1961 Aurora Frankenstein Kit found at estate sale

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this kit at a local estate sale, was surprised to see it as it wasn't advertised or shown in any photos. An original 1961 long box Aurora Frankenstein's Monster model kit! Best of all it's complete in box and never put together. Paid $6, can't go wrong with that!

image-154647758.jpg

image-62198181.jpg

image-1846771635.jpg

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find but im might burst your bubble. Are you sure its not the 1999 release from toy's r us, they even made the boxes look like they were older.Only reason I know that is I was seeing what it was worth and found a few from the rus that looks like your box.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Well the paper instructions say 1961 and have Aurora advertising on it. Personally I have seen a few kits and they are always in pieces and always have no boxes and are always painted and always way the hell overpriced. Nice find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Rest assured, that's the original version. The boxes are slightly different. The re-releases have more writing on them.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I don't even know the value but would have picked that up for $6.

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your replies, I was happy to find it. Rest assured, it is the real deal like Diggummup said. Fun to find them not all glued up and broken!

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest way to tell is if there's a UPC code on it. Those didn't exist in 1961. The first UPC code was used in 1974. The 1999 "reissue" will have the UPC code on the box somewhere.

Scott

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh! I remember those models. There was the Mummy, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Hunchback, Dracula I think and some others I believe. Building models of all kinds was how you spent your winters in the later 60's. There was a neighborhood hobby shop that had a slot car track we'd all spend time at and they'd have model build contest. I would envy some of the best one built by the older fellas. They would add such detail on their models. I'm surprised that kit survived untouched like that. Not sure on the vintage of this, but I can't see it being later then the mid 70's the paper instructions look to have a bit of browning due to age. I would also think how the box is constructed could give a clue also, just:dontknow: .... Neat find!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
A year or so ago, my wife bought a boxed lot at an estate auction for $5. In the box was an Aurora Blue Knight model kit. The kit was complete but the box wasn't in great shape. I think she sold it for around $35. The Blue Knight isn't as famous a character as Frankenstein and your box is in much better condition. I think you'll do well with that. Nice find!

I remember these monster models well. I had a few including The Mummy, Wolfman, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh! I remember those models. There was the Mummy, Creature of the Black Lagoon, Hunchback, Dracula I think and some others I believe. Building models of all kinds was how you spent your winters in the later 60's. There was a neighborhood hobby shop that had a slot car track we'd all spend time at and they'd have model build contest. I would envy some of the best one built by the older fellas. They would add such detail on their models. I'm surprised that kit survived untouched like that. Not sure on the vintage of this, but I can't see it being later then the mid 70's the paper instructions look to have a bit of browning due to age. I would also think how the box is constructed could give a clue also, just:dontknow: .... Neat find!
Your telling your age now, lol. This is the 1961 version. Here is all you ever wanted to know about Aurora Monsters kits- The History of Aurora's Monster Kits - from AuctionWatch.Com

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are some examples of what the new box end from 1999 looks like, and what the original one like mine looks like.
$_57.JPG $_57.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread