Any info would be nice

DixieHunter145

Oct 12, 2008
Hanceville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 w/ YF-1 Invader Probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, so I found this bottle back in the summer of 2008 and at the time didn't know what I had. About a week later my buddy and Tnet member Chefman sent me a PM with a link. Upon following the link I discovered that I had found my first Hutchinson "Hutch" Soda Bottle. I found this about 20-25 feet from where an old house used to stand in Cullman. It was the only completely whole bottle left. Later that night I was cleaning the bottle and discovered it had embossing on it! It read: M.H. Bogue - Cullman Bottling Works - Cullman, Alabama. That's why I'm writing this, I have searched all over the local online records of Cullman and still have not found any solid information on M.H. Bogue ??? If anybody can tell me any solid info on him or the bottling company, please do so.

~One last question~
How rare is it to find a Hutch with the internal stopper still intact?

DixieHunter145

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick,
Sorry, I just saw your post last night or I would have answered sooner. Here's a web page about Hutch bottles.

http://www.antiquebottles.com/hutch/

As for M.H. Bogue, his name was Moses H. Bogue who was born in Ky. He and his wife Lydia moved to Cullman between 1885 and 1889. They lived on 1st Ave. East. There is a house on the Historical Register called the Bogue-Herrell House at 706 1st Ave. E. I'm assuming this is their home.
In the 1900 census Moses was a telegraph operator. By 1910 he was manufacturing at a bottling works and 1920 was the owner of a bottling works. He died in 1923.
The 1910 Sanborn Fire Ins. maps show Cullman Bottling Works on the corner of 2nd Ave E. and 4th St.
cullman bottling.jpg

Hope this helps,
Lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions