well it took me a while but I jumped...

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
PH.....I have only owned my LTD since the 2nd week of January, so far the weather has allowed me to swing it for a total of 18 hours...so...I am by no means "experienced" yet but I'll give ya my two cents. First off I hope you ordered the machine from a dealer who is well versed in the Fisher machines, I got mine from Lil John at Finders Keepers in Edgewater, MD and his insight has been invaluable so far. I'll tell you what he told me; start with BP mode, Disc at 21, sensitivity at 50 and either 3H or 4H tones. According to John the LTD with sens at 50 is similar to the original F75 at a sens of 95. The initial settings run smooth and quiet here in PA and I have not "played" with the settings too much yet.
I have been a White's user for my entire 5 year MD career and was worried about switching to an unknown machine but I can tell you that fear vanished in the first three hours of swinging the LTD, the machine is light, well balanced and very easy to set up so I'm sure I won't ever look back. Not only that but in a local park that I was ready to give up on I have identified at least 6 good repeatable coin signals that are pinpointing at 10" plus...obviously I need to wait for the spring thaw to dig these targets but that didn't stop me from putting little rock piles and logs at these locations to make finding them again easy.
My best advice would be to read, read, read and talk to current F75 or F75 LTD owners to get comfortable about the machine before it arrives. Check out Tom Dankowski's website if you have not yet done so, this man is a wealth of knowledge and he goes a long way to prove his theories, his site is Dankowskidetectors.com and everyone in our hobby should read his articles on masking.
I have the manual for the LTD in .pdf format if you would like it send me a PM and I'll shoot it to you.
Good luck and HH

Dave

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DKinPA said:
I'll tell you what he told me; start with BP mode, Disc at 21, sensitivity at 50 and either 3H or 4H tones. According to John the LTD with sens at 50 is similar to the original F75 at a sens of 95.

Wow! I have an original F-75 ("pre-upgrade" even that I sent back for that) and I seldom find conditions I can set the sensitivity over 90. The LTD must be hyper-hyper sensitive.

Think of the sensitivity setting like the squelsh on a VHF marine-band radio (as it actually is, though inverted). If you have it set too low you miss all but the very strongest or local transmissions. But if you have it too high you can't make out the speech from all the static, sun-spots, and overlapping traffic that stomp on intelligible signals. There is a best setting, usually nowhere neer maxed out, and that should be your goal. Don't go by the numbers - go by the results. If 45 is the level that allows that, so be it. The sensitivity is not directly related to depth. The detector's transmit power is 100 milliamp or so no matter what the sensitivity setting is at. You are adjusting the receiver circuit. Yes, more sensitivity will pull in faint signals. But is you can't hear them among the chatter you have gained nothing. Every spot requires a little adjustment for optimum settings.

Another tip that the F75 differs from other detectors. You get better target seperation if you sweep fast. Slow it down and you actually lose depth and seperation (in discrimination mode). You want to keep sweeps to 2 or 2-1/2 seconds per pass. That's a lot faster than most folks attempt.

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
Thank you both for the advice. I have ben reading as much as I can on these machines . I have not ben to that web site but as soon as i post this reply I will be headed there. I ordered the detector from the metaldetector.com . Seemed to be a good deal. I also just printed the manual from fishers web site, I am working out of town next week so it will give me something to do in the hotel. I have ben away from detecting for almost a year now. I had to sell me se to pay some bills :(.
So when my wife said I could get a new I ran to the computer and started my research and reading allot of reviews. I liked what I was hering from the F-75 guys so after a week of reeding I just did it, and now I weight.

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
does anyone know why these keep getting pushed back thought they where the same as the camo one just in black so why are the not out yet??????

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Yes thy are the same as camo ones.

Charlie a fast swing on the Reg F75 is deeper but the
LTD in boost mode is a slower sweep mode .
Also many say thy run more stable than standard F75 .

I dont have one , just reading up on them. HH Mike

I do run reg F75 and its sweet.

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
Well I got tired of these getting pushed back so i canceled my order and went a different route... SORRY FISHER im getting a E-TRAC...

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
GreenMeanie said:
Could of bought the camo one LOL.
Guess you where not dedicated enough.

[/quote