Tom Dankowski and the Fisher CZ-3D .....

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been doing some reading about the Fisher CZ-3D.
Tom Dankowski had written a Fisher Intelligence Report (5th edition) that is very interesting.
I cant see how anyone that reads that document would not be compelled to get there hands on a CZ-3D and give it a try.
He seems to have done extensive field work during the development of that detector and what he says makes a lot of sense.
It is one of the few CZ series detectors that Fisher still makes and I dont know how much longer they will be available.

I have been using one for about two weeks and I think this one will never leave my core arsenal of machines.
If I were more of a coin hunter ... this would be my choice for the older home sites.

Would like to hear opinions from others that have used the CZ-3D as a coin hunter (preferably at older sites) and/or read Tom's articles.

Willee

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Hi Willee Have been metal detecting going on 39yrs, and purchased a cz-3d three years ago. Its the best metal detector I have owned for my type of hunting. I hunt mostly the old forgoten fair grounds, chautauqua sites, and campmeeting sites. I have pulled over 100 pre 1900s from 3 sites. I really like how it brings the older indians, half dimes, and older nickels into the hightone. For coin hunting and finding the older coins I think its one of the better machines.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
I have nothing but good thing to say about CZ's as they are my favorite detector. Tom D is a wealth of info and his site is great.

Keep that CZ3D Willie...it is one of the best all around units on the planet as long as it is tuned to Tom D's specs ( ie. air test depth on clad dime 10+ inches). It can hunt in trash with the smaller coil, hunt old sites with the 8 inch, hunt the beaches with the 8 or 10.5 inch coils.

The only downside I found was you really can't utilize the Enhanced mode in the modern parks due to it bringing some of the aluminum trash hitting as high tones.

CZ's, to me, are one of the easiest, deepest units and the 3 or 4 tones are very easy to distinguish and when you get that sweet, mellow repeatable high tone, it's music to your ears.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed you've had both the Etrac and the V3, Willie. How do you think the CZ-3D compares with those two for depth and hunting in trashy areas?

OP
OP
Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
mrwilburino said:
I noticed you've had both the Etrac and the V3, Willie. How do you think the CZ-3D compares with those two for depth and hunting in trashy areas?

I haven't used them long enough to get a good opinion yet.
But so far I think the CZ-3D is a darn good choice for hunting coins and is just as deep as the E-trac. (considering coil size)
The CZ-3D has a 8" coil (my favorite is the 5") and the E-Trac pro coil is 10" giving the E-trac a depth edge.
The CZ-3D seems to be more sensitive to small silver and gold items.
With the CZ-3D looking for coins in the dirt, I would dig all high tones regardless of what the meter says.
On the beach for coins and jewelry, dig all the mid and high tones.

Cant say much about the White's V3 yet as I have only coin hunted for about 2 hours with it but I suspect I might favor it over the E-trac for coin hunting.
I like the pinpoint screen showing the three frequency's as it does reveal steel bottle caps.

Willee

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Willee.
I use the five inch coil quite a bit myself. I’ve had my 3D since July. It’s a great machine, but can be a real handful in the rusty nail infested areas where I hunt. While the 3D does give you good, accurate audio information to work with, it still can take time away from the hunt when you have to stop and analyze all of those high tone / iron bounces. Been thinking about either getting another mid priced detector to deal with the iron infested spots, or maybe something more high-end to see if I can also squeeze a little more depth and target separation out of some of my sites.

BC_coiner

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2011
Sooke
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Dankowski-modified CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know what you choose for a good detector in the iron-filled spots. I hunt with a cz5 that was modified by Tom to a CZ3D - great machine for lots of places, but it has a tough time where theres a lot of iron.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Willee.
I use the five inch coil quite a bit myself. I’ve had my 3D since July. It’s a great machine, but can be a real handful in the rusty nail infested areas where I hunt. While the 3D does give you good, accurate audio information to work with, it still can take time away from the hunt when you have to stop and analyze all of those high tone / iron bounces. Been thinking about either getting another mid priced detector to deal with the iron infested spots, or maybe something more high-end to see if I can also squeeze a little more depth and target separation out of some of my sites.

Get the AT Pro and the 5x8 DD coil and use it in All Metal Pro Mode with Iron Disc set at 32 or 33 and listen for high tones mixed in the iron

it's a great unmasking machine - I pulled a Merc out of a scrap pile of iron garbage at 6" deep

it takes patience to use the machine this way but that's where it excels

the only thing I wish Garrett would do is install an "Iron Audio Volume Control" allowing the user to turn the iron volume down while retaining the mid/high tone volume so that you can hear them better and don't have to hear the iron so much!

P.S.

I have a CZ6a (predecessor to the cz3d) - the only difference is that the 3d was tweaked to bring some of the older coins into the higher tone range which you can have Tom do to any of the cz's if you wish but I keep mine as is because I dig 90% of all the mid tones anyway so I don't need that conversion done to mine

(but again)

it doesn't matter which cz you buy - they're all deep coin hunters (especially the older units before FT bought them out) - on cz3d's the one's everyone wants are the 1021 and 1023 models as they were still made at the Los Banos plant in Ca. before FT (1st texas) bought them out and moved the operation to TX - there's always the option of buying older cz's too though (like me) - I picked up the 6a a while back after having used a CZ20 for 16 yrs and then selling it to a buddy.

A CZ and the AT Pro are great compliments to ea/other - - -

HH

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much does Tom charge for retuning a CZ5 into a CZ3d? Just curious....They are great detectors!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much does Tom charge for retuning a CZ5 into a CZ3d? Just curious....They are great detectors!

Total conversions like You're asking about (cz5 or cz6/6a etc.) into a cz3d I was told $220 with return shipping included in that price

once converted though - the machine is used in salt mode if hunting a beach or any site newer than 1950s or at parks, schools, or the like due to some of the mid conductors being brought up into the higher tone range

and

in enhanced mode only on sites 1950s and earlier where there will be very little chance of aluminum being found (pull tabs, etc.)

That's why I don't have the conversion done to mine - I like the cz6a "as is" as was made at the factory - - I'll dig most mid tones if I think there's a chance that the target is an Indian Head, or Buffalo, V nickel, etc. etc. anyway - - I like to be able to use it at all sites in "enhanced mode" without any loss on depth of certain targets due to running in "salt mode" (mainly gold and especially small gold).

If I want to use salt mode - I'll use it when/where I have to = at a salt water beach/in salt water where you don't have a choice!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread