Platinum and diamond antique watch found in a box of junk

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gruen2smallharp.jpg

Marked 900 Plat, 100 Iridium, Gruen Precision. It has a lot of small diamonds and the diamonds have tested real, so the plat must be real too. The watch is missing its crown. It was in a box of broken junk and cheap fake watches all of them still in repair envelopes from the estate of a jeweler. Only one other watch in the box was worth not throwing away, a Vulcain that I auctioned on ebay for $45 or thereabouts. I got them and a couple trays of NOS crystals and gaskets for making repairs, some jeweler screwdrivers, and a few odds and ends for $40.I also bought 3 heavy men's rings marked "925 silver" with stones, all three for $21, which turned out to be plated junk. I think the gals running the sale did not know the rings were fake, or that the Gruen watch was real. I didn't know for sure until I got back to the ranch and checked them out. I was right about the watch, wrong about the rings. Win some, lose some.

Attachments

• gruenback.jpg
    gruenback.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow -terrific find on a great watch. Is the band also plat?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i would remember the ladies that put on the estate sale and make sure to attend more of them, if they can't spot their jewelry =)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job, that's worth some money:thumbsup:

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction: the three 925 rings were in fact, silver. I can't remember now why I thought they were junk. Sold 2 for $25 each and the one with the aventurine cabachon for $35. In the ebay ad I said it was jade, and I thought it was. But looking at it now, with what I know now, I think it is aventurine. Any thoughts on that?
View attachment 1216466

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread