Amy’s Baking Company makes employees sign 20-item contract

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the new United States of America, with more to come for us all.

Amy?s Baking Company makes employees sign 20-item contract | Fox News

The notorious Amy’s Baking Company is in the news again for -- you guessed it -- doing something terrible.

A legally binding Amy’s Baking Company employee contract has been released by RadarOnline and it is even more appalling than one would expect from the owners who called their employee a "poisonous, little viper" on national television.

The Scottsdale, Ariz. restaurant first came into the media spotlight after a disastrous appearance on Gordon Ramsay‘s Kitchen Nightmares this past spring.

Since then, the restaurant has gone through a series of attempts to recover, but after a very public social media meltdown, the potential deportation of co-owner Samy Bouzaglo and a local reporter writing a scathing review after being kicked out, this latest scandal is another serious setback.

In what is labeled a “mutual agreement” between the employee and Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, the 20-item contract contains rules that govern how the employee may speak, act, dress and spend their holidays. Most disturbing, the agreement also includes many clauses that shift the financial responsibility of the business on to the employee.

“Any products such as food or plates that are broken or burned due to direct negligence will be taken from your pay check at ABC’s [Amy's Baking Company] cost,” one rule states.

Another rule reads, “The waitstaff understands that any and all ‘tips’ are property of the ‘house’. By signing this contract you agree that you willingly accept a payment of $8.00 to $12.00 per hour to ensure that you will receive some type of payment.”

RadarOnline previously reported that Amy’s Baking Company changed their tip policy after receiving backlash following the Kitchen Nightmares broadcast. The leaked contract is not dated, so it could be from before the tip policy was changed.

Another gem of disturbing Amy’s Baking Company logic is this rule:

“Holidays and Weekends are Mandatory, by signing this contract you are accepting that you will be required to work all Holidays, and Weekends. Due to the nature of our Industry this is a necessity and any No-Show will be monetarily penalized with a fee of $250.00.”

This basically means that employees are required to pay $250 (or 31 hours of work) out of pocket for their days off, if that day happens to be a weekend or holiday.

And if you refuse to show up to work and are fired, good luck finding employment elsewhere.

One of the guidelines states that if an employee resigns or is terminated, they are not to work at “any competitor within a 50 mile radius of ABC within one year of termination or voluntary resignation.”

Got a problem with the rules? Too bad.

“Any type of attitude will result in immediate termination.”

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
please clarify for me. is working there voluntary or mandatory? If you don't like the rules, move on. It's still a free country ( conspiracy theorists aside) work where you want.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
please clarify for me. is working there voluntary or mandatory? If you don't like the rules, move on. It's still a free country ( conspiracy theorists aside) work where you want.

They hand me a contract, and it is certainly out the door I go. They soil their skivvies just like I do....

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! LOL! I don't watch tv, but I saw the news story of how bad they were, Ramsey actually waked out on them, I had to watch it online a few weeks ago. LOL! OMG!
I so feel for those poor ppl! You may think I'm talking about the workers, NO! I mean AMY and Samy!
If a worker is stupid enough to sign up and tolerate belittlement and abuse, well, that's their stupidity.

I was SHOCKED and APPALED at Amy and Samy! I wondered what their preacher must have thought of the way they treat ppl! Yes, Samy found him beautiful American Nightmare! so sorry! I feel for him. I really do! LOL! They are a major fail at that "Do unto others......"!

I am so sorry to say, their perceptions are so far off of Khooba, that if that is the way they feel about and treat ppl, then they should expect ppl to treat and feel the same towards them. I don't think I have ever seen a sadder case of self made victims.

Didn't she say, they got children? I thought again OMG! Poor kids! Poor world they get unleashed upon! Again, so sorry!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the new United States of America, with more to come for us all.

Amy?s Baking Company makes employees sign 20-item contract | Fox News

The notorious Amy’s Baking Company is in the news again for -- you guessed it -- doing something terrible.

A legally binding Amy’s Baking Company employee contract has been released by RadarOnline and it is even more appalling than one would expect from the owners who called their employee a "poisonous, little viper" on national television.

The Scottsdale, Ariz. restaurant first came into the media spotlight after a disastrous appearance on Gordon Ramsay‘s Kitchen Nightmares this past spring.

Since then, the restaurant has gone through a series of attempts to recover, but after a very public social media meltdown, the potential deportation of co-owner Samy Bouzaglo and a local reporter writing a scathing review after being kicked out, this latest scandal is another serious setback.

In what is labeled a “mutual agreement” between the employee and Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, the 20-item contract contains rules that govern how the employee may speak, act, dress and spend their holidays. Most disturbing, the agreement also includes many clauses that shift the financial responsibility of the business on to the employee.

“Any products such as food or plates that are broken or burned due to direct negligence will be taken from your pay check at ABC’s [Amy's Baking Company] cost,” one rule states.

Another rule reads, “The waitstaff understands that any and all ‘tips’ are property of the ‘house’. By signing this contract you agree that you willingly accept a payment of $8.00 to $12.00 per hour to ensure that you will receive some type of payment.”

RadarOnline previously reported that Amy’s Baking Company changed their tip policy after receiving backlash following the Kitchen Nightmares broadcast. The leaked contract is not dated, so it could be from before the tip policy was changed.

Another gem of disturbing Amy’s Baking Company logic is this rule:

“Holidays and Weekends are Mandatory, by signing this contract you are accepting that you will be required to work all Holidays, and Weekends. Due to the nature of our Industry this is a necessity and any No-Show will be monetarily penalized with a fee of $250.00.”

This basically means that employees are required to pay $250 (or 31 hours of work) out of pocket for their days off, if that day happens to be a weekend or holiday.

And if you refuse to show up to work and are fired, good luck finding employment elsewhere.

One of the guidelines states that if an employee resigns or is terminated, they are not to work at “any competitor within a 50 mile radius of ABC within one year of termination or voluntary resignation.”

Got a problem with the rules? Too bad.

“Any type of attitude will result in immediate termination.”

DeepSeeker: Great article but please spare us the "Welcome to the new United States of America, with more to come for us all" nonsense...

This article has nothing to do with polotics or the Govt. If you watch the show Kitchen Nightmares you will understand this article perfectly. It is actually very entertaining. It doesnt surprise me in the least. The people that own the restaurant have their own "unique" way of handling business.

I also dont know if the "contract" was reviewed by an attorney but several items in there sound like they could potentially be in conflict with labor laws.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Unique", huh Jbean? Is that a new way of saying *******'s?

I actually so feel for them, their perceptions, thoughts, and actions, are just horrible towards their fellow man.
They both seem to be terribly damaged and in need of much love and healing. (if that were possible).
It seems they are unaware that, criticism is sometimes given to help ppl, not hurt them. Again, sad, very sad.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A bit of insite on the restaurant business. Two of my children are in this business. They have served as waitress, bartender, bouncer and/or manager. It is a tough, cruel business with extremely high turnover rate of staff and managers. I have done repair work at some of the locations in the area and I can tell you it is a cruel cash business. Frank...

7-06  WOODCUTS 015-1.jpg

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit of insite on the restaurant business. Two of my children are in this business. They have served as waitress, bartender, bouncer and/or manager. It is a tough, cruel business with extremely high turnover rate of staff and managers. I have done repair work at some of the locations in the area and I can tell you it is a cruel cash business. Frank...

View attachment 823104

Frank, it is indeed a horrible industry. I made the mistake of obtaining a degree is Hospitality Management. Thankfully, it is still a Business degree so it was not completely worthless. I could not get out of that field fast enough...

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I could only hack waitressing, especially beachfront with tourists, for about 3 weeks. Some ppl can be the worst!
I absolutely loved being kitchen expediter at the Moose Lodge for about 3 years though. Everyone was more like family, than subjects and servants. I know it's a tough business, I think these ppl make it harder, on themselves, and everyone, than it actually is!

Just in case anyone missed it! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread