Do you find the numeric target ID to be accurate on the F2?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fellow Hunters,

do any of you ever find the numeral target id to be fairly dead on.....lets say you have your detector out and its hits like a 10..and you find a coin....will coins usually read at 10 every time?

thanks for your wizdom

Larry

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I have the F2 and it seems to be correct most of the time. to be honest i dont use the screen much i just listen for the high pitch tones. i gotta get used to the screen.

Dennis

lms7652

May 19, 2006
I know the f2 is a coin killer. My daugher has one that I use from time to time and she cleans house every time we go out. She usually beats me in coin numbers when we go out. I will use the 3D or Explorer and concentrate on the deep signals while she runs around and cleans up all the shallow clad.....;o)

I have not found that the numbers always hit exactly the same. Lets say most zinc pennies hit at around a 59 reading. Most other zincs will probably come in somewhere around there too. But the deeper the coin gets the more the readings will be affected. They will probably start to get jumpy. I have found though that a deep coin will usually id in the coin range even if the numbers are jumping around.

It is real accurate on quarters. If it says its a quarter 9 times out of 10 it will be one.....

b14ckd34th

Jul 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
Prizm 3, Fisher F2, Fisher F5
Agreed with both..F2 is spot on for the most part..not the deepest machine but if its close youll know what it is..

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
In mineralized ground, a dime might ID as dime, quarter & zinc, lots of bouncing, but anything that goes above pulltab is probably a coin. HH, George (MN)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F2 is a clad hog, it's accurate to about 4" on a dime in my area. (Farmland)
The deeper the coin the more it reads iron and I've also found that to be true for most machines.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its acurate on all but nickels. It locks well on quarters dimes and pennys but not as well on nickels.

Cladder

Sep 30, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, minelab xterra 70
19Blockhead64 said:
The F2 is a clad hog, it's accurate to about 4" on a dime in my area. (Farmland)
The deeper the coin the more it reads iron and I've also found that to be true for most machines.

Block Head
I am a newbie and the F2 is my first detector. I took it to my back yard and got 4 wheaties, which usalyy read as zinc, one of them read as a quarter. I had alot of readings on iron, and since you said some of the coins read as iron if they are deep, do you dig most of the iron targets, or can you tell good iron from bad iron by the numbers?

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should of been a little clearer in my previous statement in that the deeper the coin the lower the reading you'll get. I have never dug a coin in the iron range but I have coins in my test bed that are 8 or so inches down and they read as iffy iron targets.
Coins for the most part will give a good repeatable signal in an X sweep.
A copper penny will read 71 -72 if it’s 2-3 inches down where as that same coin will read lower in the zinc range if it’s 5-6 inches deep. Same is true for quarters, dimes and nickels.
Nickels are my favorite because they will bounce between 29 and 32 close to the surface and will bounce as low as 27 -32 if their deeper. That’s how you know if it’s a nickel and not a pull tab because pull tabs don’t bounce around they will lock onto 1 or 2 numbers. Beaver tail pull tabs being the exception I mistake them every time for nickels, but if your finding those than silver is not far behind.
As you become familiar with the F2 you’ll find it offers a lot of information by listening to the quality of the signals and comparing that against the numbers it’s producing and looking at that little depth meter on the right. I have found that depth meter to be more accurate than the depth read out during pin pointing. Think of the first block as the 0-2” and the second block as 2-4” and the third block to be below 4”.
Another little trick is say you have iron, foil and tabs notched out and you hit a target that sounds good and it reads in the dime - quarter range and the meter has all 3 blocks blacked out, but on one sweep the signal drops out and you get a queer reading on the numbers. I will turn the power off and back on so you’ll have nothing notched out (that’s faster than un-notching everything) and sweep the target again and you’ll find it’s hitting iron quite a lot. Guess what it’s a good size piece of very rusted iron.
Sometimes it will sound really good and the numbers will be crazy, that’s when I have found some really good stuff like tokens, brooches, knifes, etc.
The only drawback to the F2 is its lack of ground balance. I feel that’s what limits it depth, but you can rest easy knowing 90% of the coins are going to be within its reach.

Cladder

Sep 30, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, minelab xterra 70
Thanks Blockhead,
I'm still really new to this and have been reading alot of post trying to gather information from those who have been at it for a while. I have seen alot of poeople say they dig everything and some that say they use the tones, numbers etc. I just dont want to miss a good find, thinking its trash.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the time you wear out your first set of batteries you'll have a pretty good handle on the F2. So don't drive yourself insane thinking you'll miss something because that will take the fun out of it.
I've been hunting a park that's just a few blocks away for years now and the same spots will always produce coins after a hard winter or heavy rains and because of people’s traffic patterns. I can clean out one area and go back in the spring and there’s more to be found. If you watch people you'll get a good idea where to hunt like the grassy areas right before a parking lot because people reach into their pockets to get their keys out and pull out some change along with them. I have found some really good pocket spills in those areas.
If you got the small sniper coil with your F2 don't be afraid to use it. I like to find those areas that are infested with iron just so I get to use it. I will mark off a 3x3 area with golf tees and very slowly work it from different directions. 50% of the time I'll find stuff worth digging. Or you can just dig every signal in that area and what happens then is you uncover other signals.
Also don’t fall into that trap of thinking you have to dig deep just to find those old coins because I’ve found Indian heads and mercs no more than an inch down. My oldest coin to date is an 1867 Indian head that was laying almost on the surface under a bush. If its old coins you’re after it's all about location, location, location and research, research, research.
It's a never ending learning curve and as long as you’re enjoying the hunt that's what it's about.

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2
I concur.

If you don't want to miss anything, dig everything.

That digital readout can make you lazy, but keep in mind that it's only accurate down a few inches.

The deeper it goes the less accurate it gets.

I almost forgot, in air-testing I have found that in a fast sweep, my F2 will give a quick oneway tone over a super deep dime-size target (10+ inches) that it otherwise would't detect.
Give it a try.

-Sim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread