Megalodon tooth found today!

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a gorgeous day and I decided to go fossil hunting along the river. I got lucky and found my biggest tooth ever. I've got some shots of the finding. It's 3 inches (just barely).

az20.JPG

az21.JPG

az19.JPG

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make a necklace to give me good luck when I went hunting, and it would look really cool around your neck. HH

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in that condition, you might wanna check to see what that one is worth...
could be a LOT!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
NICE tooth !

VALUE = ? Whatever someone is willing to pay. Many years ago, there was little interest interest in these teeth. There were some divers, including myself, who dove in he Cooper River of South Carolina looking for these teeth & other fossils/artifacts. Some of the fine quality HUGE teeth brought large sums of money, & I knew some divers who made their living finding & selling fossils. Lots of divers , now , and land hunters have flooded the market ! Fellow diver, Vito Bertucci was probably the most famous. May he R.I.P.

Largest prehistoric Megalodon shark jaw ever assembled up for auction | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang nice one, my grandsons love everything Meg, I will find a place to take them one day to find one

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Dang nice one, my grandsons love everything Meg, I will find a place to take them one day to find one

Many rivers & creeks have these teeth, but large ones are more likely to be found underwater, & in poor diving conditions ! The creeks around Summerville , S.C. have plenty of these, but no longer allow ANY digging.

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many rivers & creeks have these teeth, but large ones are more likely to be found underwater, & in poor diving conditions ! The creeks around Summerville , S.C. have plenty of these, but no longer allow ANY digging.

I'm getting certified when I head to FL next month. I am down there for the season and need a fun activity (I already have waaay too many shells!). I plan to check out Venice Beach. Maybe Peace river...but it looks kinda creepy (and snakey).

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very nice tooth, complete and apparently undamaged. In this condition, it is likely freshly removed from its clay matrix where it was undisturbed for millions of years. IMO, this tooth is one for display, rather than jewelry use. Most of the teeth used for jewelry are smaller and lighter in weight, and have far less value as collectibles on their own. Around here, the tooth of choice for a necklace is the Hemipristis, usually just called a Hemi, or snaggletooth, about 1 - 1.25" long. A smaller tooth can be mounted by wrapping & twisting silver wire around it. A large tooth like your Meg would require a different approach and probably a drilling - which would be a shame for such a perfect specimen.
Congrats!

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your thoughts Megalodon. It is quite crisp/fresh and I have it in a protective frame. I am somewhat of a novice and appreciate your input.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. That is in fantastic condition.

I have a larger one, but it is bashed and chipped and nowhere near that nice a shape.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks. I feel pretty lucky on the condition. I'm going on a guided hunt this weekend and my sights are decidedly lower.

Good luck Shorewalker! We're going out this weekend too since conditions look good - mid-day low tides and wind from the N-NW should lower water height. If possible, check the tide chart for the area where you are going and try to bracket the low water. We plan 2 hours each side of low tide, so 2 hours on the ebb and 2 hours on the flood tide. Its been tough hunting at low water this year with the massive rain storms. My sights are always lower too but because my wife usually outhunts me. She is very focused while I am easily distracted by creatures in need of rescue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck to you too. Water has been ridiculously high. It's put a real damper on my arrowhead searches and my recent desire to fossil hunt. I used to search for sharks teeth a lot 20 or so years ago and gave it up when I found my first arrowhead. I must have thousands of teeth - but not too many really nice ones. I'm thinking of hitting the cliffs Monday or Tuesday. I'll definitely check the tides.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Cool find. I have a few Meg teeth over 6". I do not get into the meg teeth as most do and keep a few in my collection but use the others for trade bait. My favorite is Giant Extinct Mako, Isurus Hastalis and I have 100's of them and one case I am working on of 3" ones which is massive for that shark.

Keep looking and hopefully you can top this one!!!

OP
OP
Shorewalker

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find. I have a few Meg teeth over 6". I do not get into the meg teeth as most do and keep a few in my collection but use the others for trade bait. My favorite is Giant Extinct Mako, Isurus Hastalis and I have 100's of them and one case I am working on of 3" ones which is massive for that shark.

Keep looking and hopefully you can top this one!!!

I found a nice Mako on the guided hunt along the Potomac River. It's not huge at 2 1/4" but is a beautiful black with white marbling.

w10.JPG

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
There ya go~! Walk along the Potomac River if you can, I know there are some nice teeth found up there. Here in Florida, I think you're located near Venice (for diving) and Peace river for digging and sifting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread