7-20-09 Finds

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted for about 3 hours at the same place as previous posts.

This hunt turned into a wheat harvest.

Very frustrating to find this many wheaties and NO Silver.

Not pictured is the usual clad and junk.

scan0001.jpg

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
Nice going....it must be easier digging there than here around Atoka when its really dry. Some of what I hunt in is black gumbo or red clay. Takes some doing to get past 3 inches....thats where the M16 bayonet comes in handy.

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Yellowhouse.

Probably be September before the ground softens up.

The rain and cooler temps recently have made digging a little better.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a dozen posts at least that states, "Where you find wheats , you'll always find silver"? Baloney! I've found lots of wheats without ever finding silver. I don't know what it is about Oklahoma but those overused adages don't always hold true here. I often tire of digging pennies , even wheats. Many times I just discriminate out pennies and concentate on silver colored coins. One thing that I have found though is that the silver is often found at about 8" for some reason. Monty

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
I'd guess that your odds are better for silver when wheaties are found. I just got back into MD after a 25 year hiatus. My only silver was a merc 3 inches deep and a wheatie was found 3 ft away about the same depth. I just can't tell around here cause so many places have had fill dirt added often loaded down with trash. Then some time in the fifties they went through and put new sewer lines/electric in and disturbed the soil along sidewalks which is where I found those. I can tell you there ain't hardly any way to dig 8 inches here right now.

The most fun I ever had was at an elementary school in Mississippi back in the seventies. I don't think it had ever been hunted at all. In two hours I found something like 50 coins. There was no trash so near every dig was a coin. Mostly wheats but some jeffs and a few buffs. Am sure there was silver somewhere but time was limited and I never got to go back. This was with an old Garrett...maybe a Hunter & a 6 in coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread