OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay you guys, which answer did you swallow?
I see two things, 1- bloated prices for the scant amount available, and 2- little available.
I grabbed a brick on line that was way overpriced and that is it for me until sanity returns.
Frank five star.png
dirty harry.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoarders. Here in my small town, I know the Gun guy at Fred Meyer, the gun guy at Bi-Mart and the owner of the local sporting goods store. As soon as the ammo arrives, it is gone! A lot of the same people are buying it. Then, at the flea markets, garage sales and gun shows, they are reselling it for at least 100% markup. I see a pattern.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hoarders ain,t helping. One discussion earlier elsewhere claims a clerk was told how much one guy has. More than he will ever use for personal consumption if he lives to be very,very old. At least this clerk claims her company asked for a scrambled delivery schedule instead of feeding the same buyers in a line after they figured out delivery time. Hopefully someday they have no market for their inflated prices, but then people would have to quit buying it from them. There is a lot of demand.
Take the buyers picture and let them buy once a month or something....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hoarders ain't helping. One discussion earlier elsewhere claims a clerk was told how much one guy has. More than he will ever use for personal consumption if he lives to be very,very old. At least this clerk claims her company asked for a scrambled delivery schedule instead of feeding the same buyers in a line after they figured out delivery time. Hopefully someday they have no market for their inflated prices, but then people would have to quit buying it from them. There is a lot of demand.
Take the buyers picture and let them buy once a month or something....

The bubble will burst, and all the hoarders will go down the drain. Frank five star.png

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Through the last few years before .22 ammo got so short, I was buying quite a bit. I don't go out plinking and target shooting as much as I did for a while. I still have maybe 8 or 9 boxes of 100s in .22 LR. I also have a few longs and 1 box of 50 shorts. Maybe 150 rounds of .17 Mach 2, and a couple hundred .380 autos. I've quite a few shotgun shells on hand also. Saying all this, I'm not going to be buying any of the inflated ammo. If I was really short, I might consider it. It will probably never get back down to what we consider 'normal', but hopefully close.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the street sweeper is the new 10/22! Around here we have more shotgun shells the any other ammo.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They're just taking a page from the Oil Companies handbook. Remember the big Toilet Paper shortage?

Just an excuse to jack prices. Once they get what they want, they'll flood the marked with the old stock at a "discount" but you'll still pay more than double what you did before they manufactured the shortage.

500 .177 rounds for a pellet gun have gone to about $12.00 for what I use.

Edit: Correction. They are now $13.99/500 --- http://www.crosman.com/gear/ammo/LHP77 --- one year ago, $8.00/500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
What is happening is, sales are down, so manufacturers are trying to extract the same profit as before the volume of sales dropped. Those that stick to the old profit ratio will be the eventual survivors.
The outcome will actually be determined by how smart the consumers are. Frank five star.png

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just got my weekly sales flyer via email from one of the large nationwide mail order companies who shall remain nameless. They have 500rd bricks in stock for $49.95 plus shipping. I never thought I'd see ten cents per rd for .22LR but panic causes people to act crazy. That's actually cheap compared to what the flea market scalpers are asking. The solution is simple really. Don't buy it. The price will come down.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought 2 bricks for $22 a piece from the local ACE!... They've been building a new store and they themselves had been hoarding ammo just for the new opening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread