CZ 3D Calibration

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
If you wonder if your 3D is in need of a tune up or not , try this.
Take 100 modern Nickles [ not dug or dirty ]
With the 3D in enhanced mode pass the Nickles by the coil at 5 to 6 inches away.
20 to 35% of the coins should ID in the round tab icon and the rest will ID as Nickles.

This is from NASA Tom , who had a hand on the design of the 3D.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom Dankowski's a good guy (my personal opinion), but he speaks for himself, not for the factory.

If someone wants a CZ tuned up the way Tom thinks they should be tuned, Tom's the guy who does that, not the factory. If someone wants a CZ tuned to factory spex, the factory does that.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate over which way is "better", or even what the differences are since the factory has no control over how Tom tunes machines up, nor does Tom have any control over how the factory does it. Both ways "work".

A few years ago before Fisher in California was put on the auction block, the original CZ tweak procedures produced by engineering dept. (that's me) were abandoned in favor of an easier procedure which however did not produce results comparable to the original procedure. (This is the "Old Fisher" I'm talking about which so many people mistakenly venerate.) After the manufacturing operation was moved to El Paso, we discovered that the procedures being used were not the original procedures I'd specified. We rewrote the procedures to conform to the original procedures insofar as practical, in light of stuff we knew now that wasn't known then, as well as accommodating a different manufacturing environment. Nowadays there's a lot less difference between a "Tom tweak" and a factory tweak than there used to be.

Figured I better post this, because the "Tom versus the factory" thing crops up occasionally on forums and gets overblown and misunderstood. Since Tom is not an employee of the factory I can't officially endorse him, but I can report what I read on the forums, which is that he has a good reputation. (And I've had enough contact with him to respect him personally.) If you want a Tom tweak, Tom's the guy to talk to, please don't bug the factory about it. If you want to have a CZ recalibrated by the factory, that gets done at the factory, but it doesn't have anything to do with Tom.

Dave Johnson
Chief Designer, FTP-Fisher

OP
OP
gmanlight

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Dave first off thank you for responding I truly appreciate it and I know that Tom respects you
and the work you do at First Texas.
This post was not written to be a Tom D vs the factory.
The nickel test is the only means I have read to find out if a 3D is out of calibration on not.
My point is, if you're out there swinging a 3-D you would want it running at peak performance.
When I bought my used 3-D it failed the nickel test completely. Turning the disk knob to round tab
it would not signal on a nickel at all, completely discriminated out.
I bought this machine from a dealer who got it on a trade in. After seeing how out to calibration
it was. I wondered how frustrated the last owner was or did he not have a clue that he had a problem
to begin with.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Gman, sorry if it sounded like I was picking on you, that wasn't my intention. When Dankowski's CZ tweak is mentioned on Fisher forums, it often results in a long thread with a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding (although that may not be the intention of the people doing the posting). I'm just trying to avert that from happening yet again.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
gmanlight

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I got my CZ used and after the Nickle test that failed , i started to play with it.
With Disc on round tab it would not hit a Nickle at all
After sending it in for a tune up , the report was,
Enhanced mode was off .
Salt mode was way off.
Unstable by a fair amount and Sensitivity was off.
A tone smear was cleaned up.

There are many adjustments for the CZs , unlike the F series and the new Tek machines
with little or no adjustments. This might also be the down fall of the CZ line. [ Labor Intensive ]

With no 3D experience , how do you realize if its running the way it should or not.
I am happy mine was out of tune maybe thats why i got it.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost sounds like its better to go digital now.

I had no idea you needed to tune these up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions