Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"How do you know you are awake?" Well... I guess I really don't. There are times when I'm "dreaming" it just seems so real. And there's times when I'm awake and the I've "done this before" thing happens. Could be a little confusing. So my "being awake" world is probably like everybody else's... it's just a "learned and natural" mode from birth. Meaning eyes open I'm "awake"... eyes closed I'm sleeping and possibly dreaming.

"How do you know 1+1=2?" Well Chris... outside of "common learned sense" and a better way... I don't know. Maybe because 2-1=1 so 1+1=2? I really hope other new math options don't happen today... I'm starting a new project today and I'm kind of "old school" in my thinking.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember, as a kid, thinking that maybe we are just a dream; that we are not really living like we think we are. As for reality? Who knows? What do I believe? I believe we are living, that we are awake when we know we are; yet there are times we think we are awake when we are actually dreaming.
Mathematics, well, we are taught that 1+1=2; but some of the 'new' math and some of the 'quantum' (?) theories try to tell that some of our teachings have been wrong. Again, who know?
Chris, you're such a 'deep thinker'. You think of these things and ask questions about them. I think such things; but wonder if I'd be laughed off the forum if I asked questions about them! lol lol lol (I'm not trying to make fun of you; or 'knock' your thoughts. I think it's great that you have such ideas to ask us about.)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"How do you know you are awake?" Through the tricks of the 5 senses, my friend, that's all.
It can be considered subjective, also.

"How do you know 1+1=2?" Well, it doesn't, always. :icon_scratch:
Say as, in the case when you put 1 cat and 1 cat together. That will usually add up to 9 cats.
You know, a mommy, a daddy, and 7 baby cats. :laughing7:

My best and blessings to you and yours.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the current zombie nation, I would say most are asleep! :laughing7:

Seriously though, that was one of my earliest philosophical questions.......

How do we know we are not merely a "Brain in a box" dreaming our whole lives?

Some dreams are really incredible......... I've healed the sick, murdered, had multiple affairs, flew in the air, walked on water, seen ghosts, found amazing treasures, ran from the law, went back in time, (no doubt a past life or two) learned so many things about myself....You name it!
The crazy part is how real it felt when I woke up in the morning! It was like I could add those experiences to my reality.

We all agree (in this material world) that 1 + 1 = 2 but on another dimension? In another reality? On a different plane of existence? :dontknow:

When in meditation and one is floating in space, 1 + 1 = 2 doesn't exist because EVERYTHING IS ONE!!!!

Thanks for the questions Chris!

Cheers,
Dave.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Given the current zombie nation, I would say most are asleep! :laughing7:

Seriously though, that was one of my earliest philosophical questions.......

How do we know we are not merely a "Brain in a box" dreaming our whole lives?

... and if you had written that when you first thought of it, would YOU have called it "The Matrix"?

For me, remember hearing the expression that we were "made from dust". Shortly after hearing that, I first noticed specs of dust in a sunbeam and wondered if all of those specs were actually smaller versions of where I lived.

Years later, saw a Sci-Fi show which was pretty much the same.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
... and if you had written that when you first thought of it, would YOU have called it "The Matrix"?

For me, remember hearing the expression that we were "made from dust". Shortly after hearing that, I first noticed specs of dust in a sunbeam and wondered if all of those specs were actually smaller versions of where I lived.

Years later, saw a Sci-Fi show which was pretty much the same.

LOL! "Me, Myself, & I"; brings up the COSMIC question "WHO am I"...? A SPIRITUAL BEING having HUMAN experiences, good AND bad!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think we ever are awake in this life.....and 1+1=2 are just symbols we learn as a child

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! "Me, Myself, & I"; brings up the COSMIC question "WHO am I"...? A SPIRITUAL BEING having HUMAN experiences, good AND bad!

Its funny because when was around 10 or so, i used to ask myself.. "What Am I"...But than again...my parents kept the house a little tooo "Smokey" :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Why was I born me, in this region, to this family?"
"Why was I not born over there, in that image, to that family?"
"Why are my natural born instincts and interest different then others?"

"The best way to create mysteries is by asking questions that have no clear answers."

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Am I really living? That brings thoughts of The Matrix movie.
Here's my weird view of 'life'. Basically I died during an operation and was out of 'there' for a few fleeting moments thanks to an anesthesiologist who was also a jerk. I saw myself down there and the female doctor franticly trying to bring me back. This proved in my mind that we are merely energy temporally encased in a body. I view life like a reel of movie film that guides our lives from frame to frame. It's like an autopiolit but since we have free will, we can overide. Some do and some don't. Hay, what's a thought worth?

Now does 1+1=2? Maybe! If you are talking 1 orange + 1 orange = 2 orange that formula is correct, but if you are talking 1 banana +1 orange, you have a problem. You see context makes the difference.
111-2 de Vinci.jpg Frank...-

Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's easy...If I decide to dig a mid-tone signal and find a pull tab...I'm awake. If I decide to dig a mid-tone signal and find gold...then I'm asleep.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Good questions, thanks for asking. “Seek and ye shall find”, applies to life and knowledge as well as metal detecting. The short and sweet answer is that we normally know we are awake, by contrasting to when we are asleep. We normally recognize through our senses two states of consciousness, and give them each a word in our language to identify them by, “asleep and awake”. When our brains are able to tell the difference between the real world, and a pretend, imaginary, and make believe world, we are considered “awake”. When our brains are not able to use our senses to tell the difference between real and imaginary, we are considered asleep. There are some obscure and usually theoretical situations involving the loss of all the senses, or mental illness/defects, that would require first further defining the words "asleep" and "awake" before answering.
We are all pretty much in unison on the definitions of the symbols "1" and "2" so, we know 1+1=2, by taking one item, adding one more item, and then counting them together and confirming we have two items. One apple + one orange = two fruits

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well.....I'll give you my answer to these questions,I see that I am,and,I see that it does.

Any questions?

GOD Bless

Chris

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm NOT being a smart a$$ either. How do you know you are awake? How do you know 1+1=2? Answer honestly. GOD Bless Chris

You are Always lucid, unless your spectrum has you within purgatory.
Rem/DMT wont allow any other way

As for the mathmatics- nothing is incorrect until proven incorrect. Bottom line

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recall this from an old math class. 1+1=2 only in a system based on one.

If the system is based say on 7 1+1= 14

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread