Heartbreaker

centraliowa21

Mar 23, 2011
Found this point about 2 weeks back on the river. I would have to guess it is an Archaic piece. I believe the material is heat-treated Maynes Creek. It has some really nice secondary flaking with slight beveling on one side of each face. Haven't had a point restored but am really thinking about it for this one. Right now it is 2 1/4 inches.
88.jpg
DSC00913.jpg
DSC00919.jpg

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Nice one CT21 sweet material and vein I am on the fence about point restoration maybee the imagination is left at best.

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting...you can tell that would have been a dandy, also love the vein running vertical. Cool stuff.

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
It's still a nice find :thumbsup: I think it might be hard to accurately restore, as the type is determined by the base. Love the material!

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Heartbreaker is right. I have a few pieces that are made of the same material. Below is a picture of a few of them and I know I have a couple others. Every piece I've got is broken I've found this material in central, southern and southeastern part of the state. I'm not sure what the material is but I'd bet that Mat could enlighten us.

IMG_1581.jpg

PaleoHunter

Nov 28, 2011
Heartland
Primary Interest:
Other
Prime- love that material! some of my favorite material has veins like that running down the middle...thanks for posting.

Matt G

Mar 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material is heat treated Maynes Creek from eastern Marshall, Tama, and southern Hardin counties. Comes in probably ten distinct colors or patterns depending on the location and stratigraphic horizon it comes from.

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread