Replacing the plastic face on the F70

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
I'm 99% certain thats a "send in" repair only.

Dan B said:
Does anyone know if the flimsy front plastic face of the F70 is replaceable? My F70 would look great if it wasn't for the beaten up look of the plastic face. Is this an item that Fisher labs sells as a replacement part?

Thanks,

Dan

Due to the way its constructed, I seriously doubt FT wants this to be an "in the field" repair. it isnt like the whites screen covers, where the clear screen alone is stick on, and independant of the rest of the face. The cover on the 70, and 75 is the WHOLE cover, and disassembly is required to replace it. is yours damaged somehow?? I have 5 F series Fishers, and all the screens still are in pretty good shape, sans a few minor scratches from muddy hands, BUT, I keep em in soft cases when travelling, so nothing pokes at the screen if they get jostled around with other gear. We have had a number of Whites screens dented and damaged over the years by just that. (live and learn) I've never really damaged one in the field that I can remember. As I said, I'm bettin that you'll have to send it in the get replaced.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not damaged, just looks old and well used. I bought this machine used, and that's how it came. I have an F5 too, and I have a protective film over it to prevent this from happening. So far, that's working out well.

Dan

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
they have a product in eyeglass stores that you wipe on to hide/remove scratches

Dan B said:
It's not damaged, just looks old and well used. I bought this machine used, and that's how it came. I have an F5 too, and I have a protective film over it to prevent this from happening. So far, that's working out well.

Dan

Im bettin that will greatly improve the looks of the screen if you can find it. If not, try plain old car wax (without any compound in it) the wax will help fill the microscratches, and make it look better overall. If you have a tiny buffer...like on a dremel tool, that would shine it right back up............

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Dan

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
One of the first "mods" I made to my F70 was with my digging tool. Swung it from the back of my belt and ran the point into the screen dead center after I set the unit down beside me. Nice big ding in the screen now. A function of the height of the machine when setting it down and my habit of drawing a tool based on my old gear. Argghhhh!

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some polishing wax for clear plastic (headlamps, CDs, etc) and tried a bit of that with a soft cloth. The screen looks 100 times better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
what is the brand name of it??

did you get it at an auto parts store?? I'm asking because my signifigant other happens to manage a parts store, and I wanna see if she has that.......... thanks....glad it worked out for ya........... :icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to a place that offers tanning beds and ask for Novus scratch remover (#2) and polish (#1). I use these on the plastipane/isenglass on the doger of my sailboat and all the various Lexan portlights and instrument faces. It is safe on most plastics. NOTHING will remove deep gouges and scratches except buffing them out by removing the surrounding material - risky.

Once you get a good polish on the faceplate go to Staples, Office Max or Radio Shack and buy some of the cover plastic sheet they sell to protect GPS and Blackberry (etc.) displays (Don't get the pre-shaped, pre-cut, it's too small). If you scratch that you can peel it off and put new on. It sticks just by vacuum alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread