Old Singer Sewing Machine

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Hey everyone! I'm new to garage sale hunting. I usually coin roll hunting, but thought I would try this. I spent about $22 total. My friend and I went to a church sale, and we saw a singer sewing machine box that looked old, the price on it was $30, and we really wanted to only put $15 in because we couldn't open the case, but there was obviously a machine in it. We decided to leave and go back later near the end to see if the church would take less, and they sure did. We got it for $10! We split the costs took it to my friends place and managed to pick the lock, and there was a nearly antique 1924 black and gold Singer Sewing Machine in it. We have no clue if it works and we are not going to try it, because knowing us, we'd break it if it did. We looked up value and determined we should be able to get between $60-$80 + shipping for it. Also picked up 2 old slide projectors and some 50's records 78's) at 5c a piece, took a shot with them. I bought 73 of them, all he had, and will just list to sell on eBay like $25 + shipping.

Attachments

• image-159948499.jpg
    image-159948499.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,400
  • image-35991660.jpg
    image-35991660.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 885
  • image-3844424492.jpg
    image-3844424492.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,816

Henry2

May 27, 2011
I hope you make out good, although the market on sewing machines is dead lately, to bad really because I run across tons of these but it seems nobody wants them anymore. A couple weeks ago I seen 2 old style cast iron foot peddle machines in the back of a scrappers truck:-[

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i owns me a peddle one and werk great hates to see them junked

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
yeah, we had no clue that even if it was worth someing, let alone anyone buying it. We really just decided to gamble. The one I have in working condition in very nice shape was at $110 + shipping with 2 days left, and 4 different bids. Like I said, this was just getting a feel for how the whole process works of buying and then selling is the tough and most time consuming part. I will be listing all of the items, but he said we could split all profits 60/40 which is fine with me, I have nothing else better to do. I really just listed it to sell $50 plus shipping, because then we'll profit about $20 each, just want to get rid of it fast really. I don't know if I should try to operate it or not, because if it works, it's worth quite a bit more.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
So I just sold it for $50.00 + shipping, probably could have gotten more out of it considering how fast it sold, but a profit of nearly $20 is fine with me. :P The friend and I wanted a quick turn around and we sure did get it. Probably could have gotten $70 out of it, but that might have been pushing it.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, looks like an old model 66 possibly a model 99. You can find what model, when and where it was made online with the serial number (found on the base on the lower right, just below the brassard). They are easy to rewire and lubricate and you can find detailed instructions online for that. It's gratifying to redo one of those ugly old ones and make it look and work like brand new. Most parts you have to by online though. I've been using an old model 201 I rebuilt for three years now without a hiccough. With the correct needle it will sew through 1/4 inch of leather and then turn around and sew fine silk. Total cost of purchase and restoration about $40. Attachements are also easy to find and some of them easy to sell. The new machines are unrelieable, unless you spend an arm and a leg. No there's not a good market for them, but are a lot of fun and good experience for the beginning restorer.

All of that being said, the model 221 featherweight is highly sought after and, in good condition, will sell quickly for around $250 (I sold one on Craigslist in two hours). Many people really like the model 201 series and they sell fairly well, restored, for around $150.

Good luck,
capt-zero

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt-zero, you seem very knowledgeable on antique sewing machines. I belong to a quilting forum that has a section on vintage machines. Your expertise would be welcomed there, too. PM me if you are interested in the link. I LOVE my Centennial 221. Was my Mom's, now mine.

Take care.

Anita

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of that being said, the model 221 featherweight is highly sought after and, in good condition, will sell quickly for around $250 (I sold one on Craigslist in two hours). Many people really like the model 201 series and they sell fairly well, restored, for around $150.

Those prices are just depressing. Around here in the midwest you couldn't touch a Featherweight for under $300 even as little as 5 years ago. Grandma has about a dozen or so that she would like to sell, but the market is so soft on them right now that she doesn't even want to waste her time.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, things just ain't what they used to be.
I like the fact that James is so young but has developed an interest in buying and reselling for profit. I wish I had started at his age, i'd be sitting pretty right now if I was doing this back during the heydays, before eBay depressed the market on everything that was once considered "rare" (at least at a local level). Keep at it James and if your lucky you won't have to depend on working for some other schmuck to make a living. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Yeah, I started with coin roll hunting for silver and old cents and then I found the garage sale hunting forum and thought I'd give that a shot. So far I'm even with some stuff to sell still. Have some leather cowboy boots worth like $15-20 a pair I picked up for 50c for each pair. And picked up a french WWI medal for $15 worth like $30-$35. I think I'll do pretty well this week. It was fun too, but at te end of the day, it's about making money...for me at least. I know I'm selfish...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions