Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So depressed, dog missing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, Racer 2, Ace 400
    2281 times
    Metal Detecting

So depressed, dog missing

My 3.5 year old German Shep for the 1st time ever got lose out of the yard ,,, Didn't notice for about 20 minutes then I saw the open gate, dang !
    Wasn't too concerned, I often walk him without a leash and he stays right with me, when I'm there I can leave the gate wide open and he doesn't step foot out of it.

But apparently, without me there he feels free to bolt, which I can understand.
    So I wnet looking and calling for him, expecting him to trot up any moment. Minutes turned to hours, now its been about 5 hours and I can't sleep, have to go to work in 3 hours I am a mess.

Went driving all around for hours, not a trace. Granted, its tough to find a black dog at night ,, But he knows the sound of my truck well, I'm sure he would have bolted to me if I passed him, in fact I was worried I might run him over.
    Live in a pure residential area, mostly little side streets but large roads near by, I'd like to think they are a barrier to him but ,,, I think there are 2 possibilities.
    1 obvious possibility, hit by a car and dead. The other, lost his way and is wandering around somewhere trying to find home. I've walking him plenty but never beyond 5 blocks are so. I know they say dogs have a homing instinct, I don't know.
    Its 37 degrees out tonight, he is a house dog and has never spent a night in the cold. Survivable for sure, but I don't think hes enjoying freedom so much he doesn't want to rush back - He is either dead or lost, I feel like a part of me suddenly died.

Obviously I a hoping or the latter, today is crucial, if he is out roaming he will likely be picked up by the dog pound. If there is no word on him by 3pm or so, I don't think I'll ever see my boy again ... Hope for the best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	873.8 KB 
ID:	1521451  
    gold boy and dts52 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27754 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hope he turns up soon and still healthy. I know what it is like, I use to raise boxers, owned 9 in my life time, had 2-3 at a time for over 20 years, several decided to go exploring from time to time by jumping the fence, a 4 foot fence at that. Lost one to a car too, she was my first boxer, only 15 months old......
    jeff-gordon and DizzyDigger like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    some where in the great state of Texas
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre. Carry a 22 cal. six-shooter.
    10048 times
    hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    so sorry i'm a dog lover too about last year i lost jack russel terrier to age he was 13
    dts52 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    4889 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sorry to hear that,hope he just comes back home... good luck !
    Gary
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    17916 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm thinking he is okay. Just a little cold and not going to wander off again.
    He'll show up,, but put up a few signs and check with the local pound.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    3591 times
    check any and all local pounds and shelters. It always amazes me people don't do this(not saying that you havent thought of it). I see them in shelters around here for weeks because people don't think to look.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    1902 times
    Hope he comes back soon. Contact your Police department too. Dogs are strong and will come to a stranger soon.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2281 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, thing about shelters, he got out around 9pm last night, shelters open at 9 am - A full 12 hours missing on a cold night is not a good omen ,,, But yes, thats the 1st thing I had my lady do.

I had to go to work 6am, couldn't make it past lunch I am just a wreck.
    Going to try craigslist lost and found, other than that its in the lap of the gods. He does have tags, including one with my name and number, but it is barely legible.
    He is a very friendly dog, best people dog I ever had, I guess the possibility exists he was dognapped, just jumped in someones car.

I would think if he was lying dead in the road being a 95 lb animal the city animal control would pick him up, and notify me since they know I'm missing a black shep.

Thanks for the well wishes, I have a slight shred of hope but the realist in me is shouting loud and clear - It would take a miracle to make it home.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2560 times
    Prospecting
    I'm sorry for your pain. I'm a dog guy myself....currently on #14. Had 7 German Shepherds over the years. I have no great ideas that others haven't expressed. He's probably our chasing girls. Hopefully, he'll show up.
    Jim

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2788 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I'm so sorry about your dog...Kansas City just had a big news story about a missing dog...'Truman'. His owner put ads on FB, CL, Flyers, Got the news involved etc. Truman (German Shepard Dog) had unlocked the vet office during the night after his surgery...Anyway, the word got out and some not so good people were holding him waiting for a reward...neighbors of theirs turned them in.

Truman Was Safely Returned Home!!

I hope you have the same outcome Soon!!

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19707 times
    Metal Detecting
    Prayer offered for you and your Pup. I hope he ends up back at the Casa.

us
    Jan 2017
    Troy Missouri
    236 times
    Most dogs will find their way home if left alone, however most people that see a dog wandering wont leave it alone, odds are someone took him in.

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2281 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks again for replies, makes me feel better.
    Gotta say, I have always been very nice to this dog, a little tap on the butt is all he ever got from me when he misbehaved. Paid alot of attention to him, every day even after hard days work I'd walk him or at least throw his ball for a while.
    Always greeted eachother when we met, sometimes a dozen times a day, when I got up at night for a drink he'd be so tired he could barely raise his head, I'd scratch his head and belly which sent him into grunts of pleasure. took hi to my camper alot, most often of the leash and he'd always stick right by me. [Posted about that recently by chance]
    Dog + girl
    Had a great relationship, at least I can say I have no regrets, unlike some of my other departed dogs.

Anyhow, I received this email reply to my craigslist lost ad, I was touched to say the least, I'll post it in its entirety.

"
    I⁣ drive ⁣near th⁣at area⁣ everyd⁣ay to w⁣ork, so⁣ I'll k⁣eep my ⁣eyes op⁣en! The⁣re is a⁣nother ⁣website⁣ you ca⁣n use t⁣oo to g⁣et the ⁣word ou⁣t calle⁣d www. ⁣MyLostP⁣etAlert⁣s.Com. ⁣I used ⁣their a⁣lert se⁣rvice p⁣ackage ⁣when my⁣ cat es⁣caped a⁣nd was ⁣missing⁣ for ov⁣er a we⁣ek, the⁣y basic⁣ally ro⁣bo call⁣ed hund⁣reds of⁣ homes ⁣and use⁣d Faceb⁣ook adv⁣ertisin⁣g to sh⁣ow my c⁣ats pho⁣to near⁣by. It'⁣s reall⁣y smart⁣ that t⁣hey use⁣ Facebo⁣ok ads,⁣ that's⁣ ultima⁣tely wh⁣at work⁣ed. The⁣ day af⁣ter pos⁣ting on⁣ mylost⁣petaler⁣t, I re⁣ceived ⁣an emai⁣l sayin⁣g "i th⁣ink i h⁣ave you⁣r cat. ⁣please ⁣call me⁣". Appa⁣rently ⁣a young⁣er coup⁣le had ⁣thought⁣ he was⁣ a stra⁣y and w⁣ere goi⁣ng to k⁣eep him⁣ until ⁣they sa⁣w the a⁣d. Than⁣kfully ⁣they re⁣turned ⁣him to ⁣me... A⁣nyway, ⁣I felt ⁣compell⁣ed to w⁣rite yo⁣u becau⁣se I kn⁣ow how ⁣hard it⁣ was fo⁣r me wh⁣en he w⁣as miss⁣ing, I ⁣cried a⁣lmost e⁣veryday⁣. The m⁣oney sp⁣ent on ⁣the ale⁣rt was ⁣well wo⁣rth it.⁣ You sh⁣ould al⁣so sign⁣ up for⁣ Nextdo⁣or and ⁣post th⁣ere, it⁣'s free⁣. Hope ⁣you fin⁣d them ⁣soon"

Sent a sincere thanks back and really poured my heart out a bit, but when I went to this lostpetalerts.com I notice they have a basic free service which is basically nothing, just a flyer printout, then "packages" from $50 to $2
    00 + ,,, At that moment I thought most likely this is a scam to get desperate people to sign up, and probably sends the same nice message to every lost pet ad posted.

I could be wrong of course, what do you guys think ?
    [I posted a generic lost cat ad from a different local city under another email, if he/she/it replies to that one too, I'll know]

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2281 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never did hear back, but I did forget to attach the "lost" prefix - I'm inclined to think its a $$ grab.

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    1026 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Hope your buddy returns home safely, I know they become part of the family. I was a Labrador man most of my life, now that I'm older I've got a spayed JRT. Hopefully yours is just out having some guy fun. My prayers out for his safe return.
    HH
    dts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links