Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's your brush with fame?

When I was in the Army (Old Guard) Arlington Va, at the Kennedy funeral I opened the limosine door for Robert Kennedy, going into the Rotunda of the Capitol, where his brother Jack lay in state.
At the Washington Cathedral the next day, I was guarding the press platform, (A flatbed trailer), I turned every time my Seargeant walked away, & saw everyone from Prince Philip, Billy Graham, Peter Lawford, President Charles Degualle, Harold Wilson, Kennedy brothers, Jackie, Caroline, John-John, (about the time he gave his famous salute), General Halli Salise, (the lion of Judah), & many many that I didn't recognize, I saw President (Truman) in a limo.
While guarding the Grave later, we saw Dan Blocker, who played 'Hoss' on the show (Bonanza), along with President Johnson & his wife & daughters.
We also saw Jackie on a visit to the grave.
I saw former President Eisenhour at two funerals of his Army friends.

Fossis............

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I used to live very close to the old Pittsburgh Airport and as little kids my dad would take us to Howard Johnson' (Ho-Jo's) on the night that the wrestlers would come to town (WWF the real stuff). We looked forward to that all week. I met and have the Autograph of the fabulous Moolah, the Moon Dogs, and Jimmy "Super Fly" Snuka. Andre the Giant accidentally stepped on my sisters foot and to apologize picked up our check.
During his 1980 Presidential bid, Ronald Reagan, came to my home town. Mom took a picture of the event, but cannot find it.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Real de Tayopa said:
OHIO Djuicy: you posted --->"I've worked with many famous people". Forget the word wo-- and I forgive you.

Don Jose de La Mancha

haha

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Following along Fossis' footsteps, I was in Dallas that day. High school student. Went downtown for the motorcade, headed home after shooting, sat on front steps and watched dozens of Dallas' finest crash the neighborhood. Lived 6 blocks from Oswald, 1.5 blocks from where he shot Officer Tippett, and about 8 blocks from the theater where he was caught. Right in the middle of it all. Police picked up a jacket in the apartment complex where I lived with my parents, and asked if we knew who may have dropped it. They took it with them.

Everything we knew was "after the fact," but we were 'right there.' I still remember every feeling I felt. Never seen so much action in one day in my life.

Noodle

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i meet NANA and Charlie :wave:

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back in 1985 when my cousin and I moved to Los Angeles to become a stand up comic and him a drummer we used to hang out at the Improv on Melrose in Hollywood. I met a TON of comics. I sat at the bar one night and shared drinks with Jefferson from " Welcome Back Kotter ". He was a really down to earth guy. I met Tom Hanks, Jerry Seinfeld, Richard Belzer ( a real jerk ), and too many to list. The is a special round table in the club that is for " A " lists celebs only, and one night Jay Leno came in He recognized me from some of the comic q&a's the celebs used to host and invited me over... Those in the comic world at this time this was HUGE!!!! We talked for about 45 min and had a blast. Just before I said goodbye he said there was a blond at the bar that kept looking over and I should say that we are doing a " project " together and I was a producer... But I just didn't think that was right.. but when I went back to the bar she kept saying " who are you ? " and I told the truth. Just a no name comic trying to make it.. She just kept saying who are you...I looked over to Jay and he smiled and gave me a thumbs up. The blond asked the same thing again and I said " OK, Jay and I are working on a project and we want to keep it under the table... Why are you a actress ??? Her answer " why yes.... It was the best night I ever had :o :o :o
PLL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

hey you told her the truth and that didn't work ---so you told her what she "wanted" to hear. --- oh well -- :icon_pirat: argh --get the pirate booty

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Noodle said:
Following along Fossis' footsteps, I was in Dallas that day. High school student. Went downtown for the motorcade, headed home after shooting, sat on front steps and watched dozens of Dallas' finest crash the neighborhood. Lived 6 blocks from Oswald, 1.5 blocks from where he shot Officer Tippett, and about 8 blocks from the theater where he was caught. Right in the middle of it all. Police picked up a jacket in the apartment complex where I lived with my parents, and asked if we knew who may have dropped it. They took it with them.

Everything we knew was "after the fact," but we were 'right there.' I still remember every feeling I felt. Never seen so much action in one day in my life.

Noodle

Wow... :o

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

A pastor friend of mine, Ron Butrum....is related to Pat Butrum....who was Mr Haney on Green Acres :)

haney.jpg

TW

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While in 'Nam,(1968-1969) I got to meet and talk with Sheb Wooley. He was a country music artist and movie actor. He played Pete the scout on the old Rawhide T.V. series (with Clint Eastwood playing Rowdy Yates). He was a character actor in several John Wayne movies and was in Clint Eastwood's movie The Outlaw Jose Wales. He recorded comical songs as an alter ego, Ben Colder.

Also, in'Nam---got to met, shake hands with and talk with Tex Ritter. I grew up watching his movies as a singing cowboy. Anybody who don't know who he was should "get a life", ::)

While in 'Nam, helped a pilot from my squadron (flying A-37A's) get out of and away from his plane after he crashed on takeoff. He started to go into shock saying, "I can't find my other flight glove; I can't find my other flight glove." I told him , "F---- the flight glove, Lieutenant. We need to get the hell out of here and I started pushing him down the ditch where his plane stopped. He was lucky enough to figure out that he shouldn't "blow" the canopy on his bird to get out. He unlocked the canopy and pushed it up to the locked-open position by hand. I say "lucky" because the left wing was broken in half and JP-4 was all over the place. The 4-500lb and 2-250lb bombs hung under the wings would not have liked any fire that could have started from a gnat's fart. :o
Anyway, he and I were about 50 yards down the ditchline before the Crash Chopper got overhead. When the Flight Safety Officer drove up with the Fire Chief, I trotted back over to the Arm / DeArm shack where my duty was that day. The "fame" part would have come in my small town's newspaper IF that plane had blown my boney butt into the stratosphere. :icon_pale:

While stationed at Vandenberg AFB in California, I took my family over to Solvang one summer day to try some Scandinavian food and saw the guy that played the character "John" on the TV series Chips. Man, he looked bad in the face. The makeup artists sure had to work on him for the camera.
NOTE: Anybody travelling through California in the area of Lompoc and Santa Maria---go on the short side trip to Solvang. You will not regret it. Great food and that is a place where a lot of movie and TV stars go to get "lost" in the crowd and relax. That's where I first found Fried Ice Cream. James Arness's ranch isn't too far away.

Stryker_FO

Feb 22, 2008
White Mountain Lakes
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was 16 I was at a LA Dodgers Game and looked behind me and told my Girlfreind hey there is that m((%$%$ that played on harry and the hendersons .. He tapped me on the shoulder and said you mean John Lithgow.. He subsequently signed the back of my dodgers ticket..

I worked at a Country Fest in Manhattan KS and met Tim Mcgraw , Bryan White and tons of other country stars.

While a recruiter in Denver I met John elway, Tod Helton, and almost the whole Av's team.

While in Iraq I met Toby Keith at a concert

Last Week I met Aaron Rodgers ( Farves replacement) and Keith Barry from the packers.. they were pretty cool.

Over my last 13 years in the Army I have met too many people to remember at various concerts and shows.

I have also met several Iditarod Racers who are some of the toughest most grueling racers in the world.

Ohh not to mention I meet myself every morning in the mirror :P just kidding had to throw that out there.

drywalldave

Feb 6, 2008
redmond oregon

Shortstack said:
While in 'Nam,(1968-1969) I got to meet and talk with Sheb Wooley. He was a country music artist and movie actor. He played Pete the scout on the old Rawhide T.V. series (with Clint Eastwood playing Rowdy Yates). He was a character actor in several John Wayne movies and was in Clint Eastwood's movie The Outlaw Jose Wales. He recorded comical songs as an alter ego, Ben Colder.

Also, in'Nam---got to met, shake hands with and talk with Tex Ritter. I grew up watching his movies as a singing cowboy. Anybody who don't know who he was should "get a life", ::)

While in 'Nam, helped a pilot from my squadron (flying A-37A's) get out of and away from his plane after he crashed on takeoff. He started to go into shock saying, "I can't find my other flight glove; I can't find my other flight glove." I told him , "F---- the flight glove, Lieutenant. We need to get the hell out of here and I started pushing him down the ditch where his plane stopped. He was lucky enough to figure out that he shouldn't "blow" the canopy on his bird to get out. He unlocked the canopy and pushed it up to the locked-open position by hand. I say "lucky" because the left wing was broken in half and JP-4 was all over the place. The 4-500lb and 2-250lb bombs hung under the wings would not have liked any fire that could have started from a gnat's fart. :o
Anyway, he and I were about 50 yards down the ditchline before the Crash Chopper got overhead. When the Flight Safety Officer drove up with the Fire Chief, I trotted back over to the Arm / DeArm shack where my duty was that day. The "fame" part would have come in my small town's newspaper IF that plane had blown my boney butt into the stratosphere. :icon_pale:

While stationed at Vandenberg AFB in California, I took my family over to Solvang one summer day to try some Scandinavian food and saw the guy that played the character "John" on the TV series Chips. Man, he looked bad in the face. The makeup artists sure had to work on him for the camera.
NOTE: Anybody travelling through California in the area of Lompoc and Santa Maria---go on the short side trip to Solvang. You will not regret it. Great food and that is a place where a lot of movie and TV stars go to get "lost" in the crowd and relax. James Arness's ranch isn't too far away.
Sheb Wooley sang " Purple People Eater"

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Mine would be:
Meeting Billy Idol in 1983 after a concert at UNH. Me a couple of friends were the only ones to wait out by his tour bus.
Watching Joe Perry go toe-to-toe with an old girlfriends father regarding the fact that we had a bunch of cars in a field he owned (in Marshfield Mass.), while my girlfriends family was having their annual summer bash. They'd been using this plot for many years, but since Perry was trying to sell the land he wasn't happy... he lost the debate... I didn't get an autograph.
Delivering a pizza to the Junk Yard Dog from WWF in 1987, Windsor CT.

But I think my present girlfriend has me beat: While staying at a castle in Ireland that a family friend owned she came home too late to join the formal dinner held each night for the dozen or so people that stayed there. They told her to just go into the kitchen and help herself to whatever she could find. Just about that time another guest, Drew Barrymore, came in late as well, having been working late on the movie "Ever After". Well she was hungry too, so they sent her in with my girlfriend and they worked together to make a meal, which they sat down and enjoyed together.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

drywalldave said:
Shortstack said:

NOTE: Anybody travelling through California in the area of Lompoc and Santa Maria---go on the short side trip to Solvang. You will not regret it. Great food and that is a place where a lot of movie and TV stars go to get "lost" in the crowd and relax. James Arness's ranch isn't too far away.
Sheb Wooley sang " Purple People Eater"
I used to live down the road from the man who taught Sheb Wooley to play the guitar, neat old man named Mr. Wooten.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TEX RITTER IS THE MAN (also the father of the late JON RITTER) :coffee2:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE said:

I agree. That day in the Nam, he and his little band used a truck flatbed trailer as a stage, inside a metal building that was being used as a backup hangar. That uninsulated building was HOT AS H___ that day and Tex was wearing one of his signature western suits with rhinestone decorations and his big creme colored Stetson. He was sweating big time and his face was tomato red, but he put on a full show singing all of his songs without punking out. He HAD to have been miserable, but he did not quit. That day, Tex Ritter proved himself a real man AND a patriot. While talking with him, I noticed that he did not talk down to me. He talked to my buddy and me like he'd known us all of our lives. Hollywood folks today could learn a lot from him, but won't ever get the chance. He's dead and they aren't interested enough to try anyway.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shortstack said:
EDDE said:

I agree. That day in the Nam, he and his little band used a truck flatbed trailer as a stage, inside a metal building that was being used as a backup hangar. That uninsulated building was HOT AS H___ that day and Tex was wearing one of his signature western suits with rhinestone decorations and his big creme colored Stetson. He was sweating big time and his face was tomato red, but he put on a full show singing all of his songs without punking out. He HAD to have been miserable, but he did not quit. That day, Tex Ritter proved himself a real man AND a patriot. While talking with him, I noticed that he did not talk down to me. He talked to my buddy and me like he'd known us all of our lives. Hollywood folks today could learn a lot from him, but won't ever get the chance. He's dead and they aren't interested enough to try anyway.
:thumbsup:

PALEOMAN

Dec 11, 2007
COLORADO
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT

YEARS AGO I WENT INTO A TINY BAR IN GLENNWOOD SPRINGS CO. THERE SAT JOHN DENVER. AFTER A COUPLE OF SHOTS I INTRODUCED MYSELF GEING A BIG FAN. HE WAS THE NICEST GUY!

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006

I'm a tax auditor for the Satet of New York, think I've ever met any famous people? :icon_scratch:

Can't name names of course, but I'm more impressed by some of the "quieter" billionares (and they do exist) that I have spent time auditing. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread