Venice or South West Florida area?????

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I don't know much about Venice as I live in Pinellas County (just North of you) as for MD'ing. I go to Caspersen Beach and find sharks teeth and have spotted some interesting looking places on the way. I suggest the library, old maps and such, find a railroad map and look for the old depots etc. Good Luck and keep us posted as to your finds!

OP
OP
A

ajtcom

Great, Thanks!
I have been to Venice beach and find a ton of shark teeth there.. it pretty cool.
thanks again! :)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Venice used to be real good for sharks teeth, but they have pumped sand on it a few times in the last 15 years. That covered up the first reef too, which was real good for big sharks teeth. I grew up in Venice. I have found Venice doesnt get detected much, at least in the summer, I find tons of change and 50 cal. cases and bullets. I live in Sarasota now and these beaches do get used more, so you have a better chance of finding lost jewelry, where the people go a lot. Steve.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm in South Venice and work the beaches 3/4 times a week. Plenty of .50 cal. About a month ago we had heavy seas and wind. The cuts were up to four feet. Found a small diamond ring just north of Sharky's.

Perseverance is the name of the game.

I'm the one with the Beach Hunter ID. and the green soda bottle trash container.

If you see me say hi.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont get down that way much, but I have a White Surfmaster PI. I usually do talk to other MDers, so if you see me, Say Hi! Steve from Sarasota.

GYirga

Mar 11, 2006
Welcome Audiyo,
We vacation just a little South of you every year in the Rotunda and Englewood area. This is our favorite vacation spot and go as often as we can. For the past 2 years I have been metal detecting every day during our weekly stays. My best find ever metal detecting came this year on Englewood Beach. A perfect condition working Seiko watch. I had a jeweler in Venice appraise it at $200 to $300.

I have hit all the beaches from Fort Meyers to Venice and loved every minute of it. I have to admit that I have had my best luck at Englewood, maybe because I have spent more time there. As far as sharks teeth I heard that the area around Sharkeys was best but I find more North of the main pier on Englewood. Two years ago I found some old clad and wheats at Boca Grande but last year the park manager decided that he would not let anyone metal detect there any more. If you find out this is no longer the case then by all means hit this area. The older money meant a better chance of silver but they would not let me hunt this past summer. If you find you can hunt please let me know.

Some other items intersting in the immediate area are shells and wildlife. We found a million sand dollars at Fort Meyers, A ton of shells at every beach but especially on Sanibel Island and Englewood, Starfish at Lovers Key below Fort Meyers and caught crabs at the Venice Jetties. It is also common to see Manatees, Barracuda, Sting rays, Dolphins and unfortunately sharks. We arrived at Boca Grande just after an attack on a teen 2 years ago during the 4th of July. All of the above are reasons why we don't go in the water past knee deep.

We love the area and hope my raving was not too long. We live in the Tennessee mountains but love the area you live in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions