diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my way back from an estate sale today (it sucked sort of) and on the way home I stopped at one of my local thrift stores that I frequent. I found this comport sitting on top of a wall unit with a bunch of plastic grapes draping out of it. I couldn't believe it was sitting there in a store full of a dozen or so "pickers" who literally hang out for hours waiting for stuff to come out of the back room. It's a comport made by the Cambridge Glass Co., the color is called Carmen and it's from the 3011 Statuesque line. It came in 2 sizes 7" and 8 1/2", this is the taller 8 1/2" tall cupped comport. They were very popular in the 1930's-40's and they eventually stopped production in the 50's I believe. These aren't really rare but they are getting harder to find and they are very collectible, especially in the Carmen color line. You won't find this particular piece on Ebay right now or in the last few months. The best part was, it only cost $9.99.

Attachments

• STATUESQUE.jpg
    STATUESQUE.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 188
  • STATUESQUE1.jpg
    STATUESQUE1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 200

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, that's an impressive piece. My first guess was Cambridge when I saw the pics and luckily I was right. Of course, that's always a guess since I see so many modern reproductions with that style to it and I haven't taken the time to truly learn the differences since it's mostly just stemware that I find.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to say that is a really nice find you got there........... As of late i have not had any luck at the thrift store's..........

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazinga- I actually didn't know they reproduced anything from this particular line. I was wrong. I knew it was real by the 3 part construction of it, I did find an interesting article online just now, since you mentioned repros. Here's a nice little read about Cambridge 3011- Crystal Ball Article - 3011 Figure Stem Line - Conclusion

Thanks Keppy, I haven't found anything real good at the thrifts in months, except for this.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Keppy, I haven't found anything real good at the thrifts in months, except for this.

Thrift stores were once pure goldmines. Even in the early 2000s while the eBay craze was still hot. Then in the mid 2000s it all dried up and they went to their own online auction website. I use to find a lot of amazing stuff. Now, I find a random small piece of Fenton here and there that somehow got overlooked.

From older antique dealers, I've heard that before eBay they were just incredible.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, i've heard the stories too. Even when it came to "estate sales," down here many times the family would take a few personal items they wanted and set the entire contents to the curb. My wife's family owned a sanitation business for more than 50 years in Miami Beach. Her brother has told me some crazy stories of things he's found and sold in the past. I'll have to get some of the pictures he has from back in the day and post a few. Pick up truck loads of depression and collectible glassware. He's the one I learned alot of what I know from when it comes to glass. The good ole days have came and went.

PS- I found another nude piece today, not as good as yesterdays nude but it was only a dollar.
Consolidated Glass, Dancing Nudes, Frosted Crystal, salad plate

100_6708.jpg

S

stefen

My grandfather worked for Cambridge Glass Co from it's inception and retired prior to it's closure...

Three uncles also worked for the Company, one of which was the mold maker...

The son and grandson of my uncle that was the mold maker, still own a significant number of the original molds (His patents) and has been in negotiation for the molds.

The glass factory, was at one time, the backbone of Cambridge Ohio.

My sister inherited a statue vase (dresser accessory) that was made for her grandmother, and is a light powder blue with a slightly darker saucier...(identical to the vase shown above)

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather worked for Cambridge Glass Co from it's inception and retired prior to it's closure...

Three uncles also worked for the Company, one of which was the mold maker...

The son and grandson of my uncle that was the mold maker, still own a significant number of the original molds (His patents) and has been in negotiation for the molds.

The glass factory, was at one time, the backbone of Cambridge Ohio.

My sister inherited a statue vase (dresser accessory) that was made for her grandmother, and is a light powder blue with a slightly darker saucier...

:thumbsup: Interesting story. Your right, at one time many of the now defunct glass companies were the backbone of the towns they were located in or near. It's very sad and for the most part, that part of America is gone. Even Fenton has closed their doors. I'm nosey, do you know what company (ies) your kin have been negotiating with for the molds?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig - I must say, I've never seen that plate by Consolidated. Of course, I rarely even take a look at plates anymore. They have to be something extra special to catch my eye.

stefen - Hopefully when they sell the molds they put some rules in the contract like they have to mark them so it's known that they are newer and not originals. Sadly, most of the big glass factories died out in the 80s. Luckily I was able to take tours of Fenton, Boyd, and Mosser a few years ago. My grandparents have told me stories about them visiting Imperial and Westmoreland when they were closing and how they were basically giving the stuff away at the time.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting link.

Maybe it's just that I've always loved Phoenix/Consolidated vases, but I just don't find that line all that appealing (except in the vases and those green wall sconces, those were pretty awesome!).

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you. I buy to sell, so personal likeness doesn't enter the equation.:icon_scratch:

Ha! Yeah right! If that were a true statement, my house wouldn't be full of stuff i've had for years. :laughing7:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the glassware I buy, I only buy it if I know it's an easy flip or it's something that I don't mind having around the house for the next couple of years.

I think I should go the other route, though, haha. I should only buy stuff I don't find appealing so I have more motivation to sell it and get rid of it. I've kept too many items that I was originally buying for resale, haha.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
glass

001.JPG 002.JPG

I love glass and can't keep from buying if the price is right. Two of my finds this weekend: a Blenko fan vase for $2 and 3 of these plates for $1.

004.JPG

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Good Question. I don't know. They are strickly decorative since the leaves and feathers are raised. My guess is that it was stencliled or silk screened on both sides and fired so the design was fixed and then glass dots were dabbed on to give texture. Maker unknown at this time.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold- I have several pieces of Blenko, I may start to part with. The best piece is probably my #5419 tall sea green pinched decanter designed by Husted. It's one of his early pieces from 1954. All I have to do is find the box it's in.:icon_scratch:

S

stefen

:thumbsup: Interesting story. Your right, at one time many of the now defunct glass companies were the backbone of the towns they were located in or near. It's very sad and for the most part, that part of America is gone. Even Fenton has closed their doors. I'm nosey, do you know what company (ies) your kin have been negotiating with for the molds?

As of a year ago, my cousin had not parted with the molds...can tell you that the patents were held by my uncle and not Cambridge...

Another cousin, in the early 1980's, was in negotiation with Imperial to purchase the 25 acre facility in an attempt to reopen it as a working museum...wanted capital from myself and several other relatives...Imperial went BK...so ended that saga...

Apparently, a person walking thru the plant would see work-in-progress sitting at the work stations as if the workers were taking a lunch break...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread