Why a Fishers instead of one of the others

S

sobered91

Why a Fisher's instead of one of the others

Hi

I'm new to metaldetecting,but it sounds like something I would like to start doing.
I've been reading about all the different detectors and it's got my head swimming.
As how I'm new at this,I'm looking for a detector that's easy to use(although I'm willing to spend the time to learn),but is really powerful.
I'm gonna be moving to England,so I'm gonna need something that's a good coinshooter as well as a good relic detector.
So,to the subject,why a Fisher's instead of one of the others?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Why a Fisher's instead of one of the others

I have an older Fisher CZ6. It has good depth, but is very sensitive to nails.
I'm sure that there are people who have gone to England and can probably recommend a better detector for the type of hunting over there.
Good luck!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

As bk said, Fishers are a pretty sensitive machine. There are other brands out there that can do an excellent job as well. Sometimes I think you'll run into the Ford or Chevy type of guys per se. I haven't hunted in England but IMO, you would want to look at a machine that has a manual ground balance for different types of soil mineralization and as the money is available, get a couple different sizes of coils. Just for the record I run a Fisher also, and if I were going to England, I'd probably want to take more than 1 machine for a backup. Just my 2 cents.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

I BEEN HUNTING 25 YEARS NOW, STARTED WITH THE WHITES 6DB, USED MOST EVERY DETECTOR EVER MADE, I FOUND THE FISHER WAS THE BEST ON DEPTH, AND STAYED WITH IT NOW FOR 11 YEARS , JUST GOT THE COINSTRIKE NOV 28TH 2005, NOT HAD TIME TO USE IT MUCH, SO CANT SAY MUCH ABOUT IT, HOPES THATS SOME HELP. AND YES FISHER CZ DO LIKE SMALL NAILS, BUT WALK AROUND UR TARGET MOST THE TIME U CAN TELL BY THE SOUND..

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

I use a Fisher CZ5 quicksilver and use it exclusively for my coinshooting. For me, it is a very simple machine to operate, with few adjustments having to be made as you search. The manual that comes with it is easy to read, and easy to understand. For some reason, other detectors I have tried seem to have problems with target ID. Actually, all detectors will never ID correctly 100% of the time. Just comes with experience, tones and such, which you will only gain by using.

Anyways, what I was getting to- most all machines seem to ID kinda wacky when it comes to nickels, must be something to do with size or material makeup. I find that the CZ's are pretty good when it comes to nickels, and target fairly well.

Fisher has been in the detector business for a long time, too, and is one of the more reputable manufacturers out there. And pricewise, they're not bad either.

All in all, a good dependable solid machine at a fair price. Just my two cents worth, and no, I am not a dealer..... heheheheh!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, you can place a pretty good bet that if you're getting a signal from a rusty nail or piece of iron, the ID will fluctuate between zinc penny and silver most every time. If it does this, I don't dig it usually. When I do, it's iron. Penny will id as penny, silver as silver, but iron that's rusty enough to fool it will almost always flutuate between the 2. Maybe that'll help save you from digging so many nails. This is on the Fisher CZ7 I use.

A

abrakdabra

As a newb I started out with a Bounty Hunter Lone Star which was enough to get my feet wet, and I didn't know any better. I found things with that but wondered what it would be like to have a better machine. So entered the dizzying array of qualities found in a variety of detectors and tried to come out with my mind made up.

I decided on a Fisher 1270. I've had that, my second detector, for two years now and it's fantastic. Rugged. Man, I've knocked it around and not one complaint. Even had the box break off and tied it on with rubber straps (no bother to the machine). The electronics seem to be locked in place on their cards inside (maybe what they mean by 'crystal locked electronics').

It detects deeply and there is some variety in the tones. It handles soil mineralization VERY well compared to the first detector I had, the Bounty Hunter Lone Star. The latter would be just unusable in some areas while the Fisher sounded out real targets over the mineralization. Hot rocks would have a wavering, strong but not crisp, edged sound like that of a real target like a coin, nail, etc.
t

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fishers are made to take a beating and have a great lifetime warranty.They fix your detector if you are having a problem.I own a coinstrike and goes deeper,especially with the 10 inch coil.I have been detecting for over 30 years and for my money,Id take a fisher any old day. Good luck,Treasuredog

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I owned a Fisher 1225 long ago, traded it up to a CZ6a. I later fell for the hype and traded it for a whiz bang top of the line from a major manufacturer. I was disappointed and regretted losing my CZ.
I now have a newer CZ, from the old Fisher. I have a 1280x Aquanaut and a Fisher industrial detector, along with my Garrett.
I am now looking for something new, and I like the Fisher F44 and Minelab GoFind 66 for a trunk detector
Fisher is known for performance and quality, and value, They don't push the hype much, but their product speaks for them, as their fans are loyal and they are always top sellers.
If you are new, also consider accessories. You will need diggers. A small hand digger will be fine, for most. But buy a digger made for detecting. If you get into it, get one of the detecting shovels.
Knee pads are helpful, and one of those foreign legion hats that drapes down your neck in back.
A waterproof or submersible detector is nice, If you don't get one, get a rain cover.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread