CZ6 problem

YosamiteDig

Greenie
Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked out a CZ6 (not the 6a) today and something strange happened. I was doing an air test and had a small silver locket and a clad nickel in hand together and the detector would not pick up either one as a pair. When I seperated the two, it registered the signal on each one seperately.
Then I tried a dime with the locket and then a penny and both registered along with the locket. Basically what it's saying is, if theres silver among a clad nickel it's not going to register on the detector.
The detector works fine in all other tests and gets good depth. It's just that clad nickel and silver locket combo has me stumped. Nickels were not disced out during the test.
Does this seem right to you? I was hoping someone had a CZ5, 6, or 6a and see what they get.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Tried it on my 3D dime and nickle together and got a ID
also with my F75 both averaged coins together in zinc range.
Something seems off on your CZ

OP
OP
Y

YosamiteDig

Greenie
Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woof! said:
Does it detect aluminum trash and zinc pennies normally?
That's a roger. It picks up the zinc penny and alum. fine.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Can you define "clad nickel" for me?

I've dug pocket spills with both silver coins and nickels in them before. Can't say they've all rung up in the same cat on my CZ's, because of the variables involving placement and orientation along with ground conditions.

Where did you have your disc set at? Did you have all the lower categories active also?

OP
OP
Y

YosamiteDig

Greenie
Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Can you define "clad nickel" for me?

I've dug pocket spills with both silver coins and nickels in them before. Can't say they've all rung up in the same cat on my CZ's, because of the variables involving placement and orientation along with ground conditions.

Where did you have your disc set at? Did you have all the lower categories active also?
Thanks for the response. Sorry about the term clad nickel. It's just a nickel. LOL.
I had time to run another test on it today. This time using a silver 64 dime instead of the small locket. With the nickel and dime in hand as a pair, it did pick up the signal with some tid bouncing which is expected from the pair of coins. Not sure what it is about the locket, but it and the nickel as a pair would not register at all. The locket by itself registers as quarter. Kinda baffling. :dontknow:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
When you say it would not register at all does that include all targets categories from iron to high tone coin? Did you select auto tune and run the coil over the targets too?

I've had clad quarters with nickels show a predominant foil or round tab ID with an intermittent bounce to all or any of the other high tone categories before.

Coin spills are tough because whether they are newer or older coins if they are a fairly well mixed combination they can read all over the place, but they should definitely read somewhere on a CZ.

I did find one modern Canadian quarter one time that semed to be all but invisible to my CZ at almost any range but there was an intermittent iron and foil bounce.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not rely too heavily on these air tests. It is not indicative of true field conditions. Set scrim at nickels and if a nickel was buried on top of a silver dime, say 4" deep, the machine will not respond to the silver, it's totally masked by the nickel. But it will pick up the nickel. If the two coins are buried an inch or two apart, 4 or 5" deep, and the scrim was set at silver (max), I bet the cz6 will bark on the silver no prob. If the machine was set at nickels in this case, it would still bark high tone I bet, with maybe a bit of mid tone coming thru. I truly believe your cz6 is just fine..

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
gleaner1 said:
Do not rely too heavily on these air tests. It is not indicative of true field conditions. Set scrim at nickels and if a nickel was buried on top of a silver dime, say 4" deep, the machine will not respond to the silver, it's totally masked by the nickel. But it will pick up the nickel. If the two coins are buried an inch or two apart, 4 or 5" deep, and the scrim was set at silver (max), I bet the cz6 will bark on the silver no prob. If the machine was set at nickels in this case, it would still bark high tone I bet, with maybe a bit of mid tone coming thru. I truly believe your cz6 is just fine..

agreed.
You would be amazed what other duos seemingly nullify each other as far as your md goes. Or dare I say when three or more things are combined…

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
CoilFisher said:
Do they even repair those anymore?

I am thinking not?
I think they do Coilfisher... There name is Fisher not Minelab............. But i don't know for sure................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread