Post your $1 (or less) Finds Here w/ Sold For Prices

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I wish you'd posted that Litho block here, I'd have Id'ed it for you in a second! I used to spend a lot of time priting and with other printers, I never did litho but I learned a lot about it. Here's a fun fact, there was only one mine in the entire world that produced the correct limestone for those blocks, and sometime in the somewhat recent past it ran out, meaning that however many printing blocks exist now is the most that there will ever be, and that number will keep getting smaller as they get broken, lost, etc. Where I used to print had all kinds of weird broken shards that they still used because they had no choice. It doesn't really matter because most litho printing is done with metal plates now, but its still interesting to think about. Great finds!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. Does buying a lot at an auction and then breaking it down to what may be $1 or less count in this thread? I bought a Vintage Camera lot must have been 300 or so individual items. If I break it down to cost per item they would be less then $1.

Posted this question back in sept. After 2 months of pictures posting packing of the camera and camera accessories it finally has run its course. To make it easy I will say the average item cost me One Dollar. The lowest item I sold was $15 and the most expensive item sold was $600.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this question back in sept. After 2 months of pictures posting packing of the camera and camera accessories it finally has run its course. To make it easy I will say the average item cost me One Dollar. The lowest item I sold was $15 and the most expensive item sold was $600.
I hear ya! LOL

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China Cups & Saucers priced a dollar each set

These are my recent one dollar buys. I purchased them in a little church run thrift shop. On the bottom of each saucer they were marked with a black magic marker 1- and I asked does this mean a dollar for each cup and saucer and they said they are. They give a 10% senior discount, so that brought each set just below a dollar each and all 4 sets cost me around $3.98. I put all 4 sets on eBay and a buyer from South Korea bid them all up to $86.75. FYI most old China cups & saucers have minimal value, but if you see any made by Shelley of England pick em up if they're in undamaged condition as they are collected by many folks across the globe.

Attachments

• IMG_20171106_145710.jpg
    IMG_20171106_145710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20171106_145737.jpg
    IMG_20171106_145737.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 221
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my recent one dollar buys. I purchased them in a little church run thrift shop. On the bottom of each saucer they were marked with a black magic marker 1- and I asked does this mean a dollar for each cup and saucer and they said they are. They give a 10% senior discount, so that brought each set just below a dollar each and all 4 sets cost me around $3.98. I put all 4 sets on eBay and a buyer from South Korea bid them all up to $86.75. FYI most old China cups & saucers have minimal value, but if you see any made by Shelley of England pick em up if they're in undamaged condition as they are collected by many folks across the globe.
Nice find. Anytime I see a Shelley teacup and saucer, I get it. They are some of the highest selling sets on ebay. Paragon and Aynsley are a couple more. Not all are big money makers, but many are.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
siding brake: free from a cleanout, sold for $200 (craigslist)
dust collector: free from a cleanout, sold for $100 (craigslist)
coil hooks: free from a cleanout, sold for $50 (flea market)
new healing music CD/book set: free at garage sale, sold for $90 (eBay)
DVD set: free at garage sale, sold for $50 (eBay)
vintage board game: paid $1, sold for $40 (eBay)
Florida Move Guide book: paid $0.10, sold for $17 (Amazon)
silverplate handled bowl/platter: paid $1, sold for $10 (flea market)
silverplate tray: paid $1, sold for $5.25 (scrap)
walker, crutches, vacuum cleaners: paid $1, sold for $6 (scrap)
broken lawn sprinkler: free on side of road, sold for $0.11 (scrap)
vintage highly politically incorrect book on ethnic sexual practices paid $0.50, sold for $5 (flea market, the young couple that bought it was thrilled)

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll say! The price was right, so you can afford to take the slow dollar over the fast nickel. The nice thing about books is they can sit on the shelf for 5 years if they have to. I'd price in the middle of the pack based on condition, write a good description and take good photos, and store it safely. If there's ever a collectible book auction or show in your area, you can pull it as needed.

I put it on Amazon. Books sell faster and for higher prices on Amazon.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't know that about selling books on Amazon. I'll have to remember that.

Sent from my E6782 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

I do about 90% of my sales on Amazon. The fees are much higher, the prices received are much higher, and listing stuff up for sale is much much faster. Anything new, Tech, or books go on Amazon. Collectibles go on Ebay.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I do about 90% of my sales on Amazon. The fees are much higher, the prices received are much higher, and listing stuff up for sale is much much faster. Anything new, Tech, or books go on Amazon. Collectibles go on Ebay.

Similar here, except I do less than 2% of my sales on Amazon. These days, most of the stuff I find that sells on Amazon for a decent price is restricted, so it goes on eBay instead.

I would argue against your statement that books sell faster and for higher prices on Amazon. For current textbooks and nonfiction (95% of books worth selling) this is true, but for antiques, pre-ISBN books, coffee table books, and lower-priced nonfiction I have found that high-end flea markets, retail shops, eBay, and auction houses often get higher prices and sell more quickly.

In my experience, the customers on Amazon also tend to be worse than customers on eBay and other venues.

But all of that said, if I have a choice of platform I choose Amazon. Simply because it is, as you mentioned, far easier and faster to list there. In the time it takes to make one eBay listing I can list 10-20 single items on Amazon.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
A few more items:

set of skis: Free from a moving sale, sold for $25 (craigslist)
pair of time recorder punch clocks: Free from a cleanout, sold for $15 (auction)
sealed VHS tapes: Paid $0.50 each, sold for $4 each (eBay)
ugly cracked asian tureen: Found on side of road, sold for $8 (flea market)
broken appliances: Found on side of road, sold for $8 (scrap)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But all of that said, if I have a choice of platform I choose Amazon. Simply because it is, as you mentioned, far easier and faster to list there. In the time it takes to make one eBay listing I can list 10-20 single items on Amazon.
This (above) is the only thing that may interest me in selling on Amazon. My experiences as a buyer on Amazon has been way worse than eBay and I've only made 10 purchases maybe. The majority of those problems have been shipping. Or sending the wrong item, twice. As far as books go, as a buyer, my last 3 books have been purchased off ebay because they were less expensive than on Amazon. As a buyer, I look for best price for many items, books in similar condition being one of them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid a dollar for a silver Nintendo GameCube and just sold for 59.99 on eBay.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would argue against your statement that books sell faster and for higher prices on Amazon. For current textbooks and nonfiction (95% of books worth selling) this is true, but for antiques, pre-ISBN books, coffee table books, and lower-priced nonfiction I have found that high-end flea markets, retail shops, eBay, and auction houses often get higher prices and sell more quickly.

I only sell books on Amazon if mine is the lowest price book, and it is selling for $9.99 or more plus shipping. Once a book gets to $9.98, I pull it off from sale, throw it on to my stack for my garage sale, and I sell it for $2.

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing great here, just more of the usual.
ButterBell crock paid $1 sold 9.95 (thanks for ID Treasurenet!)
Yet another Wii Mario Kart paid $1 sold $21.95 (these are bringing more now than 6 months ago)
Tupperware butter dish paid $1 sold for 8.95
Boxed set of LP's paid $1 sold for 7.95
another windstream modem paid $1 sold for 12.95

Below are items from an auction lot I paid $3 total for.

Tupperware sugar bowl 50 cents sold for 14.50
" salt and pepper shakers paid 50 cents sold for 16.95
" " " " " paid 50 cents sold for 12.95
Vintage Dexter knife paid 50 cents sold for 24.95
stove lid lifter paid 50 cents sold for $3
bowling ball paid 50 cents sold for 9.95

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a new one. I was at an estate sale, and they were selling their books for 4 for a dollar. Good. I find about 20 books over my minimum price, $10.00 a book on Amazon. I spy an Auction Catalog for "Treasure of the Spanish Main." The auction was in 1967. The price on Amazon is a soft $60. I say soft because there was one catalog available, that means it is likely just some guy who put up a ridiculous price, and there is no market. Typically, these run out their 2 years in my stockroom, and then go to Donation. I put it up for $56.99... Damn if it didn't sell. Auction Catalogs? Alrighty.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Auction Catalogs? Alrighty.

These can be a great item, congrats on the fast sale.

A few more for the list:

vintage industrial office chair free on side of road, sold for $30 (auction)
700 lbs of mixed steel and other metal: picked up for free, sold for $61 (scrap)
vintage block and tackle: free from a cleanout, sold for $15 (auction)
horse saddle: given to me by a friend, sold for $15 (auction)
mold remediation fogger: free from a cleanout, sold for $15 (auction)
lot of safety goggles: came free with a lot purchased at government auction, sold for $25 at a different auction
textbook: bought for $1, sold for $8.75 (Amazon)
book on American Indian heritage: bought for $1, sold for $9.30 (Amazon)
tea kettle: found in dumpster, sold for $0.24 (scrap)

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theses were $1 a box for the larger 3 but then the smaller boxes were free. Did a .99 cent auction as they did not sell for christmas.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1515034955.600042.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread