Gillettes and a little help IDing a conservation officer patch

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Finally scored some Gillettes, paid $9 for the 3. The plastic disposable was from a different sale, got it as a free throw in cause who wants an old disposable razor? I just thought it was cool looking and was thinking there can't be many around anymore. It is made by Tomac but had a Gillette blade and razor style.

As far as is can tell only one has numbers and letters, B1 on the silver one. B on the left hand side and a 1 on the right hand side.

As for the patch I have had no luck. I know some of these patches can go for big money so I didn't want to list it before I knew more. I live in the Chicago area and can't recall any towns or municipalities with the GS (or is it G5?) initials. Our conservation officers tend to be named by county (forest preserves) or Great lakes (Lake Michigan). The G might stand for game? I don't think it is Canadian as most of their patches have a moose somewhere on it. Obviously no states have GS initials. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for looking. Oh ya paid .50 cents for the patch at an estate sale. Which is funny in itself as it is the first time ever I was not allowed to make an offer for an entire lot.

Lady had 5 boxes of mostly jewelry and watches and the patches mixed in. I asked can I make an offer for all your stuff? She said no, I am selling them for someone else. You don't say!? I gave her a confused look and then just paid for my patch.

006.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the gold one (not in the case) is from the 20's. I have an identical one that I researched a little but it has some sort of weird #s on it that I can't exactly figure out & is quite different than the # on the other one I have that's from 1962 & silver (it's a twist open top type with a twist adjustable blade) its marked H 3. Your silver one marked B 1 would be one made in first quarter of the year in 1956.

I got mine with 3 vintage metal dispenser boxes of 5 blades each (Personna 74* tungsten plus blades). The blades are worth at least as much as the 2 razors!

http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes

EDIT** I can see the numbers on the gold one not in the case... Those are Patent & serial #'s & that is how you figure out the date... they are small & hard to read.
Picture 28.jpg

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The diamond & arrow logo was introduced in 1908 & I'm betting that one isn't much newer than that. The oldest one of the 3 I'm sure.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the exact same razor here Vintage Gillette Open Comb Style Safety Razor Brass 1930 3 Piece Collectible | eBay

Still trying to find the 3rd one, it has no marking except the gillette logo and mad in usa.

Also i wanted to know what is the best way to go about cleaning them? Just soap and water? Dishwasher?

Your silver razor is a 1956 super speed flare tip. If you collect them or use them to shave, it's a great find.

Cleaning them is fairly easy but can be time consuming if you want them to look their best. Personally I use a ultrasonic cleaner but before I did that I had my other methods

The best was is to open the razor and put it in a small bowl, then cover it with freshly boiled water and a few drops of dawn dish washing soap. Let it soak for about 15 minutes then brush all of the crevices with a soft toothbrush and more dawn soap. Keep repeating this with more hot water until you have attacked all the areas. I usually did the inside of the head, outside, underside and then the handle to get it all clean.

Once that is all done, you might uncover the date code somewhere underneath the head

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some more looking and can offer you some more info to guide you towards an ID. Gillette razors were plentiful and sometimes a new model only had a slight change to it. Your 1956 super speed flare tip razor was offered in 1958, with just the vertical lines on the upper half of the handle, and was called the tv special due to it being aired on the Gillette clavacade of sports. It basically the same razor but with a slight design change that most people wouldn't notice.

The gold razor w/on the claw looks like a "New" and could be for the foreign market. The one in the case appears to be a 3 piece ball end tech. I would spend a hoour or so over at Mr Razors website so you can get a better idea of what you have

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best site I have found for dating Gillette razors. Even has all the strange numbers going back to the early 1900's. I just sold several Gillettes on ebay last week. One was a Black Beauty Gillette super adjustable. It was a beauty and looked near new. If I shaved, I would have kept that one, but Im bearded and don't ever plan on shaving it. US Gillette Dating Information - ShaveWiki - Badger & Blade

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do really NEED some help on that patch though, spent a few more hours looking and found squat.
I probably spent a good 30-45 minutes the other day looking. Did as good as you, nada. I'm thinking it is a 5 though and not an S, though I searched both

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I probably spent a good 30-45 minutes the other day looking. Did as good as you, nada. I'm thinking it is a 5 though and not an S, though I searched both

Thanks for the try. I noticed some conservation patches going for ridiculous moneys, $500+. Hopefully mine falls into that category, but without knowing what those letters stand for I might reduce the interest.

The only conservation stuff I found for G5 was part of the specie danger code, G5 being the least, and I mean danger as in extinction. Well the only other thing I found was that G5 might be a rank, like a military E9 etc. Either way well see what it goes for in a couple weeks, I am out of free listing for this month. I never thought I would use all 150 in a month.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Ok, I wouldn't let this rest so I did some more research. I found a that the Quantico Marine Base has a Conservation Section, named G5. MCB Quantico - NREA - Conservation Law Enforcement Section and here http://www.quantico.marines.mil/OfficesStaff/G5InstallationsandEnvironment.aspx

From doing more research it seems there are public hunting and fishing on the Quantico base and the marines help patrol.

I was just curious if any military personal would have some more information?

I looked up some Quantico patches on ebay and they seem to be loaded with more graphics and verbiage, compared to my patch. However mine does seem to be a bit older. Any further information would be appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Well I listed the patch and within an hour I had a bid. That is a good sign.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
Update

Sold 4 Gillette razors (found on more during the week) $13.50, $18.50, $20.50, and $26. Not bad for a $11 investment. Also sold the patch for $46.98. Not bad for .50 cents.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update

Sold 4 Gillette razors (found on more during the week) $13.50, $18.50, $20.50, and $26. Not bad for a $11 investment. Also sold the patch for $46.98. Not bad for .50 cents.
What did you start the razors at? I have a couple similar ones I picked up the week before last that I want to list. And congrats on that patch, good find.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
What did you start the razors at? I have a couple similar ones I picked up the week before last that I want to list. And congrats on that patch, good find.

Started them all at $9.99 free shipping. I do free shipping mostly because I found out my top rated seller discount is not applied to shipping final value fees. Just another angle by ebay to squeeze a buck.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started them all at $9.99 free shipping. I do free shipping mostly because I found out my top rated seller discount is not applied to shipping final value fees. Just another angle by ebay to squeeze a buck.
Thanks, that's what I was figuring. On the free shipping, I find myself doing the same on most items lately and I wasn't even thinking about my top rated seller discount but now that you mention it ... :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread