verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
saw on kellyco alot of fisher detectors are at discounted prices... the f75 is only 600 bucks with free accessories. could this mean a new fisher detector is coming out this summer? heard a pi was in the works with manta project...
They did buy Manta and the engineer. I would love to see what Fisher does with a Ground balancing PI.

OP
OP
erte

erte

Mar 19, 2017
Croatia
Detector(s) used
gpx 4800, tdi pro, sov gt/xs, sand shark 10.5'', vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if fisher releases a pi detector similar or better than this manta that cuts through iron and volcanic soil then it looks like the end of minelab and all other brands
in the video you can see how the ctx and sovereign compare against this new beast on the block

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beach PI is well advanced. Other new machines both PI and other platforms are under active development.

How soon any of this will reach the marketplace is unknown.

Last edited:

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Carl Moreland the PI could hit the market this fall, but very doubtful this summer. No timeline at all on the MF machine. I do believe that when all is said and done First Texas will find itself at the very top of this industry and will remain there indefinitely.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good question....I asked this question also. The F75 represents excellent value in my opinion. I was set on a Equinox 800 but have been sidetracked by work. I think its a blessing as hopefully FT will be releasing something good soon. Nokta and Minelab have shown their hands and have set a reasonably high benchmark!! Bang for your buck and versatility are what its all about.

Chub

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the discounts seen is related to the competition and price-point set by the Equinox. It's just a whole lot of performance for a mid-grade price. Thats hard for everything else to compete with unless they start lowering costs and adding extras.

Now, if and when the "manta" is released, I see it as a new beach dominator. Probably wont replace many turf hunters but relic and beach may be a whole new realm. Of course, that depends a lot on sensitivity. Being a discriminating PI is great, but if it can't see small gold, thats going to hurt sales

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the umpteenth time, I really do expect a detecting revolution by the end of the year. Film at 11....

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, the now demonstrated 7 microsecond pulse delay (by LE Jag - in France) - ensures that the new Fisher PI will be more sensitive to small gold than any other detector capable of salt beach operation with good depth.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if fisher releases a pi detector similar or better than this manta that cuts through iron and volcanic soil then it looks like the end of minelab and all other brands

Assuming they price it right. I feel like Minelab prices a lot of people out of the market with the CTX, GPZ, etc. whereas the Equinox is going to sell like hotcakes because its sub $1000. I think minelab found the sweet spot with the equinox pricing - people are buying it that don't even need it just because its on the cheaper end. Put the Manta at $1000 or less and I think it could take over the market.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone from FT on you tube replied to this question when I asked it. Their reply was "We're working on technology that will blow your socks off!!" Curious to see.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave Johnson devised the multi frequency system used in the CZ decades ago. Since then the basic building blocks of detector design have changed totally. Complex analalog designs with forests of discrete components and multiple “trimmers” to make everything “dial in”correctly on each individual unit have been replaces with VLSI lmodules and now “systems on a chip” where almost all the signal processing and analysis can be done in software using high speed CPU’s and DSP”s (digital signal processors).

Since that all happened a decade or two ago, it is also now normal to do all the software in high-level languages with powerful programming tools. Light years ahead of the assembly code programming of more primitive processors.

The result is that there are lots of different ways to “skin the cat”. Any useful concept of how to better capture and analyze signals for metallic targets in the earth or sea can be expressed by a variety of hardware and software programming solutions - getting similar results with out infringing on the rights of patent or copyright holders of other systems.

The only things holding up progress in this field have been shortages - shortages of qualified and talented engineers and shortage of investment capital.

Minelab clearly has a sufficiency of both and it is becoming clear that others probably do as well. In the case of First Texas, it is clear that their capability and commitment to the future of metal detecting are real and will show worthy results in the not too distant future.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave Johnson devised the multi frequency system used in the CZ decades ago. Since then the basic building blocks of detector design have changed totally. Complex analalog designs with forests of discrete components and multiple “trimmers” to make everything “dial in”correctly on each individual unit have been replaced with VLSI lmodules and now with “systems on a chip” where almost all the signal processing and analysis can be done in software - using high speed CPU’s and DSP’s (digital signal processors).

It is also now normal to do all the software in high-level languages with powerful programming tools. Light years ahead of the assembly code programming of more primitive processors.

The result is that there are lots of different ways to “skin the cat”. Any useful concept of how to better capture and analyze signals for metallic targets in the earth or sea can be expressed by a variety of hardware and software programming solutions - getting similar results without infringing on the rights of patent or copyright holders of other systems.

The only things holding up progress in this field have been shortages - shortage of qualified and talented engineers and shortage of investment capital.

Minelab clearly has a sufficiency of both and it is becoming clear that others probably do as well. In the case of First Texas, it is clear that their capability and commitment to the future of metal detecting are real and will show worthy results in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough industry to develop new stuff. Many of the companies have been repainting the same old technology for quite some time. Sure there have been some improvements and I love my F75.

I read that minelab has small parts of technology that they aren't using patented and that causes The other companies to tread lightly for fear of legal battles.

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a used TDI. And then I realize that I want the new Fisher technology more. So I'm saving all my clad to put towards my new Fisher.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a tough industry to develop new stuff. Many of the companies have been repainting the same old technology for quite some time. Sure there have been some improvements and I love my F75.

I read that minelab has small parts of technology that they aren't using patented and that causes The other companies to tread lightly for fear of legal battles.

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on a used TDI. And then I realize that I want the new Fisher technology more. So I'm saving all my clad to put towards my new Fisher.

I'll definitely try the new Fisher offering. Had to pull the trigger on the Equinox 800. I figure they're the jeep wrangler of metal detectors for resale value...

Definitely a fun time to be in the hobby.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, the now demonstrated 7 microsecond pulse delay (by LE Jag - in France) - ensures that the new Fisher PI will be more sensitive to small gold than any other detector capable of salt beach operation with good depth.

This is something I 'm going to have to see and read first hand reports of. The bane of PIs is the tradeoff of gold vs salt. Any PI can be adjusted to be a gold killer, but it becomes unusable in saltwater. Make it perfect for deep saltwater and its useless on gold.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No production PI detector has ever claimed (or as far as I know, achieved) a pulse delay as short as 7 microseconds. It is this short pulse delay which makes it possible to detect the smallest low conductive objects. The salt in seawater will be detected by PI depending largely on the volume of salt water the PI “sees”. This is why scuba rated PI detectors for Deepwater treasure hunting have very long minimum pulse delays.

The pulse delay on the Fisher machine will be – I believe – adjustable with the very short minimum pulse delay usable and wet sand and perhaps with careful adjustment of the self adjusting threshold, in running salt water.

LE JAG Has reported that it works at 7 Microseconds delay on wet salt sand – I’m not entirely clear if he has also reported that it works at that short pulse delay in running salt water.

Of course when the machine is released it will be abundantly clear what it will and will not do in terms of detection of extremely small gold at salt Beachs is an in Salt water.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely try the new Fisher offering. Had to pull the trigger on the Equinox 800. I figure they're the jeep wrangler of metal detectors for resale value...

Definitely a fun time to be in the hobby.

I agree ...,..great time to be in it. If you look around metal detectors are one of the most fluid,.. touch and go markets of anything out there that I can see. I mean things can change quick. It really is interesting to watch.,... and that's good for us overall...If you look back a few years ago at what a f/75 was commanding $$ compared to what you can get the package for now it pretty much says it all. Must drive companies crazy trying to keep up with it at times but hey,..part of it I guess.

I personally am VERY satisfied with the F/series Patriot/f75. I think fisher got it right with these machines. A new beach hunter really wont effect me much but if they unload a new dirt digger with MF I'm in.....no doubt about it. Everything seems to be going waterproof,..and that's great I don't hunt in the rain but it makes the machine a little tuffer so it is a plus I know. Whatever they come up with I just hope they leave all the present good stuff in,..I mean really if they added MF,.. especially all at once to the f/75 to me that would be awesome. I have NO request for them on ergononmics..the interface is awesome,..and pleeze don't mess with all the tone options. They are the best in the business to my ears...and there is lots of them. F series is already blazing fast so no worries there. I just don't want any trade offs with the new performance,..build on the great stuff they already got. They do that and ill send them some $$$$$ with excitement :icon_thumright:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new old stock sovereign for the beach. Its not waterproof but it finds all the goodies in wet sand. I live on the Atlantic seaboard so the water is freezing anyway. So apart from the waterproof aspect I feel I have very capable wet sand and inland machines. As i said, Im busy with a work project (more lucrative than detecting...ha ha) so no matter what machines I have...I simply cant use them right now. Where i live the 800 Equinox is freely available - no waiting list.
At the risk of sounding like a Fisher fanboy I will keep the F75 regardless of what comes up. Ergonomics and battery life are amazing. Ive clocked up alot of hours now and know it inside out. I got mine on sale ($499) anyway so Its paid for itself a few times over.
Its been a LONG time coming so I hope Fishers new tector is going to be as iconic as the F75.

Chub

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LE JAG Has reported that it works at 7 Microseconds delay on wet salt sand – I’m not entirely clear if he has also reported that it works at that short pulse delay in running salt water.

I've taken the Manta out on Oregon beaches at 6.5us, with surf running over the coil. Surprisingly stable. Yes, if you pump the coil up & down a lot you will hear the salt, but with a normal swing very little salt noise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread