New Tick-Borne Illness Could Be Worse Than Lyme Disease

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Each time I go detecting, I'm searching myself for ticks. Time for some sort of repellant...

New Tick-Borne Illness Could Be Worse Than Lyme Disease « CBS New York

Doctors May Not Even Know To Look For Borrelia Miyamotoi Infection

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A new disease spread by deer ticks has already infected 100,000 New Yorkers since the state first started keeping track.

As CBS 2’s Dr. Max Gomez reported, the new deer tick-borne illness resembles Lyme disease, but is a different malady altogether – and it could be even worse.

The common deer tick is capable of spreading dangerous germs into the human bloodstream with its bite. However, Lyme disease is one of many diseases that ticks carry.

The latest disease is related to Lyme, and an infected person will suffer similar symptoms.

“Patients with this illness will develop, perhaps, fever, headache, flu-like symptoms, muscle pains — so they’ll have typical Lyme-like flu symptoms in the spring, summer, early fall,” said Dr. Brian Fallon of Columbia University. “But most of them will not develop the typical rash that you see with Lyme disease.”

Fallon, a renowned expert on Lyme disease at the New York Psychiatric Institute, said the importance of the new bacterium – called Borrelia miyamotoi — is that it might explain cases of what looked like chronic Lyme disease, but did not test positive for Lyme.

“The problem is that the diagnosis is going to be missed, because doctors aren’t going to think about Borrelia miyamotoi because they don’t know about it. And number two, if they test for Lyme disease, it will test negative, and the rash won’t be there,” Fallon said. “So they are not going to treat with the antibiotics, so the patient will have an infection staying in their system longer than it should.

While there is no test yet for the germ, the good news is that it appears the same antibiotic that kills Lyme disease also works – if it is given in the right doses and started early in the infection.

Remember, it takes a tick bite to get Lyme disease or the new bug, and the tick usually has to feed on your blood for at least 24 hours.

If you have been outdoors, have someone else do a full body check, Gomez advised. Ticks are small – only about the size of a sesame seed.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the heads up Deepseeker!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Last Summer, got two deer ticks on me walking in my woods. Nasty little buggers. The bites left scars which are still there. Went to Dr. & got antibiotics just in case.

Last week, I walked 20 feet from my car to my front door. Got two more on me! I've never seen so many.

Must be Global Warming or something.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I suffer from Lyme, bobesia and erlichiosis. I've had it for 9 years now. I was athletic, coached a softball team, hiked,hunted etc. One tick, one bite took me down and out. Few years ago it got so bad I had to have a pacemaker put in because the spirochete crossed over into my brain and messed with signal to my heart. Lyme tears your muscles and joints up, bobesia is a tick version of malaria and erlichiosis is a bacteria that eats the lining of your nerves off. O walked with canes for years and I'm 41 but I prayed asking God to help since all the medication did nothing...tens of thousands worth..i can walk now and metal detecting has strengthened me and keeps me enthusiastic about life. Don't take being bitten lightly,please.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, I suffer from Lyme, bobesia and erlichiosis. I've had it for 9 years now. I was athletic, coached a softball team, hiked,hunted etc. One tick, one bite took me down and out. Few years ago it got so bad I had to have a pacemaker put in because the spirochete crossed over into my brain and messed with signal to my heart. Lyme tears your muscles and joints up, bobesia is a tick version of malaria and erlichiosis is a bacteria that eats the lining of your nerves off. O walked with canes for years and I'm 41 but I prayed asking God to help since all the medication did nothing...tens of thousands worth..i can walk now and metal detecting has strengthened me and keeps me enthusiastic about life. Don't take being bitten lightly,please.

Thanks for keeping the seriousness of this spread around. I am so sorry you have to go through with this. Keep the faith, and keep prayers in your thoughts.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Down south you simply cannot enter a heavily wooded area.I don't care how much duct tape you use.Or how much you cover yourself in repellent.Not to mention the amount of viper's out.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
This is good information and a reminder about the danger of tick bites, especially up North. Thanks for providing it DeepSeeker.

Crispin

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got the two deer ticks on me last year - they were so darned tiny compared to our normal wood ticks - I didn't even know they'd spread to Virginia yet.

I don't know the accuracy, but the doctor told me that down here, Lyme disease is extremely rare.

The deer hunters here told me they'd have kills with hundreds of the deer ticks on them, mostly around the mouth.

If they're in the hills of Virginia now, I'd say they'll spread nationwide.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I know doctors in Virginia. It is still relatively rare for the Lyme disease to have orginiated that far South. However, if hunters are seeing them there then it is only a matter of time until more patients get this. Lyme disease is easy to treat in the early stages and can have devasting and untreatable effects in the later stages. The hallmark of Lyme disease is called a "target lesion" around the bite site. If you have been bitten by a tick or have an explained circular rash that is not as inflammed in the center then I would see one's physician ASAP.

Crispin

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing some myths that ppl still think are true here. The rash, the bull's-eye only show up on 12% of cases. The titer test which is only 4-6 test tubes of blood is 15% accurate,in fact this was brought up to congress just a few years ago when Bush was president and demanded better testing for this because Lyme disease has become a pandemic as in 240k new cases diagnosed yearly compared to 40k new AIDS cases. You want a more accurate test? Get the spinal tap like i did which is 85% accurate at best which insurance doesn't cover and costs $1500. The doctors are ignorant of what the disease actually is or how to treat it properly. How do I know all this? Suffered from this for years,almost killed me, has crippled parts of my body oh and my mother has it and were watching her die from it as it slowly eat away at her and she's bedridden from having it for 20 years,this disease is no joke. Can't wait for obamacare so ppl like me who have no cure for the disease can be written off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread