Excalibur 800 / 1000 / II Switches/pots available

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any one is interested...

I have the Pots / Switches for the ML Excalibur series

These are a direct replacement and other than a bit of care when fitting/soldering in they require no mods.

The Volume and Discrimination pots usually come with no switch; but the ones I have do... So you get that tactile feedback for when you turn off or get to 0...

NO MD Manufacturer or other supplier has these.. And I assemble them at home...

I thought it only fair that others IN NEED should be aware that I may be able to help out; rather than binning a machine or having to buy a new MOB...

PM me for more info if you are looking for these switches/pots for the ML Excalibur range of Detectors..

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of pics that I forgot to post.

The bottem

2018-01-29 22.41.22 (Medium).jpg

The top of a Volume / Discrim pot

2018-01-29 22.41.09 (Medium).jpg

The top and bottom of the PP / Threshold / Sen Pot.

2018-01-29 22.40.51 (Medium).jpg

Top L/H is the only commercial one that is close. But the shaft is small in Dia and a few mm short. Thus you have to modify it.

The top 2 to the R/H are ML Originals....

The bottom 4 are the ones I assemble / make up. The shaft is a tad thicker as that allowed me to go deeper and slightly wider on the locating slot. This then allows a slight ease of tolerance when stripping down and re assembly. Without impacting on the shaft strength.

I do leave the switch on the other pots as I find teh tactile feedback as handy when in teh dark and not knowing if I have turned all the way down.

2018-01-29 21.59.34 (Medium).jpg

Trust this might help those that are in need or looking at a repair...

AM.

OP
OP
A

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have these up on e-bay, but I am happy to take a PM and maybe offer a special T?Net discount depending on quantity and postage..

OP
OP
A

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As to switches.... Lots jump on the band wagon as to the switches used on the Excal...

As a Bio med/Electronics and a Quality person; I like to review all faults and see what the root cause was. Hence I like to get the faulty ones and strip and reverse engineer as much as I can.

A: Physics is often forgotten by uses
C: Looks over functionality
D: Assumptions and lots of unfounded Utube and posts by people that have never fully investigated the fault/cause.

1: The collet on the Ml switch is a plastic for MANY good reasons. CON. Needs to be a better material as goes brittle.
2: All 3rd party the replacements I see; have SS or Brass or Copper collets. CON. Corrosion and RFI
3: 3D printing of said collet unit is crap... I have moulded some for my personal use, but would not sell as the Quality is not there.
4: 3rd party switches are often bigger and or have a section that allows easy of turning. CON. Excessive Torque and broken pots.

After stripping and even attempting to rebuild some faulty pots; I am happy to say that 99% of failures are of TWO main physical causes and a 3rd one for good measure.

### 3rd party knobs that make it much easier for the user to over torque when switching OFF or going to Max. Threshold and PP are teh most common affected.

*** Knocks on the top of the switches that then send a shock down the shafts and fracture the carbon tracks; which can cause jumpy response or total fail.

&&& Knocks from the side that then fracture the knob/switch spigot. This is often not noticed until water gets in and or a service is attempted and the spigot fractures. In addition, when a 3rd party knob corrodes on and people use force to remove it, the spigot can be damaged.

Thus my recommendation is as follows; Use the standard ML switches and contact ML to obtain the plastic collets AND use a suitable knob guard to restrict blunt force trauma to the knobs.

OP
OP
A

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI ALL

I No Longer have any SPARE pots / switches for the Excalibur range of machines.

Sorry, but supply of said parts is no longer possible.

Thanks for looking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions