Have you noticed?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes, very good story. Mike isn't just a big man, apparently his heart is pretty big too.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been seeing Mike's (BC1969) signature. At the bottom he added 'A story about Morals, my father and me' a few days ago.
How many of you have gone to the site and read this?
I just finished reading it. It's very heart-warming.
If you haven't read the article yet, you're missing something.
I agree 110% !! BC1969 is A genuine nice guy....But we all knew that already...:icon_thumright:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree 110% !! BC1969 is A genuine nice guy....But we all knew that already...:icon_thumright:

I also agree @ 111%. We all have problems... some we share and some we don't... and some we ask advise on... But, I'm sure Mike is a "genuine nice guy" as you stated Viking. "But we all knew that already". And I totally agree buddy. I'd be proud to have you and Mike as neighbors upon this ridge top. I really loved my "pops" also Mike. That's why I hate to sell this property, acreage and this shop we build together but I have to.

OP
OP
texasred777

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After I started this thread, Mike reminded me that there was already a thread that he posted about this same subject. I went back and looked at it. I was a bit dumbfounded. I had made a reply or two to his thread. I had completely forgotten about it. Really made me feel like I was 'losing it'. But, I will leave this thread because there may be some who didn't see Mike's thread and have not checked the site in his signature.

One more thing, I have not talked much about my dad. I would like to say that there never was or ever will be any man who will be able to 'hold a candle' to my dad. I'm sure that all your dads were great guys. Mine (to me) was the greatest that ever lived or ever will live. He was a family man, a Christian, stopped smoking when I was about 9, never drank, always fair, never overbearing, would help anyone who he determined deserved help, and he and my mom very seldom argued about anything. He was 36 and my mom was 27 when they married. He had stopped drinking when he was 27. (That's a story I'll have to tell sometime!)
Anytime I talk about him helping anyone he thought needed help, I always think of an incident in 1953. We lived in a small town about 30 miles east of Dallas. Kaufman, Texas. We were eating lunch one Saturday during the hottest part of summer. Dad looked out the window and saw a black man with a large box on his shoulder walking down the sidewalk. He watched about 30 seconds, got up from his chair, and said that he would be back in a few minutes. He went out to the man and asked him if he needed a ride. The man told dad that he thought he could get to his house ok. Dad told him to come get into the car and he would take him home. The man really didn't know what to think. He asked Dad how much he would have to pay for the ride. Dad told him that he wouldn't owe anything for the ride. In those days, there were not a lot of white people that would do something like that for a black person. Dad took the man and his box of groceries to the man's house. Again the man asked Dad how much he owed for the ride. Dad told him that he owed nothing.
When Dad got home, he didn't say much about what he had done. He just sat down and finished his lunch.
Dad wasn't an educated man. He had to quit school during the first grade because of an eye infection. He never returned. Though he wasn't educated in school, he was well educated in the ways of life. He didn't try to tell people how to live. He just lived an example for them to see.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have respect a man like your dad. He did what was right, and didn't try to raise himself up for doing the right thing. On the other hand, I have a strong dislike for folks who brag about their good deeds trying to make themselves seem "holier than thou."

Someone else felt that way:

Take care not to practice your righteousness in front of men to be noticed by them; otherwise you will have no reward with your Father who is in the heavens. So when you make gifts of mercy,a do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be glorified by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your gifts of mercy may be in secret. Then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.

That's likely why your dad felt it was nothing to brag about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread