dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Might be best for you to take it into a Ford dealer, maybe Kelly Ford? If I were you I would stay out of the small shops. There's lots of good ones but there's even more bad small shops. A ford dealer is your best bet.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Fuel pressure..if a pump increased pressure would alter sensors perceptions perhaps. A stock pump put on a stock system would contribute to the price of a/this hit or miss shade tree mechanic fee's.:laughing7::skullflag:
Seems odd a higher pressure pump would have been added.
The guy replacing it may have been offered two choices in price and features but higher pressure pump , not going to do anything good to stock set up.

On a truck I put lots of miles on I had sensors for multiple systems turning on/up on diagnostics when service engine lite was on.
I changed the O2 sensor ,a mechanic worked on the throttle body , ect. and so on .
Truck would run one way on the normal fifty mile trip good then poorly on the return trip ,or vice versa.
No rhyme to it.
A shop had replaced the first fuel pump and throughout hundreds of thousands of miles I changed two more out.
When putting the last one in ,(and after buying another daily driver after a decade plus) I reached up above the tank after the install and noticed a kink in the hose.
Dang thing ran like a race car afterwards and no more mysterious codes came up in diagnostics.
Drove that thing for many years with intermittent issues due to that stupid extended hose kink varying with temperature.:BangHead:

If you ever do drop the tank, (pull battery negative cable first , , and know fumes are looking to be ignited by any means possible) inspect it for pinholes on top from corrosion ect. especially near the straps and around the fuel pump housing's top where stuff can collect.
They will affect fuel pressure.
Any small holes can be safely (!) hand sanded clean and J.B. weld or similar used to fill them.
Full filter should be replaced if tank is dirty.... the pump pick up sock lookin thing can get plugged too.
Keep tank above a quarter full at least.
A magnet stuck on a metal tank outside on it's bottom can hold some metal junk.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having a few high mileage trucks with "sensors" and such...I'am currently looking to go old school. Something I can easily work on.
An acquaintance of mine has a small shop, he is a great mechanic. He can do diagnostics, has the equipment...but like me actually prefers older cars/trucks. A few years ago I had an S-10 with a 350, bought the kit did it right. A friend of mine that sells/trades in his vehicles when they reach 50,000....wanted to drive it. He couldn't start it as it was carbureted. His kids have never been in a vehicle that doesn't have power windows anti-lock brakes etc.
And they can't drive a manual! :BangHead:The new technology is great safer, better mileage....until it breaks.

I can't wait! First thing I will do is install an Edelbrock carb, aluminum intake and heads, MSD ignition Gear drive (quiet) headers (ceramic coated)
Now who has a... oh..70's truck layin' around?:laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
After having a few high mileage trucks with "sensors" and such...I'am currently looking to go old school. Something I can easily work on.
An acquaintance of mine has a small shop, he is a great mechanic. He can do diagnostics, has the equipment...but like me actually prefers older cars/trucks. A few years ago I had an S-10 with a 350, bought the kit did it right. A friend of mine that sells/trades in his vehicles when they reach 50,000....wanted to drive it. He couldn't start it as it was carbureted. His kids have never been in a vehicle that doesn't have power windows anti-lock brakes etc.
And they can't drive a manual! :BangHead:The new technology is great safer, better mileage....until it breaks.

I can't wait! First thing I will do is install an Edelbrock carb, aluminum intake and heads, MSD ignition Gear drive (quiet) headers (ceramic coated)
Now who has a... oh..70's truck layin' around?:laughing7:

This is why I love my old 12 valve Dodge. Only needs one wire to run and that can be bypassed if need be. How else could I drive a 1 ton 4x4 and consistently pull off 21mpg?
I have always liked the late '80s s10 4x4s with a 350 in it. I may build one someday. I also really want to build a first generation Durango with a 4bt Cummins and a straight axle swap, rolling on at least 35" tires...
Similar to this...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'am looking at an older Grand Cherokee. Off road is my fav.
I realize the 12V Cummins are great...The rattling gets me. I like the sound of a V-8 through flowmasters.
But I would own a Cummins, sure.

I had a 1970 Ford F-250 Highboy. 360 engine sucked. So we took a 390 block, 428 crank, and had a 410 stroker!! Perfect for that truck. A friend of mine has a late 70's Chevy step side....he wants to make a 383 stroker

Years ago I knew a guy with a K-5 blazer with one ton axles.14 bolt's I think. That thing was unbreakable.
454, I remember that. It must have been 69-73 because the entire top was removable. I at the same time...'85? had a 1970 jeep pick-up. Back then we could "ford" the Chetco river 15 miles of cross...cross again 4 byin. The jeep had a homemade (in the school shop class) snorkle. My then girlfriend had assess to the shop. 40 inch tires ? If I remember right. We used boat trailer wheel bearing grease, being in the water so much.
I once owned a Toyota ...I broke it on day 3.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm with ya. I love the sound of the good old American v8! There ain't nothing like it! I am always in love with the 6bt Cummins though. Nothing like the low end grunt and the sound of the turbo! Lol. I had a 1976 f150 4x4 years ago I rescued from heading to the junk yard. It came with no motor so I installed a $35.00 300-6 and drove it for a year and then traded the six for a 360 fe motor. Installed that, 4" lift, fixed the body and painted it and drove it from maine to California. Sold it in California as the fuel consumption was just ridiculous.
A buddy from high school still has his 1978 f150 we built converting it from two wheel drive to 4x4 adding a Detroit locker as well. It's a four speed stick like mine was and only has 60,000 on the 302. He's had it stored for about 15 years inside...he's been trying to get me to take it off his hands for a couple years now. It could end up being a conversation with a 6bt.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here's a picture of my truck thermometer this morning, this is why I bought a house in Florida and will be moving...
44f1a7a2391a818ac8ef6f8cbbfbe04b.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
RC thanks for all that great info buddy

I'm a poor mechanic but have had to learn some..
A sensor triggering a check light is only reporting a symptom.
It may not be reporting the actual cause.

Girlfriends brake warning light(?) was on .
She took it in to be serviced and it was low air pressure in a tire. (Blush.)

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 13 y/o has played baseball a couple years and this year too with a coach who owns a garage. He did me well as a friend enemy he fixed my last trucks 5 year inop a/c. I might take this one back to his garage. He's a good guy. Good rep locally.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 1974 or 1975 K-5 Chevy Blazer. I lived in it my senior year in high school. I was homeless. Worked in a body shop for $25.00 a week. ( gas money basically)Took showers at school and did laundry at school. Hunted with a .22 rifle for food or fished....had a featherbed and a kerosene lantern to do my homework. The janitor gave me a key and I helped him after school........I graduated with honors May 31 1980......17 years old......4 June I was on a bus for Ft Benning Ga, US Army Basic Training.....,, never looked back. I just don't see that drive in kids anymore.......when we were qualifying for M16 I was one of the last 12 shooters out of about 120. All the rank started gathering behind me watching me. My Captain said " good god son you never missed, where did you learn to shoot like that?" I said " Sir there's a difference between shooting paper and going hungry"

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 30 years service I NEVER qualified less than expert, even when the courses changed :)

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS Man there was a lot of loving in my truck. I removed the back seat!!!!!:) :::----banghead!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
PS Man there was a lot of loving in my truck. I removed the back seat!!!!!:) :::----banghead!

Lol! Was it the stains or the wrappers that gave it away?

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrapper trail......yeah one more thing and I'll be quiet. A sleeping bag and it gets cold in them damn mountains alone in Virginia in a truck from September to May...... Better than the beatings though!!!! I wasn't bleeding anymore and I had fresh mountain water right outside my campsite!!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrapper trail......yeah one more thing and I'll be quiet. A sleeping bag and it gets cold in them damn mountains alone in Virginia in a truck from September to May...... Better than the beatings though!!!! I wasn't bleeding anymore and I had fresh mountain water right outside my campsite!!!!!

Hmmm , cold , wet , and who was Sandy?

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha you knew her too? Oh yeah for the most part I was 16, but I graduated high school and enlisted in the Army at 17...... Pretty damn head strong huh? RC That's too damn funny!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread