Talked to favorite my favorite author of all times today!

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has nothing to do with metal detecting but I just wanted to share it with y'all. I'm a really big fan of the author Harry Crews. He writes about things in the south better than anyone has ever written about things in the south. If you saw him on the street, you'd think he was a rough biker or maybe even a street person. He has tattoos and a mohawk. He's seventy-four years old, and he's in pretty bad shape after a recent operation. But today, after much digging and looking and asking questions of many of his colleagues in the literary world, I actually got to speak with Mr.Crews. He told me he was dying. I told him please don't, I was pulling for him. He said don't waste my pull, he was ready to go home, he was tired. But, he also told me that if he pulled through, and I was anywhere near his home in Florida, to come by. He said he wasn't much on phone conversations, but if I'd come by he'd sit and talk with me until I got tired of talking. I'm still sitting here stunned that I spoke with a true legend after all these years.
You can find his books in most all book stores, some of which are Feast of Snakes, Blood Sport, Scarface (NOTHING to do with Al Capone or Tony Montana), and many more. If you grew up in the south out in the country like I did, and saw the rougher side of things, that's what he writes about. I hope you share in my enthusiasm, or are at least not weirded out that I posted this.

Thanks,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scar Lover, not Scarface, I'm a moron. I've read the book, and I was glancing at his books on the shelf and that one jumped out at me, like "Get your story straight!!" Sorry about that.
The author that was mentioned Cormac McCarthy wrote No Country for Old Men, that was made into a movie earlier this year.
Harry Crews is similar, in that he talks about the things that people don't talk about. If young boys liked to visit an old woman in town not because she made good cookies, but because she could smoke a cigarette through a hole in her throat, stuff like that. His writing forces you to slow down and look at the traffic accident. It ain't for everybody, Flannery O'Connor kinda stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread