CZ-20 Recommended settings, South Fl East coast beaches.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after a year of trying a combination of different settings i finally found the optimal configuration for my 8" Coil Z-20. For whatever reason my CZ-20 will not ground balance in the East coast beaches in South FL . I attempted the PP method and bobbing method and no go. I traditionally kept the sensitivity at 5, any higher and the falsing is severe, disc a 0-1, audio boost at 9, and GB at 5-8 due to the very low mineralization here. These settings yielded a maximum depth of about 8" on a penny in the soaking salty sand, which as many of you know depth for wet sand is critical and 8" is mediocre for this machine. I decided to set the CZ-20 to autotune with sensitivity at 8, audio boost at 9, GB 5-8, and only switch to 0 disc to check the target. With these settings a low threshold can be heard when going over the wet sand, but the sound of any metal object is perceptively different and the threshold gets noticeably louder. With these settings i now dig pennies at 10" and quarters at 12-13" in the wet sand which is decent. I know that no two CZ-20 are the same as far as calibration but these settings have worked on my friends Cz-21 quite well with the same results. Hope this helps. For comparison my Teknetics G2 picks up the same penny at 7-8" with a low whisper at 100 sens, 0 GB, Zero falsing in the wet sand. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the 8" coil on my cz-20 and the wire broke where it goes into the coil. Didn't want to send it in and have the upgrade done. I was told the CZ-3D 10-1/2" coil would work on my CZ-20. I purchased it online and made the splice inside the box using heat shrink tubes to cover the wires. Man....what a difference this coil makes! It is a hot machine now. The coil works great. I run the sens. at 7. I found that if I go below 5, I am missing gold rings on the air test. Disc. at 0 and autotune, and GB at 5. I noticed too that GB'ing on the beaches here doesn't seem to make a difference. I go from dry to wet and don't have to change any settings. Sometimes the chatter acts up and I back down to 6 on the sens......but not often do I have to do that.

Last edited:

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey goldkey - when you installed the new coil, did you have to open up the main body of the detector? If so, did you have to replace the gasket? I am thinking of opening mine up and wonder what I am in for.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey goldkey - when you installed the new coil, did you have to open up the main body of the detector? If so, did you have to replace the gasket? I am thinking of opening mine up and wonder what I am in for.

Hi Placergold.....I did not have to replace the gasket. Mine was in good condition so I didn't see any reason to replace it. Make sure you leave yourself enough slack from the old wire inside the box to be able to make the splice. You will want to make sure you insulate the individual wires so there's no chance of having a short there. I used heat shrink tubing on each wire. And then I put heat shrink on the whole connection bundle. You have to put the heat shrink on the wires before you splice them together. Also...the CZ-3D 10-1/2" coil comes with a 5 pin connector. It actually only uses 4 of those pins. The black and red wire are both connected to one pin. If you order the coil make sure also that it comes with the 7' cord. I'm really glad I went to the larger coil...sure made a lot of difference. Those 10-1/2" coils can be found for about $120....that's what I got mine for with free shipping. Doing the whole job was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated. There are 4 screws inside the battery box that holds the unit together. When you open the box and pull it apart...there will be one wire that you will have to disconnect...you will see it. It has a slide-on connector. Just take notice when you disconnect it as to how it is connected.....and connect it back the same way when you put it back together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread