Cost of Antidepressants
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Cost of Antidepressants

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member

Cost of Antidepressants

There has been some discussion on the monetary cost of antidepressants. In general, cost varies on individual insurances. However, here is some information on antidepressants in general terms.

MAOIs (Monamine Oxidase Inhibitors): These are largely not used anymore because of the dietary restrictions. Foods that are high in tyramine can cause a hypertensive crisis. Fava beans, red wine, and aged cheeses are a few that must be avoided. EnSam is a transdermal patch. At the 6mg dose dietary restrictions are not mandated; however, it is not proven to be clinically effective until the 9mg dose. Selegiline is the generic name. It is frequently used to treat Parkinson's.

TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants): These are older medicines as well. They have side effects of weight gain, sedation, and arrthymias. They are lethal in overdose. In general, these are not prescribed much. Common generic names are imipramine, amitripyline, clompiramine, nortriptyline, and desipramine. They are relatively inex*****ve; however, there usage carries significant risk.

SSRIs (selective serotonin reputake inhibitors): These are the mainstay and safest treatment. The most common side effect is anorgasmia. In general, they are very safe. celexa - citalopram, prozac - fluoxetine, and paxil - paroxetine are four dollars a month or ten dollars for three months at Target or Wal-Mart. Paxil has higher side effects then the others and is probably not the best choice for a first line agent.
    -zoloft (sertraline,) lexapo (escitalopram,) and luvox (fluovamine) are all generic. They should be relatively inexpensive. Lexapro is the most recent to go generic so probably the most expensive. Luvox is dosed twice a day and can be sedating, there is a CR (continual release) form available but that will be more expensive.

SNRIs (Selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors): These are the newest subclass. The name is a misnomer because they also work at serotonin. Effexor (venlafaxine,) cymbalta (duloxetine,) and pristiq (desvenlafaxine) are currently FDA approved. Effexor is generic and should be inexpensive. Cymbalta and pristiq are brand name only and will be very expensive. Cymbalta is FDA approved for peripheral neuropathy and very helpful for that. In general, the cost of cymbalta and pristiq may not outweigh the benefits. Savella is also an SNRI but does not have FDA approval for depression.

Wellbutrin (buproprion): This is a unique antidepressant that works at norepinephrine and dopamine. It is the only antidepressant that does not have the potential to cause sexual side effects. It can be used to reverse sexual side effects from other antidepressants. It is generic and inexpensive.

Remeron (Mirtazepine): This is an older antidepressant with known side effects of weight gain and sedation. It can also interact with cardiac medications. It is very inexpensive but probably not the best first line agent.

Trazodone: This is the generic name and what it is well known as. At higher doses it is extremely sedating and rarely used as an antidepressant. At lower doses it is an extremely effective medicine for insomnia. It is non-addictive! This is also on the target and Wal-Mart four dollar list.

Okay, there is Crispin's crash course on antidepressants and their costs. There are others out there, of course, but this is the basics.

Crispin

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    19996 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    I have ONE question,why do people need this crap to begin with,they weren't born that way. GodBless Chris
    EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

​The Key...http://antidoteforall.com/

When we come into the world we take on the identity of those who are more powerful than us.

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8359 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I couldn't get through the entire post... too depressing.

I'd rather go outside and play with my metal detector. So why the medical lesson? It relates somehow to the hobby by....?
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I couldn't get through the entire post... too depressing.

I'd rather go outside and play with my metal detector. So why the medical lesson? It relates somehow to the hobby by....?
    Gold Maven brought it up in a previous thread. I responded to it there but it got deleted for being off topic. So, I started a new thread. Also, this is the everything else section; be definition, that means not related to metal detecting.

us
    Jun 2012
    Central Florida
    2851 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker View Post
    I have ONE question,why do people need this crap to begin with,they weren't born that way. GodBless Chris
    WorldTalker: Thank you for providing us with a spectacular example of the stigma against depression and psychiatry. It is comments like this that prevent people from getting the help they need. You are only hurting the ones you love. Depression is a GENETIC disease. In fact, people ARE born with it. I just figured out why you picked the name WorldTalker...it is because you never know what in the world you are talking about.

Let me add an element to the thread to help you out: The UN is coming for our guns!

us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    The Mangrove Coast
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8359 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The UN is coming for our guns!
    ...and next, a thread on paranoia.

Would love to chat, but heading outside to go metal detecting. Will post in the Beach and Shallow Water section later this afternoon.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    19996 times
    WorldTalker: Thank you for providing us with a spectacular example of the stigma against depression and psychiatry. It is comments like this that prevent people from getting the help they need. You are only hurting the ones you love. Depression is a GENETIC disease. In fact, people ARE born with it. I just figured out why you picked the name WorldTalker...it is because you never know what in the world you are talking about.

Let me add an element to the thread to help you out: The UN is coming for our guns!
    Got a "pill" for it??
    pong12211 and B1u3Dr4g0n1 like this.

When we come into the world we take on the identity of those who are more powerful than us.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    19996 times
    [QUOTE=Crispin;3146744] Depression is a GENETIC disease. In fact, people ARE born with it.

Who said so,and,how many people have been cured by meds.??

us
    Adventure1

Jan 2013
    North central Pa.
    Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
    949 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    They should make a pill to cure stupidity and raise peoples common sense level.. Now that would be impressive.
    B1u3Dr4g0n1 likes this.
    God made man.. Sam Colt made them equal

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    19996 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pong12211 View Post
    They should make a pill to cure stupidity and raise peoples common sense level.. Now that would be impressive.
    Guess 'public school' has something to do with it,we are born with common sense,but,people can be,and,are taught out of it!

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2959 times
    See the old days & theory thread. Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profile.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	735228

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    19996 times
    [QUOTE=Crispin;3146744]WorldTalker: . I just figured out why you picked the name WorldTalker...it is because you never know what in the world you are talking about.

Actually, I talk on my radio to people around the world! You don't figure to well.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7954 times
    The Truth
    I know a place where those kind of pills should be passed out like candy,actually two places
    onfire and B1u3Dr4g0n1 like this.

Jun 2007
    13728 times

LOL!

Jun 2007
    13728 times
    I think SAD is of interest... SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links