Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, let's say you find a drone with camera hovering low by your house. It's kinda your airspace right? Can't I simply blast it down at will? martin

Hell yes... that would be easy to do. And it wouldn't be hard at say 100 yds. either. And it wouldn't be hard to go to the nearest bank and make a quick withdrawal either. Trouble is both have cameras. Now the one over the house I'd blast in a heartbeat after I said hello with a one finger salute. But the bank withdrawal you might wanna wear your Mickey Mouse mask.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
But! Won't the owner getting the video show you blasting it to pieces? Are we in for a larger charge by shooting one, even those close?

Is it legal? Oh, and what if it is actually a law enforcement bird out there grabbing up personal data at will? Where does "legal" end for blasting it away? These hover craft for cheap will raise havoc. You gotta think

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on where you are, discharging a firearm may be a felony. You should probably look into your local laws.

Bullets that go up, must come back down somewhere. You are responsible for every pellet/bullet that comes out of the chamber.

So, annoying as they may be- going skeet shooting may not be the answer. (assuming you are looking for a legitimate answer)

Most of the drones are transmitting the pictures along with the Geo coordinates. If it's something official, you will be charged with a crime. If it's a neighborhood pervert- call the cops. Use your cell phone to take a video of the machine. Your cell phone also has the geo stamp embedded in it for evidence.

As this technology is rapidly developing, faster than the laws and studies can keep up with- it's an ever changing legal problem.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think 20 rounds of 7.62x51 would be able to clip it's wings. I'm willing.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would shoot it down use a small caliber pistol it does not go far...

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But! Won't the owner getting the video show you blasting it to pieces? Are we in for a larger charge by shooting one, even those close?

Is it legal? Oh, and what if it is actually a law enforcement bird out there grabbing up personal data at will? Where does "legal" end for blasting it away? These hover craft for cheap will raise havoc. You gotta think

I tell ya what I think again... ANY DRONE HOVERING OVER MY HOME WILL BE BROUGHT DOWN INSTANTLY. And I don't care if its the so called "authorities" or not. I'm NOT going to deal with them or the neighbor pervert there're going to deal with me. Hence the one finger salute before I drop it. I'm not going to worry about a "charge" for shooting down a hovering drone any more then they are about putting one over my home. I guess we'll have to see who's more pissed in the end. As far as shooting bullets into the air... hell millions everyday go up. How in the hell can someone trace a bullet back to your rifle muzzle 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles away. And besides a .22 mag with a silencer is no more noisy then the lead breaking in my pencil. They'll be no drones hovering above my home if I see them. And this would include city living or country living.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a drone, paint a pirate or rebel flag on it...
Drone wars!!
Of course make sure your is a little bigger..a little faster.
I just thought of a new TV show!.
The drone that saw to much....
Not above my house!
The droner chronicles...:laughing7::laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a drone, paint a pirate or rebel flag on it...
Drone wars!!
Of course make sure your is a little bigger..a little faster.
I just thought of a new TV show!.
The drone that saw to much....
Not above my house!
The droner chronicles...:laughing7::laughing7:

I kind of like this idea.... I think your onto something here buddy.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as shooting bullets into the air... hell millions everyday go up. How in the hell can someone trace a bullet back to your rifle muzzle 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles away.

All it takes is one neighbor who saw you shooting up, after seeing the news story, reporting the same to the police. A search warrant and ballistics test sent more than a few people to prison.

Just saying- when shooting up, it's got to come down.

MIDLOTHIAN, Va. — When a stray bullet pierced the top of Brendon Mackey's head, the 7-year-old was on his way to a July Fourth fireworks celebration with his dad and other family members. He died the next day in a Richmond hospital, a bullet lodged at the base of his skull, sparking a methodical, door-to-door search for a most elusive killer: celebratory gunfire.

More stories, click this to see what happens to the fired rounds

December 31,
2004: A 75 yr. old man in Orlando, FL. was mortally wounded in the heart from a falling bullet. Police later traced the bullet to a gun confiscated from a man firing into the air more than a mile away.

Last edited:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
You may be able to shoot down a drone.. but it maybe a little harder with satellites?

I can see where a few new laws will be made in the future about the use of drones!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G.I.B. I get your point but when I'm shooting a bullet into the air at a squirrel, pheasant, goose, duck or quail I'm NOT worrying about where the bullet lands. Millions are sent up every year. And if a neighbor wants to call the cops and say they saw me shooting up into the air... What would I care. The odds of a stray bullet hitting someone and killing them or injuring someone is about 10 million to 1 or much more. You and I everyday take our chances of being hit by a stray bullet... I'm signing up that I won't get hit or hit someone. I am going to fire UP if I see a hovering drone over my home.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
G.I.B. I get your point but when I'm shooting a bullet into the air at a squirrel, pheasant, goose, duck or quail I'm NOT worrying about where the bullet lands. Millions are sent up every year. And if a neighbor wants to call the cops and say they saw me shooting up into the air... What would I care. The odds of a stray bullet hitting someone and killing them or injuring someone is about 10 million to 1 or much more. You and I everyday take our chances of being hit by a stray bullet... I'm signing up that I won't get hit or hit someone. I am going to fire UP if I see a hovering drone over my home.

Understood, just giving the OP 'the other side of the story' so he/she can make an informed decision as to cranking off rounds into the sky.

I'll not reap the rewards/consequences of his actions. Just giving the opposing point of view. It's up to the person with the finger on the trigger-

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bird shot works wonders,I think goose shot,BB shot,would work decently,use full choke:laughing7:

Yea... 40 yds. and in your right on (closer is better). But I promise if one was hovering or moving slowly at say 50 yds. to 100 yds. the .22 mag would be my next choice. And IT WOULD COME DOWN. I'm not bragging at all... but it would come down. After that I guess we'll have to get serious.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let's say you find a drone with camera hovering low by your house. It's kinda your airspace right? Can't I simply blast it down at will? martin

The really expensive ones have cloaking devices and shields now. Welcome to the future....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread