What size is that????

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Back in the 50's, I was introduced to the metric system. The instructor said it was the perfect system. It was based on the diameter of the Earth at the equator. I was wondering who measured it. Surely they must have used the "foot" system.
Ok here's my take on the systems The metric system uses a logical system breakdown intervals of hundredths, hundred and thousand. On the other hand, the "foot" system was originally based on the Kings actual foot which varied from King to King. After a wile it was standardize.
The big difference is that the "foot" system is a visual preceptor system. It's hard to visualize a hundredth of a meter, but you can easily visualize an inch. The foot measurement, that is by far the most used measurement has no equivalent in the metric system.

Now lets go to electronic measurements. When I learned electronics, frequency was measured in cycles per second (CPS), which it actually is. Now it is measured in Hertz (HZ), which is is the name of the guy that is said to have discovered it.

Kind of makes you think! Frank...
cock fight 700.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank you remind me of ME.... sometimes I jump into a deep thought and later I'm so deep into it .... I can't even remember where I leaped from... but it was some deep thinking!!!! Sometimes I take/write some notes, numbers and others writings to help me remember.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda makes ya think, Frankn. The U.S. is the only industrial country in the world that does not use the metric system.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Kinda makes ya think, Frankn. The U.S. is the only industrial country in the world that does not use the metric system.

... yeah, but if I give my opinion on that statement, it will be classed as political and I'll end up in Banned Camp again.

I'll just leave it at this: We were the only ones in WWII who weren't on the metric system. Our weapons were better, we had "the bomb" before the others, and we won.

Nothing political in that statement ...

jwilson_zpse3acc834.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Although I have complete sets of SAE & Metric tools, I think what makes me favor SAE is the foot measurement. I use it more than any other unit, an there is no equivalent in the metric system. Some metric countries still use SAE dementions in there products. Check your camera! That tripod mount hole is 1/4" 10/24 SAE threaded. Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

S

stefen

Frank,

You have too much time on your hands...

Maybe you need to think about a Walmart job as a Greeter.

Just kiddin...

Can you imagine describing what 8 inches is in CM's...you'd get laughted out of the bar...:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank,

You have too much time on your hands...

Maybe you need to think about a Walmart job as a Greeter.

Just kiddin...

Can you imagine describing what 8 inches is in CM's...you'd get laughted out of the bar...:laughing7:

Bull sh**.... I went for that job at 49 when I retired and was laughed out of the store. And the lady who interviewed me had never seen 8" in CM's.... Back to the woodshop.

S

stefen

There ya go...mind in the gutter...

I was speaking about a specimen trout...:laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest: