that seems contradictory to the Constitution doesn't mean it is. That's because the Constitution is open for interpretation. Some laws aren't as open to this process as others.
You mentioned the 2nd. States and the Fed have many laws limiting the 2nd. Like possessing a nuke, a SAM, or a land mine.The 2nd amendment is still very open for interpretation. I think it was too loosely worded as it confuses civilians and a militia as one in the same. The last thing when I think of a civilian is "Well Regulated". Again open to the Courts interpretation.
If the Court decides, like most other countries, that citizen protection is more important than an individuals perceived rights, the guns will be gone.
BTW, I have always been a gun owner and only trying to look at what might be down the road. I wouldn't want to prospect where I live(New Mexico) w/o my pistol. Those that want to own weapons like assault rifles and other military arms might think about keeping their rhetoric down a little because when it becomes talk of revolution and sedition your seriously outnumbered.
The Constitution, like the Bible and women's minds will always be reinterpreted.

If pro gun people keep the rhetoric down the louder anti gun crowd will prevail....the squeaky wheel gets greased you know!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

1. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION PLEASE!

2. Here is the Amendment for your reading pleasure . . .

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What could this mean? "A well regulated Militia" would mean persons trained in the art of war. This includes learning the proper operation of a firearm. Why, then, would this include "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms"?

Well, as most here can tell you (including myself) the military is usually NOT the first place to learn the proper operation of a firearm. That is something you should be familiar with BEFORE entering the military. If attacked, and no one knows the proper care and feeding of a rifle or pistol . . . or even which is the business end . . . you lose lots of Militia BEFORE THE FIGHTING STARTS. The training also takes longer . . . and the results would be less than favorable in most cases.

The best prepared men and women entering the Military are those who have a head start in using firearms. Thus, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" would require that men and women have a knowledge of firearms. They would know how to shoot before joining or being conscripted.

As that is a necessity, even in peace time, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms" should not be infringed.

Add to that the fact that sometimes governments overstep their constitutionally given rights. That is why Thomas Jefferson said: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Of course, all that truth is difficult for some to grasp. To those who find it difficult you have my sympathies. To those with no dog in this fight, remember that you have no say so in the laws of this country. If you are jealous, then come join us.

Ken Hamblin (The Black Avenger) wrote a book called "Pick A Better Country". If you're not happy with the laws, by all means do so.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supreme Court ruled on June 28 2010, in a challenge to Chicago's gun-control law, that Americans in all 50 states have a constitutional right to possess firearms for self-defense.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Supreme Court ruled on June 28 2010, in a challenge to Chicago's gun-control law, that Americans in all 50 states have a constitutional right to possess firearms for self-defense.

I believe that's the one that null and voided the D.C. gun ban.

reddirtwillie

Jan 4, 2013
Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Whites Eagle II SL - Wilson/lesche/garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being originally from Chicago whenever someone asks - I tell them I'm from St.Louis

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If pro gun people keep the rhetoric down the louder anti gun crowd will prevail....the squeaky wheel gets greased you know!

Not today :laughing7:

That squeaky wheel gets replaced, or tossed away, melted down, etc. No need for oil :tongue3:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not today :laughing7:

That squeaky wheel gets replaced, or tossed away, melted down, etc. No need for oil :tongue3:

Maybe even just reemed way out to loosen the tolerences.....kind of like what some are doing to the constitution!

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was originally from Chicago too. When deployed to England with my bomber squadron an English girl might ask "Where do you come form" In saying Chicago I'd often hear "Ooo Al Capone, Bang Bang." The myth goes on.
Those that authored our Constitution were traveling on virgin ground. Revolutionaries by nature. Our government and our people, today, are not. For the most part both are ok with how things are. Mao Tse Tung (sp) taught there can be no revolution w/o the support of the masses. When there was some dust kicked up here in the 60's, I remember workers saying "God bless the establishment" I knew no revolution was possible.
The revolutionaries that began this experiment (which is what it was) are gone. Replaced by lesser men. The establishment will take any means necessary to maintain the system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread