Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was over at a friends house on saturday and him and his son both got metal detectors for christmas and he starts to tell me all of the junk he has found and that his son and himself have only found 15 cents between them since the new year.So I tell him that as of saturday I've found $1.25 in change ABOVE the ground.Well he shakes his head and asks me where? & how?
I decide to tell him about the reject slot on Coinstar machines and on all coin operated mahines,such as newspaper racks and soda machines,also drive thru's at restarunts and drive thru's at pharmacy's and of course parkinglots,and the newest one is stores that have Self checkouts,check the coinslots where the coins pop back out,the ones at my store has 2 different coinslots and I tend to find the most coins at the one that's right next to the dollar insert. He called me today,and told me that he's already found 65 cents:hello2:.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably have over $100 in coins I have found on the top of the ground over the years. Look down.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Carefull of the coin returns like in a payphones, sickos like to put things in there like used needles just waiting to prick you when you check......no joke.

A while back I found $40.00 in the cash return at a Lowes self check out. I returned to the Service desk. hopefully the owner got it back.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Produce Guy

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true you do have to look closely at reject/coinslots on some machines,such as outside phone booths,I have seen chewed gum in many of them:(

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Also in large parking lots like Walmart and Lowes cash seems to blow/drift to the outside edges and stop at the curbing.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's true you do have to look closely at reject/coinslots on some machines,such as outside phone booths,I have seen chewed gum in many of them:(

Telephone booths :icon_scratch: They still have public phones where you live :dontknow: Between NY/NJ I guess there may be 10 of them in total :laughing7: Heck, I think it would be more challenging to find a phone booth than money :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A long time ago I worked for a co. called National Cash Register Co. We would get used machines back to rebuild and we would find $1s,$5s, $10s & $20 soaked in oil below the cash drawer. We kept a special can of solvent there to remove the oil. Maybe we were laundering money. lol Frank

Misc.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A long time ago I worked for a co. called National Cash Register Co. We would get used machines back to rebuild and we would find $1s,$5s, $10s & $20 soaked in oil below the cash drawer. We kept a special can of solvent there to remove the oil. Maybe we were laundering money. lol Frank

View attachment 722477
Careful, don't let the feds hear about this!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, since it has been well over 20 years, I don't worry about it. Frank

Misc.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have found cash in a used dryer I had years ago I think it was about $60.00 or so. found it in the duct when I replaced the motor, wasn't mine so must have come from previous owner8-) So I am right with you Frank, it could be said I launder money as well :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Very good point. Makes total sense.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
jersey ben, I will admit that I have found gum in a coin return on a phone. That was an old trick. People would plug it with gum and then come back later and get the return change. I have also seen paper used for the same purpose. As for your needles, read my thread on I got it figured out and that will explain it. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg By the way, did you notice you gave an internet address and the line below it states that internet quotes are often inaccurate?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread