N

nsbsurfer

yeah im new at this too. just got my ace garrett 250. gonna get some headphones this week. do i need certain digging tools for my back yard and on the beach? i live in new smyrna beach any good places to goto around here?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For the beach, on the dry sand a scoop with open mesh wire works best. There are many, and since you are in Orlando, there is a place, i cant think of it now, but it is a huge MD store. For the back yard and parks ,etc, a small thin garden shovel will work well. I sharpen the front edge some, so it will cut roots, but be careful you dont cut anything good! Or cable TV, phone or power lines. Those are usually deep, but be careful.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
After a few trips out you will not be a newbie any more. You will have to learn you detector, so read the book and practice...practice... practice..

The Orlando store would be Kelleyco Detectors.

Eveyone has their choice of digging tools. I use an small garden trowl and an ice pick. The point of the ice pick has been dulled down and I use it as a probe to locate coins. Then dig them up. Mainly at parks and camp grounds.

The beach will require a hand scoop. Many choices avialable, but I suggest the stainless ones, they last a bit longer and price difference is not that great.

Happy Hunting

mecke28

Greenie
Aug 5, 2007
Kissimmee,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Kellyco metal detectors showroom on Saturday. I bought a Garrett Ace 250. Dennis who works there was an older gentleman who wasn't much help to my questions and not to nice either and he needs to work on his people skills and when my friend and I drove off about 2-3 miles down the road I realized Dennis forgot to get me my free headphones, so I wasn't too happy and so I called them back on my cell and told them I was on my way back to get my free headphones Dennis forgot to give me with my metal detector purchase, and they had just closed up for the day, but they told me that they would have the headphones waiting for me when I got there, and so another guy who works there hooked me up with my free headphones and he apologized.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that about KellyCo, I dealt with Ivan there, he was very helpful and spent the time to talk about the differences between units. May want to ask for him if he is still there, haven't called there in a couple months . . .

Jack

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has a bad day. I bought my wife an ACE 250 from Dennis not long ago and he was quite helpful. He spent a considerable amount of time with us and gave us all the freebies and stuff they promised plus a discount on their probe.

He is part-time and is retired. Cut him some slack. You will be old someday too!

When I was there once before, Mr. Auerbach the owner, saw me wondering around and gave me the "Grand Tour". It's quite an operation and he is an interesting guy. It's a family operation and he got involved in metal detecting (read mine detecting) in the military long ago.

Nice people but I do wish that all the manufacturers and sellers would be more proactive when it comes to legislation and government matters that pertain to our hobby. I don't see them doing much in the way of convincing legislators and regulators that we are legitimate and also have rights.

Enjoy your new detector my wife loves her's.

My Two Cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions