Internet forum refugee

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently quit going to an internet forum I've been on for 12 years and had over 16k posts.

The people on it had changed and every thread it seemed devolved into personal attacks. It was a firearms site with a huge number of posters; typically a couple thousand people on there most of the time.

Dozens of forums and sub-forums with subjects on everything from religion to specific models of firearms.

When I first joined the site, most people were polite and very knowledgeable. You could mention you were a Christian in a thread and not get flamed for it. If someone became rude, they were quickly called out by moderators and banned if the behavior was repeated.

Now, the most vicious personal attacks go unnoticed, especially against Christians. A lot of the nice folks I admired have quietly disappeared lately, as have I.

I've noticed this site seems to heavily discourage insults and rude behavior. I've posted a lot of newbie questions and have been treated with nothing but patience and kindness.

The only thing it is lacking is the amount of traffic; lots of people on here that are browsing the forums for gold sluicing and prospecting, etc. but not a whole lot in the general discussion forum, which this appears to be.

I enjoy engaging in interesting discussions on topics like best movies you've seen lately, or your favorite beer, or the fastest car you've owned, etc. etc.

Would this be the best forum for such off-topic discussions? Why do you think there isn't more traffic here? With such a large group of seemingly polite, knowledgeable people, you would think more like-minded folks would gather and shoot the breeze...

Perhaps the forum is pretty well buried and tough to find for newbies?

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idowa I see your from The Vally, were you familiar with a prospecting shop in a small strip mall just outside of Prescott? If you were to stand in their doorway and look straight out across the road there use to be a great nugget patch there. See if you track down the owners and talk. just a heads up.

Feel free to ask anything here but be careful of your political views Some couldn't take a little ribbing and moved on. Opinions are like the last thing over the fence everyone has one.
If you last 12 years here we'll know you take everything with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've only lived here for 7 years. Born and raised in Idaho, lived in Iowa for few years (hence the name, Idowa) and spent time in the military seeing the world.

There is a decent little shop in PV, A&B Prospecting, which is where I have acquired most of my tools...

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for serving. See if the people who own it now are the original ones. I haven't been there in a couple of years. But have been coming to Arz. since 64 when Lake Havasu was put up for sale. Bought some lots there. right out of high school

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bought some lots there. right out of high school

You are obviously smarter than me! My grandparents gave me a chunk of money when I graduated high school and my dad wanted me to invest it in a small house in town in a historic neighborhood that was going for $20k.

I bought a `65 GTO, some guns, and partied the rest away... Had I kept the goat original and held on to it, it would have been a nice return... That house is now worth around $280k...:BangHead:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
It sounds like the Forum Owner's (and Admin, Mod, etc.) are no longer interested in the Forum idowa!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have many forums including one on 2nd afmend where all post regarding that right and guns go.

Go to the new posts link on left below banner, there are more here posting than you think.

Explore out site.... Welcome to TN.:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there idowa,

I've lost track the number of forums I've been on over the past few years. Every one of them had an ego of it's own, & unfortunately they wear off on the members. Tough chain to break!

I've found treasurenet to be quite welcoming! Hope you enjoy it here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idowa, as I hope you have noticed by now we have many forums including some you mention,
& everything else for whatever we missed.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

If you haven't some how seen them, click on forum above & scroll down :thumbsup:

I Believe the reason we are somewhat more calm here is our
attempt to Not allow religion or politics to ruin conversations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread