For us older members :) Retirement: U.S. Vs. Abroad

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've thought about a small motor home; or even a small travel trailer. I have a little 21' trailer, but it's an older model and too heavy for the Jeep (Grand Cherokee) to pull. I think it will be about as cheap, though a little more restrictive, to just stay in a motel if I want to travel. The way my COPD is hampering me, I'm probably not going to be traveling much anymore. So, I'll just stay close to home. There are a lot of things around here within a day's drive that I've not seen yet; just need to get started! lol

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not familiar with Costa Rica. You say the medical is cheap and the dental is cheap, but I am wondering about the Quality. I would also be concerned about how restrictive the laws are and the extent of human rights. How about property rights. Frank View attachment 1067536

My buddy John claims it's good. But I'm like you, as far as stability things can change on a dime. That plus I'm really anchored here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably more stable than here...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I envy you Frankn! I guess I needed to do what I did after my wife died. I sold out and moved up here to Idaho to be near my daughter and her family.
Back in Texas I had an acre with a nice mobile home on it that was in great shape. Everything was paid for. Had 2 vehicles, paid for.
Couple of things I didn't like though. Only had 'dial up' for internet; very slow. The city of Waco had just annexed us so I don't know just what would have happened after that. I was paying less than $90 a year for taxes (total) on the place!
Had neighbors that were no problem. It was on a 3/4 mile paved road that dead-ended on the Bosque River. My son and I used to go down to the river and walk up and down in the water while casting lures for fish. Really enjoyed living there.
I had re-roofed the mobile home with metal stout enough to walk on, and with about an 14 inch overhang, built a small room onto the rear, a front porch with roof and bannisters, a picket fence around part of the front yard, a 9' x 11' portable building on a concrete slab, and small shed behind it for other storage.
If my daughter hadn't insisted that I move up here, I think I would still be living there with my son, happily.
I'm not really griping; but just miss it. I'm now living in the house with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, and son. We have plenty of room, plenty to eat, heating and cooling, 2 freezers, a side by side fridge, a fridge with a top freezer, and 3 small fridges (one in the dining room, one in my bedroom, and one in the grandson's bedroom) 2 dogs, and 2 cats. I've got my tv/monitor, Directv (which I very seldom watch), coffee maker, toaster, microwave, computer, printer, Blu-ray player, VCR/DVD player/recorder. Also we have 20 mps internet. We can all use our computers at the same time and still watch movies on Netflix without any buffering, down load games, whatever without problems. What more could a man ask for? ?? Privacy! And I can get that by driving out to the place where I go shooting/plinking or out with the metal detectors. lol I spend almost all of my time, when at home, in my bedroom.

Tell you what. I'm moving to Kalispell, Montana next November to live with my sister. I'll drive down periodically and we can hang out, plink, whatever and I'll remind you of the horrible heat, the illegal immigrants, the traffic, the dryed up rivers(Frio, Nueces, Medina), the humidity, the crappiest beer in the world(Lone Star), the political nonsence in Austin that will soon be followed by the same, no matter who wins, the piss poor economy unless you're working for Halliburton in the oil shale fields, the drug cartels who keep moving deeper into Texas, the UT football team and probably a dozen or more other things that I can't think of right now. I'm not supposed to drink, but when I come to visit, I'll bring iced down moose drool ale(if you drink, go try it. Ask Treasure Hunterhow good it is. We'll send him a couple of cases next Christmas.). Trust me, compared to here, you are in paradise. Yeah, Baylor is winning(proof that God exists), but that's about all the excitement in Waco. Sorry about your lady, but you don't have to marry again. No matter where and at the age of 66, I'll try and dig up a couple of hot latinas to cruise with. Just take heart, I'm coming /escaping from Texas. Sure, I'll miss it too until a take in a big gulp of fresh mountain air...

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Austin, come on up. The only things in Texas that I miss really is kinfolk, good food, and few friends. There's not many of the kinfolk left. I've outlived most of them. I've still got a couple or three friends that would still like to see. Mostly I guess I miss the food. Up here very few places I've been to even know what a sopapilla is. Some have 'version' of it that's flat. One restaurant in Boise said they have the kind I like. But when they brought it out, it didn't have the same texture, and they had coated it with whipped cream, strawberries, and powdered sugar. YuK! I like them with just honey. Of all the items that Pancho's served, I liked their sopapillas best!
No, I don't miss the humidity, the fire ants, the fire grass, the chiggers, the storms. And the dogs certainly don't miss the fleas!!! I hear there are some fleas in certain parts of town, but I've not seen one in the seven and a half years I've lived here. I've not even seen a tick! I understand there are ticks up in the mountains.
As for the politics, well, I guess that's about par for most places. lol
Come on up and give me a shout. I'd like to meet you!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot the fire ants. Used to kill me when I wanted to fish. Don't worry, I bet I can find decent mexican food, including sopapillas with honey. Heck, I know how to make them and can order the mix too. I know there's honey up there. We'll meet next year, assuming I don't head for the real paradise...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread