CZ21 problem

melbajoe

Dec 5, 2014
ct
Detector(s) used
excal II CZ21 sov gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using my CZ21 for a couple of years almost always in salt water. I recently was using it at a beach near railroad tracks (electric) and not unexpectedly I got interference as trains went by. My problem is that now my threshold is not smooth anymore it is pulsating- this is in auto. I have to turn sens way down. When I switch to disc 1 I get a loud 1 beep high tone. Now this all happens with no metal within 6 feet or coil pointed high up in the air. Could the train interference have caused permanent damage or is it something else. I would love to avoid sending it to the factory for a sick call. BTW batteries aren't new but only have about 10 hours so that shouldn't be the prob. thanks for any help. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your calibration is off from being over loaded.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The electrical interference from the railway probably didn't cause damage, although that's not an absolute impossibility.

When ever you're troubleshooting a problem with a metal detector, first step is to put in fresh batteries. Batts you think are good may not be, sometimes there are dud cells.

If that doesn't fix it, other possible explanations are cellphones (turn 'em all the way off) or other CZ metal detector turned on nearby (say within 50 feet) if you hunt with a friend. If you're near a military installation, could be electronic countermeasures or radar. Cellphone towers can cause problems.

Most likely it's salt water damage, in which case it'll have to go back to the factory. But you'll want to rule out other possibilities first.

OP
OP
M

melbajoe

Dec 5, 2014
ct
Detector(s) used
excal II CZ21 sov gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the input- will charge up my new rechargeables and see how it works. I did test the alkalines and they were a little low( 8.5v). joe
****update- the new batteries seem to have settled the threshold down- will give it a test run tomorrow. thanks again for the sugestions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread