The Jewelry Jar bug has bitten me!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to "she who shall not be named", I have gotten bitten by the jewelry jar/bag bug at the local Goodwill stores! I have been lucky a couple times and found pieces that made it worth the $$. Thanks mjm... Anyway, I stepped up and bid on jar of jewelry at one of the auctions and won. Curiously, the main jewelry jar buyer bid once and stopped. I paid $250 and someone told me I overpaid for the jar because the jewelry expert stopped bidding and said the jar wasn't worth it. I think it turned out pretty good since I found a few grams of 14k and a lot of silver, including some Taxco pieces. But I'm stuck on a sterling watch that was in the jar. Not sure about the value. But I found the exact watch on eBay with the seller trying to get $350.00. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the name on the watches? Are they swiss made?

The second bracelet from the bottom, the ones with the gems looks gorgeous!!! How big was the jar?

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold one is Bucherer. It was a decent watch(Swiss at least) until I decided I was capable of opening the back. After I opened it, I turned it over and discovered I had broken the glass face somehow! So I'll put it in a watch lot for eBay(I have a LOT of budget watches). The Silver watch has a Diamond in quotations marks in place of a name, and has Quartz at the bottoms. The back of the case also has the Diamond in quotes, Japan Movement and 925 at the bottom.
It is the twin of this watch:
Quartz Marcasite Onyx Mother of Pearl Sterling Silver Watch | eBay

The jar was about 12 inches tall and filled for the most part. Lots of bracelets(costume). I'll post a pic of the Costume and a pic of the silver and bit of gold.

The bracelets with the pretty colorful stones are marked Thailand. Not awesome, but better than being from China, I think.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't be so quick to dismiss the costume. I was just cleaning up my desk. I am getting to the bottom of the pile, and pull up this ugly farm necklace. I google it.
Farm Animals Necklace - Wild Bryde Nature Jewelry Designs | Animals wildlife flower earrings
who buys this junk???? I'm gonna list it for like $29.99.

so look through the stuff carefully. BTW, I had a Bobby Jones watch. I ordered a special tool I've been drooling over to open it. Well, the tool didn't work, and when I flipped the watch over, the face was cracked. :-( So that is in my watch lot I have up. I've got three of them, and no lookers it seems. Oh well. I think this is a bad time for listing.

I would love to see pictures! The pretty one with stones is silver, not gold?

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you buy this lot online or in the store?

I've called several local goodwill stores and it seems that they only sell bag lots online now.

Even the scrap gold (and silver) is commanding better than scrap value. CRAZINESS!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Even the scrap gold (and silver) is commanding better than scrap value. CRAZINESS!

But did you notice that jewelry is getting right around scrap value?? I have a ton of gold to list, but now I'm thinking of sticking with the costume stuff and waiting until the fall to list my gold.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg Bought at the store. The local GW stores have silent auctions for a week and then start from highest written with and do a live auction on Saturdays. This GW is known for its jewelry jars. The manager knows jewelry and puts good stuff in them. Found out later that she didn't put this one together, but it turned out okay. Here are the pics...all of the bracelets on the left of the gold necklace are sterling, as well as almost all of the rings on the left. Everything on the right of the gold necklace are the costume pieces, plus the stuff I put back in the jar. The gold necklace is a 4 gram Aufarin 14k piece. I listed it at $95 and $130.00 just to recoup some cash back. I realized after hitting several GW auctions Saturday...I spent well over $600!!! So I am suspended from GW until I sell a LOT of the stuff I have accumulated!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Also, the Wilma Flintstone looking necklace has sterling clasps, but not sure about the pretty rocks on it.

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
NICE! I have the same problem. I can't stay ahead of my CC bill because I keep buying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread