Biofuels worse for the environment than Gas ...

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Fuels made from corn worse than gas for global warming, study says:

Fuels made from corn worse than gas for global warming, study says | NOLA.com

WASHINGTON — Biofuels made from the leftovers of harvested corn plants are worse than gasoline for global warming in the short term, a study shows, challenging the Obama administration's conclusions that they are a much cleaner oil alternative and will help combat climate change.

A $500,000 study paid for by the federal government and released Sunday in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Climate Change concludes that biofuels made with corn residue release 7 percent more greenhouse gases in the early years compared with conventional gasoline.

So, my question is: Will corn evolve so that these early years are a bad memory, or will the gooberment legislate that corn produce fewer greenhouse gasses?

Anyhow, the "Geniuses" later in the article, had this to say:

Later this year the company is scheduled to finish a $200 million-plus facility in Nevada, Iowa, that will produce 30 million gallons of cellulosic ethanol using corn residue from nearby farms. An assessment paid for by DuPont said that the ethanol it will produce there could be more than 100 percent better than gasoline in terms of greenhouse gas emissions.

Now, forgive me for being so ignorant but here goes:

If current use biofuels are 7% worse for the environment, that would mean that they release 7% more of the bad stuff than gasoline.

Now, here is where it gets too scientific for me: "the ethanol it will produce there could be more than 100 percent better than gasoline in terms of greenhouse gas emissions."

Math major here, but I'm not sure how they can do that. If you removed all of the greenhouse gas emissions that gas produces, you could ONLY remove 100% because by necessity percentage is measured as parts of the whole ... the whole being 100%.

Now this I must see: This stuff is apparently going to clean the air! The more we drive the cleaner the atmosphere will become. By the use of this biofuel, we will not just stop producing greenhouse gasses but apparently will be removing old greenhouse gasses just by burning it.

So, rev up them 4 wheel drives and muscle cars and drive em till the wheels fall off. We must save the planet!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the study and paper were developed by "Common Core" graduates.... Where else could it be that it is MORE than 100% better. As the Shadow knows, the math is suspect!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There math looks a bit cornie to me! LOL Frank...
111-2 700.jpg

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to make the man made global warming crowd upset, but fossil fuel or bio fuels matter not in the big picture. A single erupting volcano, discharges more co2 and other bad things in just a few minutes, than man has put into the atmosphere, since the industrial revolution.

Mike

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not to make the man made global warming crowd upset, but fossil fuel or bio fuels matter not in the big picture. A single erupting volcano, discharges more co2 and other bad things in just a few minutes, than man has put into the atmosphere, since the industrial revolution.

Mike

Who cares if a bunch of misled members of the herd get upset. They shouldn't be paying attention cause they might learn something which would upset the herd's unity. Listen to the end ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread